Best Neighborhood In Town According To CNN/Money

innerloop

I don't see using a car as a negative. I'm not sure where this whole fascination about walking everywhere came from. It's rather stupid if you think about it.

Spice Traders on camels back in the days of the Orient did not complain that their desert journeys went by far too quickly.

Cowboys on horseback did not bemoan the lack of walkability on their route to KC.

The '49'ers did not complain about how road west lacked significantly wide sidewalks.

Riders on San Francisco's innaugral trolley ride did not weep at not being forced to walk up hill.

The recent phenomenon somehow believes that we would be better off taking a giant step backwards, or ceding our autonomy to the schedule of mass transit. Screw that. If you want to limit our circle of autonomy/liberty be my guest, just be sure to obey the cross-walk signals.

Some of us like being close enough to amenities that we can walk to them. It's cheaper to walk than to drive, parking is never an issue, and it cuts down on potential DUIs. 

I am also just more comfortable in a dense, mixed environment. I've lived in neighborhoods of varying density, and I always end up feeling disconnected and walled off in the more suburban ones. And there just isn't room in a high density neighborhood for everyone to have a car.

I don't see using a car as a negative. I'm not sure where this whole fascination about walking everywhere came from. It's rather stupid if you think about it.

Spice Traders on camels back in the days of the Orient did not complain that their desert journeys went by far too quickly.

Cowboys on horseback did not bemoan the lack of walkability on their route to KC.

The '49'ers did not complain about how road west lacked significantly wide sidewalks.

Riders on San Francisco's innaugral trolley ride did not weep at not being forced to walk up hill.

The recent phenomenon somehow believes that we would be better off taking a giant step backwards, or ceding our autonomy to the schedule of mass transit. Screw that. If you want to limit our circle of autonomy/liberty be my guest, just be sure to obey the cross-walk signals.

I agree, but its all just part of changing the narrative.  The long term goal of the elites who govern is to reduce our standard of living. 

Some of us like being close enough to amenities that we can walk to them. It's cheaper to walk than to drive, parking is never an issue, and it cuts down on potential DUIs.

I am also just more comfortable in a dense, mixed environment. I've lived in neighborhoods of varying density, and I always end up feeling disconnected and walled off in the more suburban ones. And there just isn't room in a high density neighborhood for everyone to have a car.

So how many goods and sundries are you able to tote around while walking?

True, I do have to put things in a bag. For a full grocery store haul I do need to take my bike and a couple of panniers.

Ultimately this is an issue of choice. If you prefer to rely on a car, that's completely your prerogative, but there are almost infinite neighborhoods around the country that cater to your preference. Federal, state, and municipal policy have all catered to your preference for decades as well. 

This is true as a lifestyle choice, but not as a lifestyle necessity. The walkability gurus by and large only like walking for fun. They still have the BMW in the garage. And the Heights is not walkable in the density sense. Not only are the homes filled with singles and couples, whereas they originally held 6 to 8, but the Heights residents fight tooth and nail to limit ANY increase in density, and therefore walkability. The Heights may be one of the great US neighborhoods, but it is not great because of "walkability", as the article stated.

I enjoy the neighborhood by bicycle. By foot, not so much.

I agree that the Heights is more bikable than walkable. It is, in fact quite bikable, thought its grocery store situation is lacking.

I honestly dont agree with the article anyway though. The Heights is fine. There are worse places. But top 10 neighborhoods in the country? No way.

I agree that the Heights is more bikable than walkable. It is, in fact quite bikable, thought its grocery store situation is lacking.

I honestly dont agree with the article anyway though. The Heights is fine. There are worse places. But top 10 neighborhoods in the country? No way.

You're missing the point of the article.  The premise was to pick the best neighborhood in each of the top 10 cities by population in the country, not to pick the best neighborhoods in the country.  We can assume the list would have been very different if that were the case; regardless, I'm proud to have been recognized.

This is true as a lifestyle choice, but not as a lifestyle necessity. The walkability gurus by and large only like walking for fun. They still have the BMW in the garage. And the Heights is not walkable in the density sense. Not only are the homes filled with singles and couples, whereas they originally held 6 to 8, but the Heights residents fight tooth and nail to limit ANY increase in density, and therefore walkability. The Heights may be one of the great US neighborhoods, but it is not great because of "walkability", as the article stated.

I enjoy the neighborhood by bicycle. By foot, not so much.

The Heights is primarily a single family neighborhood. We do not have to tear down every house and replace it with a pencil box apartment complex to be able to lay claim to "walkability". And density does not equal walkability. There are parts of Queens, NY that are built up with lots of huge low to midrise apartment complex developments. But there is no decent retail within walking distance. So, everyone drives everywhere or takes the bus. Couldn't have much more density and couldn't be less walkable.

And walkability as a lifestyle benefit is just as important as walkability as a necessity of density. People I know who left the Heights for the burbs hate that they have no choice but to pile into the car every time they want to go to a restaurant. Also, walkability is beginning to become more of a necessity in the Heights. If you want to go anywhere on White Oak on Friday or Saturday night, you are better off walking than trying to find parking in the area.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Galveston-named-among-best-beaches-in-the-nation-4729672.php

Darn. CNN also named Galveston one of the top beaches. So much for CNN polls.

It is all fluff stuff to get traffic onto their website. But, for a beach that is within an hour's drive from a major metropolis, Galveston is a pretty good deal. I went to the beach in NJ this summer. While there are miles of beach, they restrict the areas that are swimmable due to the surf. You end up having everyone piled between two green flags, knocking into each other with every wave that comes in. The water is freaking cold and just as brown Galveston. And you do not dare touch the water in May or September without a wetsuit.

I used to be pretty down on Galveston having spent a lot of time on beaches on great beaches Fl, NC/SC and Cape Cod. But the island is once again having a nice rebound from the last hurricane with some new restaurants and the new Landry's money sucking machine where the poor old Flagship Hotel once stood. In a much more nuanced way, I could see Galveston being a top beach in the US.

You're missing the point of the article.  The premise was to pick the best neighborhood in each of the top 10 cities by population in the country, not to pick the best neighborhoods in the country.  We can assume the list would have been very different if that were the case; regardless, I'm proud to have been recognized.

Eh, except I disagree that the Heights is even the best neighborhood in Houston. I do realize my priorities may differ from yours though. 

I think the real issue is the author's complete unfamiliarity with Houston.

walkability is beginning to become more of a necessity in the Heights. If you want to go anywhere on White Oak on Friday or Saturday night, you are better off walking than trying to find parking in the area.

Other than going 5 houses down I don't ever believe I've come to the conclusion that walking was a better choice.

Along with evolving with the automobile we've also invented something called valet parking. If you prefer walking to driving because the though of trying to find a parking space cause untold anxiety then I would recommend trying out valet service some time. It's quiet a rush.

but here's the thing TGM:

You may not prefer walking, but that doesn't mean no one in this city prefers walking. 

Your tone is truly odd. It's as though you literally cannot understand why someone would choose to walk if they have the option to drive.

The idiotic part is the article talking about how walkable the Heights is while saying everyone uses a car.

Seems like a lot of people like this, as the skyrocketing rents and influx of people in midtown show.

but here's the thing TGM:

You may not prefer walking, but that doesn't mean no one in this city prefers walking.

Your tone is truly odd. It's as though you literally cannot understand why someone would choose to walk if they have the option to drive.

Now that I think of it there was that one time when I chose to walk over using mechanized transportation.

In 2001 I worked downtown at 1000 Main and lived in Midtown. For some reason I was without a car that day and my wife had a conflict so she was unable to pick me up. Sooo.. Gosh this is hard to admit...I went online and looked at the Metro schedule. I found the correct bus and headed over to the bus stop. After spending about 5 minutes soaking up the pleasantries and diversities of waiting for a bus I said F$&@-it and started to walk. Long-story short I beat the bus home and watched it go by its stop on La Branch from my porch with ice-cold beer in hand.

So yes, given that the bus took 45 minutes to finally make its way to my stop, I chose to walk instead.

Maybe there slogan should be:

Metro, it will get you there......eventually or Metro: Walking is great for the heart.

dear sweet jesus dont get me started on valet parking. it will be a cold day in hell that I valet park my car in Houston

Lol, yeah most of the time it sucks. The problem is there is a correlation of how bad valet service is based on the douchebaggery of the street you're on or the area you're in. But if parking is an efficient market then its just a cost of doing business.

Now that I think of it there was that one time when I chose to walk over using mechanized transportation.

In 2001 I worked downtown at 1000 Main and lived in Midtown. For some reason I was without a car that day and my wife had a conflict so she was unable to pick me up. Sooo.. Gosh this is hard to admit...I went online and looked at the Metro schedule. I found the correct bus and headed over to the bus stop. After spending about 5 minutes soaking up the pleasantries and diversities of waiting for a bus I said F$&@-it and started to walk. Long-story short I beat the bus home and watched it go by its stop on La Branch from my porch with ice-cold beer in hand.

So yes, given that the bus took 45 minutes to finally make its way to my stop, I chose to walk instead.

Maybe there slogan should be:

Metro, it will get you there......eventually or Metro: Walking is great for the heart.

Shoulda taken the 5, not the 60.

Interesting thread - I too am just glad we got recognized - just as long as it's not reflected in my tax bill.  Just kidding about that last part!

As for walkability - what it means to me is that there are 'destinations' that you can walk to from your house, as well as places you NEED to go on a weekly basis.  I can walk to Doug's to get a hair-cut.  I can put the kids in the stroller and walk to Antidote for breakfast and then take them to Donovan park.  If you live in Cinco Ranch, you literally CAN'T do that.  You can maybe walk to a park but not the combination - unless you live on the edge of a subdivision or something...  From my house, I can even walk to an auto parts store, one of dozens of restaurants, 2 to 3 close/good/safe parks, a grocery store, etc.

One of the reasons to choose to walk is not always that it is faster - but w/ two kids it can be a heck of a lot easier to get them in the stroller and going on a walk, than into their car seats.  It just feels easier, and more fun.

Cheers
James

Archived