I too get the retro vibe from this design.  It mainly reminds me of so many 3-winged hotels (often Hyatts) from the 60-70s with circular revolving restaurants on top.  Even the 1957 Dallas Statler Hilton has that general shape (minus the revolving restaurant).

However, the big, undisguised parking podium does make it seem more uniquely Houston.  

That said, I don't hate it.  At least the details of the facade are more interesting than those of The Spires next door. 

• Like 2

I like it. It's going to have great views and a great location right next to Hermann Park. Dinerstein usually does rental apartments and I'd have to think there's a huge market being right next to the Med Center. 

The people in the Western units of The Spires on floors 4-20 will lose their views but that was going to eventually happened. This is the lot that had a medical/office planned for it by some company out of Cambridge, Mass. 

• Like 1

There's no law that says that parking podiums (podia?) must take up every square inch of whatever floor they're on.  Downtown and the medical center are replete with buildings that have lobbies, common ameneties, GFR, etc. on the first floor (or maybe two), podium above that, and people space above that.  Likewise, I'm perfectly comfortable with the idea of form following function, but really, do we have to advertise that it's a parking ramp?

• Like 1

I too get the retro vibe from this design.  It mainly reminds me of so many 3-winged hotels (often Hyatts) from the 60-70s with circular revolving restaurants on top.  Even the 1957 Dallas Statler Hilton has that general shape (minus the revolving restaurant).

However, the big, undisguised parking podium does make it seem more uniquely Houston.  

That said, I don't hate it.  At least the details of the facade are more interesting than those of The Spires next door. 

That's funny, but the first thing I thought when I saw this was "60s hotel," like that one on 59 at Buffalo Speedway.  That said, the mirrored glass is kind of a 1980s touch.  

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting design. One third of the units will face the adjacent high rise condo, one third will face the gravel parking lot at Veteran's Hospital, and one third will face the medical center. I wonder how they will manage the proposed elevated traffic lanes TXDOT has planned for Holcombe Blvd designed.

• 3 weeks later...

784x2048.jpg

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/columnists/sarnoff/article/Developer-doubles-down-in-med-center-5734747.php

Betting on the continued strong health of the Texas Medical Center, the Dinerstein Cos. is planning a high-rise apartment building at the corner of Cambridge and Holcombe, its second recent residential project in the area.

The tower, designed by Chicago-based Solomon Cordwell Buenz, will rise 21 stories and contain 375 units targeted to "renters by choice," said Brian Dinerstein, president of the Houston-based developer that builds multifamily projects in markets across the country.

"We love its proximity to the 100,000 jobs," Dinerstein said of the 2-acre site. "We love the unobstructed views of the zoo and the park and the access to the freeway. It checks every box of what we look for in a site."

The building's angled design was created to take advantage of views of downtown and Hermann Park, he said.

Demand for housing in the Medical Center/Bellaire submarket has pushed up occupancy 5.6 percent and rents 12.5 percent over a three-month period, according to an August report from Apartment Data Services.

Developers are building thousands of units inside the 610 Loop, acting on growing desire by Houstonians to rent -- often for a significant premium -- in properties close to where they work instead of buying homes in the suburbs.

Rents in Dinerstein's new building will start at $1,600 per month for a one-bedroom and go up to around $3,500. The average unit size will be just under 950 square feet. The building will have mostly one- and two-bedroom units.

One of the company's financial partners on the project is AmREIT, a Houston-based real estate investment trust that owned the land.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Apparently, people will jaywalk across Holcombe without looking at oncoming traffic to go to this building. It may be responsible for thousands of fatalities before all is said and done.  I couldn't help but notice the light on for Cambridge is red while people cross the street anyways.

funny... WINNER!

• Like 2