Development List For Buildings In Houston

Urbannizer

It was actually more updated than I thought.

During my lunch break I updated all of downtown and other projects I could remember off the top of my head - they're mainly the peach colored markers since I can't remember the color codes.

I'll try to update it more with article and HAIF links later.

• Like 2

Urbanizer - When you have some time (maybe this weekend), it would be awesome to see this list updated.

* Downtown Project list is dated to January 15th. A couple things added since.

I have a hard time remembering what all has changed, but we have more specifics on Houston Center 6 / pictures. Residential projects around the ball park / discovery green. Midtown office tower? Amegy Bank tower?

Urbannizer - Updated thoughts below

* Downtown Project list is dated to January 15th. A couple things added since.

* New Houston Center 6 Rendering and Start date

* Hines Southmoore 'Under Construction'

* Hines Amegy Bank @ Micro Center

* Westcreek Office tower

I have a hard time remembering everything. Residential projects around the ball park / discovery green. Midtown office tower? Regency Square status?

• Like 1

Does anyone remember when CentralHouston used to issue the perspective maps showing the existing buildings on angle, with the proposals rendered onto it?  Usually the perspective was from the southeast looking northwest.  I still have some from 1999 and 2000 (I loved those).  Just curious.  I kind of wished they would put out a map like that again so we can all see the scale of these buildings more clearly - though it would be crowded!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just posting this here as a go by for a few years from now when this image is drastically different.

13280195215_9d60131b3f_b.jpg

SkyCam 3-19-14 by brijonmang, on Flickr

Yes! Every 6 months or so we should add an updated picture from this cam to the front page to create a timeline on the development for this exciting part of downtown. Maybe that's wishful thinking, but that would be awesome if you could Urbannizer!

• Like 2

Excuse my crude drawing, but based on the above photo I placed outlines of where all the buildings planned for the next 3 years (from the March Downtown Houston Development Map) will go. It's amazing how much will be filled in!

ELprkJG.jpg

Holy mother of pearls

Total lots: 24 (blocks with more than 90% surface parking)

Total scheduled to be annihilated: 12

Remaining: 12

Parking lots -50%

Awesome!!

Edited by Sellanious Caesar
  • Like 1

Downtown Houston has 99 parking lots (any block plot that is 10% or more surface parking) and 118 total vacant plots (99 are parking lots, 19 are some grass plots).

This does not include what's under construction now or the proposed. Excluding 609 Main, Skanska Capital, and Hilcorp since they're replacing existing/recently demolished structures. All the new development will kill 28 surface lots. Let's round 99 up to 100, we're talking about a 28% decline in surface parking in just 3-4 years. Those 19 grass plots are all north of the bayou and south of I-10. We'll have to wait forever for those.

Thoughts anyone?

Edited by Sellanious Caesar
  • Like 2

Only 1 of the top 6 towers u/c is office.. The rest are residential. Quite an interesting turn of the market in Houston it would seem. Of course many of the taller office towers are not too far off, but then again so are other new tall residentials. Has there ever been a time when Houston has had this much residential high rise activity?

Are any of these condos for sale or are they all apartments?

Downtown Houston has 99 parking lots (any block plot that is 10% or more surface parking) and 118 total vacant plots (99 are parking lots, 19 are some grass plots).

This does not include what's under construction now or the proposed. Excluding 609 Main, Skanska Capital, and Hilcorp since they're replacing existing/recently demolished structures. All the new development will kill 28 surface lots. Let's round 99 up to 100, we're talking about a 28% decline in surface parking in just 3-4 years. Those 19 grass plots are all north of the bayou and south of I-10. We'll have to wait forever for those.

Thoughts anyone?

I think that is pretty good. I can't imagine we can do much better than that rate. Lets say you're right in all the stated facts, so rounding again, in 4 years we will have 70 lots. take out the 20 above the bayou* and we have 50. Assuming the rate of develipment continues, by 2022 we would have 20 lots open south of the bayou in the downtown loop! 20 lots left will be a very small number and promote a land grab / cooler projects / taller projects. I think this is great progress.

*I think that area has a TON of potential to be developed into something really cool - but I am content waiting until a higher downtown density forces Houston to be creative and thoughful with the plans - something like the NYC riverside park

J1kOFKzl.png

does anyone else find it interesting that they list US-59 with i45 under the same reconstruction project around downtown?

could this be an indicator that they have already made up their mind for the alternative they are going to choose? surely they wouldnt do construction on both highways at the same time unless they were both part of the same project, like the (what im hoping they choose) alternative of rerouting i45 along US-59 and i10, so they can tear out Pierce Elevated, or the one way loop option? i dont think they would list them both/do construction on both routes around downtown at the same time if they were only planning on widening the Pierce, and/or us59.

i really hope they reroute 45 along 59/10.. the blvd they are proposing to replace the Pierce Elevated and Pierce St is wider than i would prefer though (i feel they really only need to add 1 more lane onto the already 5 lane wide Pierce St, so they have 3 lanes each way/make it bidirectional), but its better than the hulking barrier that exists on the south and west sides of downtown currently.

the ideal situation would be to do what i said and add one more lane to Pierce St, so it functions and has similar capacity as Allen and Memorial, and leave the majority of the space that existed under the Pierce Elevated/45 ROW for development of new highrises, parks, ect..

• 2 weeks later...