Development List For Buildings In Houston

Urbannizer

for those freaking out about Capital Tower being missing from the last development map.. the most recent updated map came out the other day and has Capital Tower, Chevron Tower, and 6 Houston Center back on the map under planned.

http://www.downtownhouston.org/site_media/uploads/attachments/

Perhaps they should be left off since we have no start dates?

Edited by LTAWACS

Looks like Houston is making front page cause of oil:

http://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21646221-americas-fastest-growing-metropolis-faces-up-cheaper-oil-life-sprawl

20150314_USP004_0.jpg

FOR a view of Houston’s economy, get in a car. At the intersection of the Loop and Freeway 225, two motorways in the south-east of the city, you drive over a high, tangled overpass. To the east, where the port of Houston sits on Buffalo Bayou, the skyline is an endless mass of refineries, warehouses and factories: Houston is an oil town. To the west, glistening skyscrapers and cranes puncture greenery. In between, the landscape is a sprawl of signs advertising motels and car dealerships.

Houston is not pretty, but it thrives. In the decade to 2010, the population of its metro area grew more than that of any other American city. Between 2009 and 2013 its real GDP increased by 22%, more than twice as fast as the American economy as a whole. Its growth infuriates new urbanists who insist that dense, walkable places such as Manhattan or San Francisco are the future. The question is, can Houston continue to thrive in an oil bust?

Edited by Triton
  • Like 1

Latest census numbers are in; as of July 1, 2014, Greater Houston had 6.5 million people. Even with the oil shock, the city could be at 7 million by 2020.

500,000 more people on these roads. I'm taking a helicopter into work.

• Like 2

We absolutely need to look at more alternatives to highways. They are maxed out. There comes a point where congestion brings a city to a complete halt. We expanded the Katy Freeway not that long ago and look how much of a mess it is already.

• Like 7

Latest census numbers are in; as of July 1, 2014, Greater Houston had 6.5 million people. Even with the oil shock, the city could be at 7 million by 2020.

Yeah in the 4 years since the census Houston increased by 500k. by July this year houston should be about 6.625M. So that would leave about 375,000 away from 7 million with 5 years to go.

I think Houston should hit 7 by late 2018, early 2019 in a slower scenario and early 2018 in a moderate scenario. If Houston was to maintain the 2013 to 2014 rate then it would be nearing 7 million by superbowl and passing it a few months after

Dallas/Ft.Worth will hit 7 Million this year, with the oil slowdown I doubt Houston can do much catch up on the DFW 450-500K population lead they always hold on us any time soon or ever for that matter, but hey it is two cities.

Wow way to bait this thread hard. How about we don't go into a Houston vs. Dallas debate, ok? *sighs*

• Like 2

Dallas even with fort Worth was smaller than us up until the late 80s. Back then they were a cmsa. Kind of like a combined statistical area. the Houston pmsa was bigger than the fort Worth pmsa plus the Dallas pmsa. Houston retook the lead again in the 90s then lost it a couple years after. In 2003 the census redefined metro areas and combined the two areas into one msa. By then the combined area was already larger than the houston area.

Anyway, I don't think Houston will be bigger than north Texas any time soon, but I don't care if we are bigger. I like the direction houston is heading and it's good enough for me.

Fort Worth is growing faster then Dallas.  The Census will spilt them eventually Dallas-Plano MSA and Forth Worth-Arlington MSA.  I have friends that come to Houston to visit and cannot believe how huge it is.  Harris County is now at 4.4 million.

That actually has happened. If you look at the census numbers, Dallas is one PMSA and Fort Worth is another.

The same theory suggests Brazoria and Galveston will become separate PMSAs within the Houston MSA.

This thread is too good to be spending too much time on things like this, but I would just like to say that msas are defined by commuting patterns. The current threshold is 25% in either and or both directions. Dallas and tarrant counties are getting more and more intertwined in terms of commuting so I don't see them being split. Same thing with Harris County and Brazoria and Galveston counties. Brazoria is seem less ly connected to Harris now and has a high percentage of commuters who live on Brazoria county but travel to work at TMC.

What I do see is Houston picking up a few counties such as Matagorda(40K), washington (30k), the CSB metro(200k), getting back the San Jacinto county (30k) walker (70k) Wharton (40k). Matagorda, washington, Wharton and walker are in Houston's combined area but not in the metro area. SAN Jac was in our metro but got dropped off, I think it has a good chance to be readded. These counties add just over 400 to the area and would bring Houston to 6.9M. If Houston continues to push north and west I really do see it combining with the CSB metro

• 2 weeks later...