Looks nice, but still boring on the street. Overall, it will be a nice building, but ensures the area wont be as walkable..

As walkable as it currently is?

Nobody walks here except the hobo that currently sleeps on the site.

The only place to walk from here is the golf course side of Hermann park. I guess the mile walk to M and M Grill would be worth it though.

• Like 2

Wow for once the the newer renderings are actually way better than before! This is miles better than what was there previously lol. I'm still not completely sold on this one (mostly because of the parking mount, but everyone knows my opinions on those at this point). This design is certainly an upgrade from before. Very satisfying.

@houstontexasjack -  That comment about the rendering jaywalkers was freakin hilarious xD !!! I'm guessing that was either intentional or someone was completely oblivious to it lol.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

From that article, they say how the med center is a hedge against oil since it's insulated from it. I wonder why other developers haven't noticed this and built more near the TMC? They'd be able to rent to oil and gas types, as well as med center workers... thus a pretty high chance of always pulling in more expensive rents.

From that article, they say how the med center is a hedge against oil since it's insulated from it. I wonder why other developers haven't noticed this and built more near the TMC? They'd be able to rent to oil and gas types, as well as med center workers... thus a pretty high chance of always pulling in more expensive rents.

Perhaps because the City changed the economic equation with the downtown incentive program.  Instead of the market deciding where new high rent housing should go, the city put its foot on the scale so that a hefty chunk of it went downtown.  (That said, I'm excited about the new residential in downtown, but I would have also been excited about more residential in midtown, museum district, Herman Park, and TMC as well.)  

• 2 weeks later...

Millennium tower sounds like a proposal that would have been named in the late 90s.

We are still early in the new millennium (just 1.5% in), but the team was so abused 10 to 20 years ago that I just think it has been overplayed. But hey its just a name and these things change all the time.

As for the rendering, I liked the 1st ones and these are even better

• 1 month later...

Doesn't exactly say the company is planning more high-rises for Houston, but it's interesting nevertheless. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2015/03/houston-apartment-developer-eyes-more-high-rises.html

The Dinerstein Cos. has sky-high ambitions after decades of building midrise apartments and student housing projects across the country.

Most of Dinerstein's apartment and student housing projects so far have been four- and five-story, wood-frame construction. These include Millennium Six Pines, whichrecently held its grand opening in The Woodlands, and The Millennium Kirby, which is under construction southwest of Hermann Park.

However, Dinerstein aims higher in the future.

In January, the Houston-based developerbroke ground on its first luxury apartment tower near the Texas Medical Center. The 22-story, 375-unit high-rise — dubbed The Millennium Tower — is the tallest project The Dinerstein Cos. has worked on in its more than 50-year history.

As The Dinerstein Cos. looks to the sky for its new projects, it is learning how to use concrete and steel in its buildings. Recently, the company has been ramping up its construction projects, such as The Millennium Rainey, an eight-story concrete-structure apartment project in Austin.

Although The Dinerstein Cos. is a fully integrated construction company, it hired Gilbane Inc. to be the lead general contractor on The Millennium Tower. The Providence, Rhode Island-based construction firm has experience building high-rise condominiums, apartments and office towers across the country. Chicago-based Solomon Cordwell Buenz is the architect.

"We wanted to see how they do it," said Brad Dinerstein, executive vice president at The Dinerstein Cos. "We're considering doing more of this in the future."

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...