Development List For Buildings In Houston

Urbannizer

^Yes, we're not doing bad - I just wanted a few more projects in and around the downtown area.

Atlanta has a better topography than Houston.  The hills are interesting and add a challenge in developing anything, of course we have the water in Galveston Bay but that area is soo heavily industrialized it has made development there very difficult.  No one wants a view of a petrochemical plant afterall!  But that same industrial base is what makes this the strongest economy in the country.

• Like 1

I guess I'm just bummed that ATL's downtown has a lot more residential than Houston.  Their residential buildings - and a few commercial buildings are more innovative than just about anything we have.  Go click on the map and center around the Downtown area, they have a lot of nice proposals under works.

609 is nice - but I would hardly call it ground breaking (considering Hines did Pennzoil/Transco/Republic Bank).  Hotel Alessandra is nice too.  All the buildings except Chevron in Downtown are spec buildings, so I won't blame oil companies conservative design nature (if they are indeed) on those.

You must be looking at a different development map than I am.  I don't see anything in Atlanta developments on that map that is better than ours and there is a whole lot less of it (including downtown residential) than on the Houston map.

I am the owner / builder of http://devmap.io and I'm really excited to see all of your contributions! Please feel free to give any feedback / suggestions, I want to make devmap.io a really simple, collaborative reference for all things development. Also, if you'd like an easier to remember way to get to Houston's map you can use http://houston.devmap.io.

Well, this woulda been nice to know!!! Greatly appreciate the openness to sharing.  Collaboration is key. HAIF 2017!!! Sorry, I got carried away  :D

Here's a development map for all of Houston. The best thing about it is that anyone can add a project to the map, and it's pretty easy to use. I've added quite a few, hope you guys contribute as well. :)

http://devmap.io/cities/houston/developments

You'll probably want to pin that to your first comment of this thread. It's already starting to get buried!

Based on that development map, there is just no love for the east side!

Yeah, I'm including both.  Still, Atlanta has some nice projects.

And remember folks - potential or planned doesn't mean anything until dirt is being moved and a crane is put up.  How often have we seen "potential" buildings not come to fruition in the past?  Very often.

• Like 2

You'll probably want to pin that to your first comment of this thread. It's already starting to get buried!

Based on that development map, there is just no love for the east side!

I may just replace the list with the map, downtown map and relotts images. The list will still be available, you'll just have to go over to SkyscraperPage for it.

Atlanta's midtown and downtown are connected by continuous development, so I think it is fair to compare them to downtown Houston. Looking at the two maps, it looks like downtown Houston and midtown+downtown Atlanta have about the same number of total projects, but Atlanta has much more high rise residential buildings proposed. I think that Uptown and Upper Kirby are the most to blame for downtown lacking in high rise residentials compared to Atlanta. While I might give a slight edge to Atlanta in overall building design, I still think 609 Main is better than anything proposed in Atlanta.

• Like 1

Atlanta's midtown and downtown are connected by continuous development, so I think it is fair to compare them to downtown Houston. Looking at the two maps, it looks like downtown Houston and midtown+downtown Atlanta have about the same number of total projects, but Atlanta has much more high rise residential buildings proposed. I think that Uptown and Upper Kirby are the most to blame for downtown lacking in high rise residentials compared to Atlanta. While I might give a slight edge to Atlanta in overall building design, I still think 609 Main is better than anything proposed in Atlanta.

Atlanta has an established pattern of residential high rises in Midtown that makes more ambitious development possible. Downtown Houston just got into this with One Park Place. I'm just happy that we have the proposals we do; if we can get those off the ground, the progress will be extraordinary and then we can talk about the next level.

Edited by H-Town Man
  • Like 2

Atlanta is ahead of Houston in residential downtown. And some of their proposals are quite nice. Just my opinion.

What I envy most about those is the concentration of new projects in Midtown. They are really building an urban environment there block by block, while our high rises are scattered between Uptown, Downtown, Upper Kirby, and all over. I still wouldn't trade our downtown and its more big city feel; Midtown Atlanta doesn't synergize with their Downtown, it's too far to walk, and their downtown lacks our mass of buildings and tight street grid.

At the end of 2013, 274 million square feet of office space in Houston Market. 11 million square feet of new office space under construction. (This number seems different from different sources) I would forecast at least another 5 million must be going up this year.

http://www.costar.com/News/Article/Market-Trend-Houstons-Office-Deliveries-Construction-and-Inventory/157185

What year did/does the Exxon sq footage hit? If it's when it's completed, that's 3 million sq ft right there. Downtown will have ~2.5-3 mil sq ft of office u/c with 609 Main, 6HC, capital tower (though I guess that one technically isn't u/c yet), and Hilcorp.

Then aren't there a handful of new towers in the EC? Energy center 3, 4, and 5, energy towers 3 and 4, and at town & country aren't they building one or two high rises?

The new Phillips 66 complex (2 mil sq ft I believe), then the two projects further south around beltway and Richmond.

How many office buildings are going up in Hughes landing? Then there is the research(?) complex across the lake with a handful of new office buildings.

Actually I just reread your comment. Maybe you meant 5 mil of new projects would go up this year, not counting the 5-10 mil sq ft that carry over from last year. In which case I agree. I wonder how much office space was under construction in Houston in the early 80s...

609 Main is 41 floors now? How accurate are the floor counts on these things?

I noticed that too and wondered the same thing.  Is this a new update or have they failed to update it from the original announced height and square footage?  

EDIT:  The previous version of this development map had it listed as 47 stories and 1 Million square feet.  Hines and Colvill websites still say it's 48 stories and 1,000,000 + square feet.  There appears to be a linkage problem that brings up a prior version of Colvill's  609 Main at Texas website.  If you do a Google search for 609 Main, then click on the first result (Colvill's 609 Main website, then click on "Click to Enter".  This takes you to a page that says the building is 41 stories and 815,000 square feet (the old numbers).  But then when you try to click further into the site, it takes you to the updated page saying the building is 48 stories, 1 million square feet.

I suspect someone who updates the downtown development map did a Google search and posted the old numbers based on that initial result.

Edited by Houston19514

I wouldn't be upset if (38) the parking garage across the street from MMP ended up getting canceled.  Why put this directly next to the stadium???

With so many surface parking lots near MMP being developed (at least 5 blocks by my count), it may be useful for parking during Astros' games. Although it's not like anyone goes to games these days...

• Like 2

Makes sense, but I think that location is prime for something that creates street activity. I would take a watering hole

Agreed, they should have built a parking garage over the two narrow parking lots east of minute maid, between the stadium and 59, with skybridge ramps from the garage directly over to the upper decks of the field.

I expect several as of yet unannounced projects to become public in the near future including hotels and multifamily high rises in uptown, a couple office/mixed use projects along the Allen parkway/memorial corridor, a perhaps some additional condo high rises which are picking up serious steam in houston.

• Like 5

Alright that does it, before I was just giddy with excitement but now it's just starting to become a staggering portfolio for this city.

Looks like those demographers got it right, Houston is Americas next great elite city. It's not just the highrises but the city is booming in every way except public transport IMO.

BTW, start expecting more from TMC and other med centers in Houston metro. HBJ has the healthcare boom neck in neck with the energy boom, which speaks for staggering volumes.

Edited by Sellanious Caesar

I expect several as of yet unannounced projects to become public in the near future including hotels and multifamily high rises in uptown, a couple office/mixed use projects along the Allen parkway/memorial corridor, a perhaps some additional condo high rises which are picking up serious steam in houston.

Can you confirm if any high rise condos will be announced for Downtown? I mean, it's great that Uptown is booming, but I would hate to see Downtown get left behind. Downtown is already way behind The Central Business Districts of other comparable cities, like Seattle and Atlanta. I would hate for it to get even farther behind by not building more during these boom years.

• Like 1