How big will it get?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jackwood

Ok, so now I am being silly

Yes, you are.

Here is a short list of some of my favorite new projects being proposed in the Houston area. Thanks to Urbanizer for making it so easy to gather these renderings up. 

609B_zps7b42b43c.jpg

9510868649_d1474efaaa_b.jpg

9403526228_b92f65c0c1_b.jpg

9645794684_82efd73920_b.jpg

R1k7Rr2.jpg

AnadarkoWoodloch%20(7).jpg

270384_461574697236532_1210716693_n.jpg

AstoriaLarge_zps268e5287.jpg

14084_10151821567607741_1928451683_n.jpg

39874_719375706RS-Condo_view1.jpg

post-723-0-90815400-1374984372.jpg

2229-san-felipe.jpg

hanover_zps16f76df5.jpg

skyhouse%20houston%20rendering%20-%20201

CP.jpg

9200943493_17a1db5e87_b.jpg

5ACcover_FW-506x675.jpg

8894309288_bb26bca394_c.jpg

One of the things that I've always appreciated about Houston is the feeling that this is a city that is all about results. We aren't trying to impress anyone, we're just doing what we think is best. That extends to architecture as well. I don't want Houston to be a copy of New York, LA, Chicago, or some other city. Be Houston.

Well I thought you were excited about all of those projects but after that, I just don't know what to think...you seem to have a very existential way of analyzing things.

The lamentable unintentional question mark belies my avarice for "urban ontogenesis", if you will.

“I took a test in Existentialism. I left all the answers blank and got 100.”

Woody Allen

Forgive me. Just recently returned to Houston. I think my late night comment was probably motivated by past hopes dashed by mediocre, IMO, developments in the last few years here in town. You certainly do make the case that I am a bit off the mark with the compilation of new projects for Houston. Thanks for that. And yes, I am a huge fan of Gehry and Calatrava, as well as Meir, so I would love to see an iconic tower here soon. I KNOW we have a few icons in our great city, I am just being greedy. And yes, I do want HTown to Not be a clone of metropolises. Please, don't misunderstand me, IF these projects come to pass, I will say my Mia culpas, but which development is "cutting edge"? and not already done at least once in another city; rather than a headliner stating " Here is a first in architecture in Houston". you must admit, with the exception of LA maybe, DT could use something other than flat roofs. ;)

I guess I am just getting nostalgic the older I become. I just wish a cutting edge architect like Johnson would look our way and say, "hey, you know what? Let me make Houston my canvas for two or three really neat ideas I have.". That's sort of my dream. :)

• 4 weeks later...

One of the things that I've always appreciated about Houston is the feeling that this is a city that is all about results. We aren't trying to impress anyone, we're just doing what we think is best. That extends to architecture as well. I don't want Houston to be a copy of New York, LA, Chicago, or some other city. Be Houston.

I guess you like strip malls, and lots of them.

I guess you like strip malls, and lots of them.

Old, rundown, and cheap strip malls along with a general lack of red tape is why we have such a thriving and diverse small business scene here.  That's one reason why we have such a diverse and great mix of restaurants and shops that feature stuff from all over the world.

Old, rundown, and cheap strip malls along with a general lack of red tape is why we have such a thriving and diverse small business scene here.  That's one reason why we have such a diverse and great mix of restaurants and shops that feature stuff from all over the world.

Agreed.  Some of the best restaurants in the city are in rundown, cheap strip malls.

That's one reason I've always enjoyed Houston wherever I go. It's that's there's SO MUCH to see, even in the more run neighborhoods. Even when there's garden apartment complexes no more than two stories high and fast food restaurants, it just feels more denser and urban compared to a similar scene in College Station. 

Agreed.  Some of the best restaurants in the city are in rundown, cheap strip malls.

I will agree on that.

Agreed, but they are an eyesore.

Agreed, but they are an eyesore.

But, there's an economic cycle at work here too.  Cheap buildings provide cheap rent, which allows people to go into business that never would be able to do so otherwise.  Look at how many of the top chefs in Houston credit little restaurants in cheap strip malls in Long Point or Bellaire for inspiration.

Houston's getting all kind of national acclaim for it's restaurant scene and it's not a stretch to say that a lot of it is due to all that low rent in those eyesores.

Ok, so I will take whatever you all dish my way. But as we ALL look at developments across the globe, why is it that Houston, although exciting in it's production, is lacking in it's form? What I mean is that, yes, we are bustling, and I applaud that, but the high rises are a bit redundant and boring. Why? Slopes? Angles? Cylinders? Multiple towers connected by some sort of futuristic looking tubes. Ok, so now I am being silly, but really, come on, why not more variety? I had to move back from LA...sigh, BORING, architecturally, now I am back to my roots, and dammit, where is the WOW in Houston Architecture like back in the day? Ok. You're thoughts?

Cheap dirt. When the cost goes up it becomes more efficient in terms of appeal/programming/sustainability/etc to hire an architect even if they get 7%. When the cost is lower it's cheaper and easier to value engineer the project. I worked on quite a few tilt up strip malls and fast food restaurants and we usually only got hired b/c of corporate franchise requirements for modifications to the prototypes. I spent more time doing HVAC and civil site engineering work then actual design work.

Just move to a master planned community and you don't have to worry about that.

There do seem to be a lot of people around here that hate master planned communities, but essentially want their communities to be master planned.  The main difference seems to be that they want identical apartment complexes with ground floor retail instead of single family homes with town centers.

There do seem to be a lot of people around here that hate master planned communities, but essentially want their communities to be master planned.  The main difference seems to be that they want identical apartment complexes with ground floor retail instead of single family homes with town centers.

There are a lot of people that hate zoning and claim to hate restrictions but then are silent when it comes to the subject of absurd parking requirements for various types of businesses.

There are a lot of people that hate zoning and claim to hate restrictions but then are silent when it comes to the subject of absurd parking requirements for various types of businesses.

Hasn't the city revised parking requirements over the last year or two to make it easier for businesses located in tight spots?  So we have no zoning and better parking requlations than before.  What's to hate about that?

But, there's an economic cycle at work here too.  Cheap buildings provide cheap rent, which allows people to go into business that never would be able to do so otherwise.  Look at how many of the top chefs in Houston credit little restaurants in cheap strip malls in Long Point or Bellaire for inspiration.

Houston's getting all kind of national acclaim for it's restaurant scene and it's not a stretch to say that a lot of it is due to all that low rent in those eyesores.

One yuppie's eyesore is another hipster's authenticity.

....but we aren't getting the Shanghai tower

how funny you said that. Because I thought that tower in a 60 to 80 storey version would work well in the block between One Shell Plaza and Wells Fargo Tower. And in fact have drawn either it or NYs BOA tower in the HTown version of my skylines. Anyway, he's, I agree, that sort of morphic tower is what is needed in Houston's skylines....yes....skylines...I will take it in one of our many ...LOL.

Cheap dirt. When the cost goes up it becomes more efficient in terms of appeal/programming/sustainability/etc to hire an architect even if they get 7%. When the cost is lower it's cheaper and easier to value engineer the project. I worked on quite a few tilt up strip malls and fast food restaurants and we usually only got hired b/c of corporate franchise requirements for modifications to the prototypes. I spent more time doing HVAC and civil site engineering work then actual design work.

oh, sorry about that. How do you stay in the game then?

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think Houston lacks quality projects, far from it.  I think we lack the attention from the media telling us that "____ is a great building" like we see for a lot of different projects around the country.  Houston gets little love from the national media, and our perception among most everyone who hasn't been here is quite negative.

• 1 month later...

Pardon my ignorance, but is another boom, perhaps mini-boom coming pretty soon? With all these expanding energy companies will that lead to another boom once all these new offices start to fill up with employees? Or will Houston just keep on keeping on? Assuming O&G prices stay near current levels.

i think we are experiencing a boom right now.  i think a better question is, "has it peaked?" or "when will it peak?".  these things do not usually last too many months or years.  that said, what forces are driving the boom now and are, or how long, are they sustainable?

Archived