Jump to content
Urbannizer

Development List for Buildings in Houston

Recommended Posts

Interesting article, a little worrisome but these trends seem to ebb and flow so hopefully it will bounce back. I personally would only consider living in the city or well outside of it. The middle ground seems to have the worst of both rural living and urban living with few of the advantages of either. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

The number of Houston-area apartments permitted in the 12 months ended April 30 was up 200 percent over the previous year, elevating Houston to the No. 2 spot of top metros ranked for permit activity, new data shows

 

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Houston-apartment-permits-triple-from-a-year-ago-13942693.php

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Back to the whole population question, this article from the Kinder Institute should put into perspective that Houston surpassing Chicago is not a given by any means.  Not that that necessarily is a bad thing ... but I’m sure much of the article may come as a surprise to many, in particular the net domestic migration. I’m sure the stats for LA and Miami look similar in terms of components of population change, even omitting the large drops in domestic migration in 2016 and 2017.  Are there any demographers out there? That out-migration is pretty spectacular ... I wonder if there are any historical parallels for a single year.

 

https://kinder.rice.edu/2018/04/10/houston-suburbs-are-booming-harris-county-not

 

38 minutes ago, Triton said:

 

There just cant be near the number of New single family builds inside the loop / Harris county, as there will be in the suburbs. When we rely on multifamily units to boost our population, we need to remember it will eb and flow with economic conditions.

Edited by Avossos
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Net domestic migration of -40k during a period of national economic expansion cannot be written off as an “ebb and flow.” Those numbers are truly shocking, at least to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Avossos said:

 

 

There just cant be near the number of New single family builds inside the loop / Harris county, as there will be in the suburbs. When we rely on multifamily units to boost our population, we need to remember it will eb and flow with economic conditions.

 

Not really surprised. Its interesting data though. Suburbs have historically been easy access ways into large cities because typically its expensive to live in the interior of an urban area. We have seen enormous growth in the interior in past years, but this was mostly because it was so cheap and sparsely populated for so long. It seems that in this first round of urban growth things might be plateauing in regards to domestic and internationals coming in from other places until more units are built and what is already existing ages more until it becomes more affordable and then the cycle will turn. What I have been seeing is most of the people that are moving into town are people that have been living in the suburbs for long periods of time, or their kids are moving into town. Its also interesting that where you lived in suburbia also informs where you will live within 610. Here in Montrose, most people I have meet, the younger crowd, are coming from Memorial, Katy, Energy Corridor, Cinco Ranch, etc... When I go to The Heights, again the younger crowd, its from places like Cypress, Tomball, Klein, The Woodlands, Spring, etc... Where I've been seeing more Domestic expats and International expats that immediately move into the city and not the suburbs are in places like Midtown, EaDo, East End, and now they are trickling into 3rd Ward. Again though this isn't surprising since there aren't a lot of vast exterior suburbs to the East of town for people to move from with the exception of those in the South like Clear Lake, etc... (which I haven't had a lot of contact with interesting enough so my sampling will be skewed. Would like some additional support here).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Back to the whole population question, this article from the Kinder Institute should put into perspective that Houston surpassing Chicago is not a given by any means.  Not that that necessarily is a bad thing ... but I’m sure much of the article may come as a surprise to many, in particular the net domestic migration. I’m sure the stats for LA and Miami look similar in terms of components of population change, even omitting the large drops in domestic migration in 2016 and 2017.  Are there any demographers out there? That out-migration is pretty spectacular ... I wonder if there are any historical parallels for a single year.

 

https://kinder.rice.edu/2018/04/10/houston-suburbs-are-booming-harris-county-not

 

Interesting article. My guess is this. Most of our blue-collar workers live in Harris County, while the other counties are more white collar. When the oil bust hit, the oil industry shed about 300,000 mostly blue collar jobs, all across the country but concentrated in Houston. Most of those jobs have not come back. Many people had moved here short term to work those jobs, just like people moved to Williston, ND, and Midland-Odessa. When they lost their jobs, they moved out.

 

If Harris County still isn't growing in a couple years then I will worry; until then, I'm not concerned.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

 

Interesting article. My guess is this. Most of our blue-collar workers live in Harris County, while the other counties are more white collar. When the oil bust hit, the oil industry shed about 300,000 mostly blue collar jobs, all across the country but concentrated in Houston. Most of those jobs have not come back. Many people had moved here short term to work those jobs, just like people moved to Williston, ND, and Midland-Odessa. When they lost their jobs, they moved out.

 

If Harris County still isn't growing in a couple years then I will worry; until then, I'm not concerned.

 

Agreed. Its kinda like that spike in Homelessness that was stated in that one article, but then it went down once people that normally wouldn't be homeless found shelter again. Its why I didn't really care for the guy in the article saying "those days are over". If we simply pulled that frame further out and look at the overall Houston population trend? Its going up and at faster rates than the cities that were talked about. We are growing at a faster pace than a city like Chicago. Its why I'm not concerned either. Its weird because they have the data, but are looking at it from a microscope level and not looking at overall trends as well. You also can't just look at data in the abstract. Its only part of the equation. People always seem to get that part of statistics wrong.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he considers it over now I can't imagine what his reaction would have been if he covered the oil bust in the 80's.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, mattyt36 said:

Back to the "world cities" discussion . . . Houston moved up 6 spaces to 35 in ATKearney's ranking of global cities.

 

https://www.atkearney.com/global-cities/2019

 

From the article:

 

"Houston jumps from 41 to 35, largely because it is attracting more global firms. The city also improved its relevance in search results, a metric that indicates heightened interest. "

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

 

From the article:

 

"Houston jumps from 41 to 35, largely because it is attracting more global firms. The city also improved its relevance in search results, a metric that indicates heightened interest. "

 

As long as it wasn't because it was part of a string that included "flooding" . . .

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harvey had an effect on our migration and most likely is the only reason Houston had negative net growth. We have tons of new residential developments in Harris county and I don’t think anyone is worried about losing people. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2019 at 10:39 AM, mattyt36 said:

Net domestic migration of -40k during a period of national economic expansion cannot be written off as an “ebb and flow.” Those numbers are truly shocking, at least to me.

 

All the freeway widening projects are doing their job. They are moving people into other counties. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Luminare said:

In order to really get this back on track, I guess I can show y'all what I've been working on the past week. Its not ready for prime-time yet (meaning a dedicated thread in Going Up *which I'll try to get it pinned*), but thought it would be nice to give a good preview. Basically I'm working on a dedicated HAIF Development map. I'm sure there are others out there, but I've gotten tired of either searching for them or relying on others to keep them updated. It still has a ways to go as there is so much content on this site to comb through. For now I'll leave the link here:

 

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/edit?hl=en&mid=1J_89cR1sxP4muIAHRJlm6TajoQPyoswJ&ll=29.754389702550483%2C-95.37732897909723&z=14

 

Says can’t open in map.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

Says can’t open in map.  

 

I'll try to look into it. Never really done this kind of map sharing. Appreciate the heads up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Luminare said:

 

Now try. As well as those that probably couldn't see it before. Forgot to press the share button and give permissions to those who have the link to access the map. Let me know if it works.

 

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/edit?hl=en&mid=1J_89cR1sxP4muIAHRJlm6TajoQPyoswJ&ll=29.744508003201226%2C-95.37503325305198&z=16

All set brotha!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's always kind of amazing to see how much development is happening in the city and then to look at a map like this and see how relatively small of an area is actually being developed compared to the rest of the city. Thanks for the work Luminare!

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Luminare said:

 

and I've only scratched the surface. Whats on there right now is just the first page and a half of "Going Up". More to come. Wanted to find some way of giving back to HAIF.

 

Thank you for all the work.  I'll be bookmarking for sure.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, BeerNut said:

 

Thank you for all the work.  I'll be bookmarking for sure.

 

Appreciate. When I make my official post I'll also be needing assistance with it. You guys are the eyes and ears. I'll probably try to recruit people for things that I'm not very good at finding particularly for the "On The Market & Rumors" Section, and "Demolitions". Theres other things that I have in mind as well, but those are a few things.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Awesome! I literally started something like this yesterday before I saw your link. I thought "Ah. Great minds. ;-p" and this is easily 1000x better than what I was doing! Thank you SO much! Let us know how we can help. 

Edited by pm91
Got so excited, forgot to actually say thank you... my bad!
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2019 at 1:42 PM, Luminare said:

 

Now try. As well as those that probably couldn't see it before. Forgot to press the share button and give permissions to those who have the link to access the map. Let me know if it works.

 

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/edit?hl=en&mid=1J_89cR1sxP4muIAHRJlm6TajoQPyoswJ&ll=29.744508003201226%2C-95.37503325305198&z=16

 

Added to first post of this thread.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Don't forget about TMC3 and UH additions including the Medical School.

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hindesky said:

Don't forget about TMC3 and UH additions including the Medical School.

 

Definitely. Still a lot of stuff to put in.

 

Just traced out the entire NHHIP (North Houston Highway Improvement Project). Its on the map now.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 11:53 AM, Luminare said:

In order to really get this back on track, I guess I can show y'all what I've been working on the past week. Its not ready for prime-time yet (meaning a dedicated thread in Going Up *which I'll try to get it pinned*), but thought it would be nice to give a good preview. Basically I'm working on a dedicated HAIF Development map. I'm sure there are others out there, but I've gotten tired of either searching for them or relying on others to keep them updated. It still has a ways to go as there is so much content on this site to comb through. For now I'll leave the link here:

 

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/edit?hl=en&mid=1J_89cR1sxP4muIAHRJlm6TajoQPyoswJ&ll=29.744508003201226%2C-95.37503325305198&z=16

EDIT: Link should be fixed.

 

 

This is amazing! Don't forget the proposed midrises on Navigation @ Runnels St.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heck of a service you performed Lum! This is a really cool dashboard for the whole city's development with a quick drill down into the hive's detailed content.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow.

 

Pulling out to smaller scale really brings home how massively the western end of Allen Parkway and the former Brown & Root complex are going change things if/when they come to full fruition.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is really fantastic. 

I'd suggest also checking the Historic Preservation Tracker for projects - a lot of them are extremely minor, but it'd still be interesting to see how many there are.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Appreciate all the support! Shifted focus to infrastructure. Just finished tracing the proposed TCR highspeed rail route from NW Mall to the point where it exits Harris County. Dropped in some of the proposed MetroNext Light Rail Extensions and station locations.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another cool thing about you creating this ma is you can save it to your google maps and use it to get around town and see all the projects in person/get photos.  I know a lot of the usual construction update peeps are familiar with where things are going up, but for someone like me who has a better knowledge of what the projects look like than exact locations, it's very helpful!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Things I've added to the map:

-Memorial Park Improvements
-288 Improvements
-Grand Parkway Segments

-59 610 Interchange

-The Boulevard Project

-Now into page 4 of going up. 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Google maps has updated the 3d imagery for the Med Center. Looks like it’s up to date as recent as Q1 2019. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/18/2019 at 11:05 AM, Luminare said:

Underlying trends I'm noticing/things I've been looking out for while making this map (thus far):
 

-Braun Enterprises (seem all in on The Heights)
-Brookfield Properties (New York based which bought up a local realtor that held a bunch of office properties in Houston, all in on Downtown)
-Urban Genesis (Local crew which has really exploded of late. They are all over the map, but focused on more "historic" neighborhoods)
-Tipps Architecture (these guys keep getting small commercial work here, and its easy to see why. They have a very consistent look, and designs are good/consistent)
-large "urban core" projects explosion incoming

-multifamily is not slowing down in the slightest

-when you hear an announcement about a multifamily or "urban core" project. keep a look out for surrounding areas. the "dominos" of properties that surround these kinds of projects fall pretty quick (which is really good sign of forward momentum)

-are we all the sudden florida? we are getting a steady stream of "senior housing" in all areas of the city
-affordable housing has momentum in EaDo and East End *EDIT* and 3rd Ward

 

Again this is absent of the heavy hitters. Wanted to highlight the underlying trends I've been noticing.

would like to know more on Urban and Tipps 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, marstrose said:

would like to know more on Urban and Tipps 

 

Remember, service guarantees citizenship.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are more tower cranes on the Washington corridor than in downtown.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Luminare Please don't forget about the 2 projects currently going up in UH plus the probable UH Med School and the 2 going up at Rice Univ.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, hindesky said:

@Luminare Please don't forget about the 2 projects currently going up in UH plus the probable UH Med School and the 2 going up at Rice Univ.

 

Definitely. I'll be doing a round robin of universities and school districts at some point. Reserving those for late....and because those mega threads take a bit to piece together.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Luminare said:

This area is on fire right now, figuratively.

YM0ix8o.jpg

 

Not even done plotting everything in that area yet.

 

What's even crazier to think about is that if you included all of these proposed and under construction projects, and then added color to everything that has been built or redeveloped since 2000, nearly this entire picture would be in color.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The light rail extension needs to be built and some derivative of the complete street also needs to be built to transform Washington Ave. A median would help so much.

 

Wasn’t Washington Ave TX-75 back in the day? 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Luminare said:

This area is on fire right now, figuratively.

YM0ix8o.jpg

 

Not even done plotting everything in that area yet.

 

Dont forget 1818 washington Ave is u/c and the center street property has a new parking lot on it. right side of map..

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...