Development List For Buildings In Houston

Urbannizer

Any news on when the city will release an updated downtown development map?

Updated downtown residential and hotel maps posted today. No material updates from what I can tell.

Residential

http://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2015-01-28/150126_Residential_Map_1-28-15.pdf

Hotel

http://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2015-01-28/Hotels_Map_2015.pdf

Also, I realize this is fairly technical, but believe the Downtown District and not the city produces the development map. 

• Like 2

Updated downtown residential and hotel maps posted today. No material updates from what I can tell.

Residential

http://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2015-01-28/150126_Residential_Map_1-28-15.pdf

Hotel

http://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/2015-01-28/Hotels_Map_2015.pdf

Also, I realize this is fairly technical, but believe the Downtown District and not the city produces the development map. 

Thanks for the correction.

That one map of the residential in downtown is really glaring as far as the location and numbers of units downtown. It really puts into perspective that even after this latest boom we still have a long long time to go before there is a noticeable difference in the number of people living, and walking around downtown.

Thanks for the correction.

That one map of the residential in downtown is really glaring as far as the location and numbers of units downtown. It really puts into perspective that even after this latest boom we still have a long long time to go before there is a noticeable difference in the number of people living, and walking around downtown.

Not a noticeable difference? They are tripling the total number of residential units downtown.. Sure it will "only" be 7,500 or so people vs 2,500. But that's 5,000 more people to potentially be out walking the streets of downtown breathing pedestrian life into the area outside of the typical 9-5 business hours. It will definitely be noticeable. Now wether it's a "significant" population for a downtown area is a whole different story...

You should know by now cloud that I think that this is all awesome stuff, but just saying the job still isn't done and I hope that the City still understands that. We will know if they do understand when they hopefully renew the incentive program for another round.

• Like 2

I don't think they plan to renew the incentives program any more.. I'd be surprised if they did. I think the idea was once enough development started and a residential base was proven to be successful these developments would start coming downtown on their own, sans any incentives.

I don't think they plan to renew the incentives program any more.. I'd be surprised if they did. I think the idea was once enough development started and a residential base was proven to be successful these developments would start coming downtown on their own, sans any incentives.

True, but I don't think it's enough yet. We won't know the results of these latest builds for at least 3-5 years and that leaves a sizable gap in the number of possible developments you could attract. I think a second round of incentives might be in order. Maybe not a blanket incentive, but ones that target different areas of downtown and is a bit more selective and specific from a design standpoint. That way they aren't just throwing more money, but instead are focusing their efforts.

• Like 2

Not a noticeable difference? They are tripling the total number of residential units downtown.. Sure it will "only" be 7,500 or so people vs 2,500. But that's 5,000 more people to potentially be out walking the streets of downtown breathing pedestrian life into the area outside of the typical 9-5 business hours. It will definitely be noticeable. Now wether it's a "significant" population for a downtown area is a whole different story...

Hmm a rough count shows about 3200 units (current and fyture) south of the planned Dallas district and east of the skyline district. That seems major to me on an area that was mainly surface lots/low rise buildings.

• Like 3

WTI Oil's at $52 a barrel this afternoon, and I'm not sure why.

The Chronicle had an article that said $50 a barrel oil was going to shift the center of gravity for development from the west side to the east side. The problem is a lot of those petrochemical plants operate with minimal staffs, so employment will drop after construction is done. On the other hand, the developers can always try to entice manufacturers of products using plastics to set up close to the plants do as to take advantage of the raw materials being generated, and that may employ a larger number of people. Throw in the pending opening of the Panama Canal, and there's an incentive for a whole lot more manufacturing, warehousing and distribution.

But oil back at $75 will allow this town to continue growing without sending prices at the pump above $3 a gallon.

• Like 2

Found this on Swamplot this morning that featured a blog about Downtown. Attached to the blog was this recent presentation which is very comprehensive and has a lot of enticing stuff to look forward too:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3cpcamao57yz1gh/Central%20Houston%20member%20presentation%201-13-15%20-%20final-sm.pdf?dl=0

I'll take some screenshots of some of the more compelling images. One being a development plan for the reworking of the Pierce elevated, which might make the truth about TXDOT making some serious changes to the recent plans due to public feedback, a reality. Another images is on the second slide which shows the growth from 2007 to 2017 (full build out).

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 2

One being a development plan for the reworking of the Pierce elevated, which might make the truth about TXDOT making some serious changes to the recent plans due to public feedback, a reality.

woah! looks like they might actually be going through with the idea i had a few years back. that would be fantastic.

woah! looks like they might actually be going through with the idea i had a few years back. that would be fantastic.

Me and you probably had the same idea. I was actually working on a concept till work got super busy. I imagine that because they aren't really going to be touching this rebuild for another 5-10 years maybe even more it better to go forward with a more sweeping vision than the lowest possible effort which would have been to just expand all the freeways. It's come to a point where that just isn't practical and there is a serious movement to take away the Pierce anyway as well as getting rid of the eye sore which is 59. Still a long way to go, but it looks like this might overall be a victory for the communities at large. The one piece that needs to be seriously addressed is the portion of the freeway further up White Oak Bayou where 45 converges on I-10. I think that is a perfect opportunities to dramatically change that entire interchange and create something that is very unique to houston. Possibly a signature and better organization between the Wards, freeways, and the bayou. If the East End and Washington Corridors were able to change TXDOT's mentality then certainly those areas can as well.

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1

I don't remember where it was posted about the suburban styled chase bank in downtown and how it did not fit in that part of town. Just read in the chron that it is now for sale.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/columnists/sarnoff/article/Luxury-tower-to-be-built-near-Galleria-50-oil-6079880.php 

i posted that comment. that bank has always irked me.. glad to see such a prime piece of property is finally on the market to be redeveloped. i just hope whoever gets it has a bit of imagination and connects the site into the bayou (it runs under one corner of the site). one of those high end hotels with residences on top could be cool here.. Market Square needs a hotel and Houston could use a Ritz or something of the like.

• Like 4

i posted that comment. that bank has always irked me.. glad to see such a prime piece of property is finally on the market to be redeveloped. i just hope whoever gets it has a bit of imagination and connects the site into the bayou (it runs under one corner of the site). one of those high end hotels with residences on top could be cool here.. Market Square needs a hotel and Houston could use a Ritz or something of the like.

Hotel Icon is right across the street from Market Square

Building in question.

15919532153_f5d75707ac_c.jpg

That bank was featured in a scene in the movie Paris, Texas, and the architecture is a unique relic of Houston's "space city" heyday. That said, tear the damn thing down, it's an embarrassment.

I wonder how floodplain issues affect this block.

Not sure what redevelopment prospects are like with the Downtown Living Initiative used up, the block south of Market Square waiting to be developed, the Houston Chronicle building going on the market, and the economy being what it is.

If it were my investment, I'd probably hold it and wait for Midway to do their thing with the post office site.