Urbannizer

Elan Memorial Park Phase I & II by Greystar

Discovered this while looking for more information on another project by Greystar.

In 2014, Greystar will also begin Elan Memorial Park, which will be located in the Washington corridor submarket of Houston. It will be divided into two phases of 292 and 258 units.

http://apmanagement.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/The-Apartment-Report_APC_7.8.13_PRESS-BREAK.pdf

• Like 3

"Charleston, S.C.-based Greystar recently purchased the 1980s-era Memorial Club Apartments at 904 Westcott. The company plans to redevelop the property into an upscale complex that may include a retail component."

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/columnists/sarnoff/article/Apartment-frenzy-near-Memorial-Park-intensifies-5023325.php?cmpid=btfpm

Awesome! Love that they went w a modern/unique design. This will go well with the Morgan groups new ROB apartment a few blocks down on tc jester which also has a very fun design.

I wonder if the trader joes rumor that surrounded this project are accurate. I think the rooftops are there to support it IMO.

That girl in the crosswalk's going to be shedding the pounds soon because she's WALKING to where she shops.  And that's exactly what we've been talking about.  Wow! indeed.

• Like 2

Wow! This is really unattractive.

Agree. Different isn't always better. I do like all the retail though.

WOW!  much better...

Another view of the apartments.

rendering.jpg

Edited by monarch

You know it will be interesting to see how this translates into into a real building; those rendering show zero texture.

Now, I'm assuming it will end up being mostly EIFS, but one can dream...

the Memorial Club Apts. on the east side of Westcott are cleared out with fencing around the property.

Demolition will begin soon.

Swamplot's also saying there's a second phase - 258 units. The latest render appears to show the second building, which is almost as tall as the first.elan-memorial-park-rendering.jpg

• Like 2

Did anyone else used to play at the construction sites when the workers were not around on dirt bikes or even walk through partially constructed houses? We did in North Houston when I was a kid.

Did anyone else used to play at the construction sites when the workers were not around on dirt bikes or even walk through partially constructed houses? We did in North Houston when I was a kid.

I used to walk through houses/condos under construction all the time - especially when I am looking to buy -- I love doing that to get ideas.....it's not as easy anymore with all the surveillance cameras and fences they put up now due to the criminals robbing, burning, stealing, etc from building sites...

Edited by HoustonMidtown

The building permit for Elan Memorial Park East showed up in the permits section of the HBJ. I do not know if it's Phase I or Phase II. It's at 920 Westcott Street, if that's any hint.

Edited by toxtethogrady

The first image is all retail... just look at the renderings. The first one is facing Washington Ave directly. It also includes retail parking as well.

• Like 1

The portion fronting Washington Ave. appears to have plenty of room for retail and with a 6 story parking lot to handle the customers cars.

EZBacuo.jpg

ywiW1Sd.jpg

A5n3uMS.jpg

XIfeiHo.jpg

N3Sc6Fk.jpg

• Like 8

^^^ oh my, reminds me of a great ship coming into port.  beautiful!

They could put it on top of George R Brown Convention Center then.

• Like 2

as a cyclist, I appreciate that they are depicting life as realistically as possible and 1 of the 3 cyclists in frame is breaking the law by going the opposite direction in the roundabout!

• Like 5

The city should put something spectacular in the center of that roundabout.

i'd think maintaining visibility for motorists and cyclists is of greater concern.

i'd think maintaining visibility for motorists and cyclists is of greater concern.

Yeah I'm sure that tree helps...

Putting in some beautiful flowers or a small fountain shouldn't hurt. Are the flower beds and stainless steel arches/street signs a big distraction in Uptown?

Edit: it doesn't have to be a tall obelisk to be spectacular. A gorgeous flower arrangement could be executed quite nicely. It's a unique area of town.

Edited by Montrose1100

Yeah I'm sure that tree helps...

Putting in some beautiful flowers or a small fountain shouldn't hurt. Are the flower beds and stainless steel arches/street signs a big distraction in Uptown?

Edit: it doesn't have to be a tall obelisk to be spectacular. A gorgeous flower arrangement could be executed quite nicely. It's a unique area of town.

I would like to have some sort of art installation or contemporary art statue like that one orange curvy statue that is in downtown San Antonio. An important part of helping to give areas more identity is creating landmark type objects. That Live Oak while very nice and certainly very old doesn't really separate the area or that tree from other oaks that are around. Montrose you are right too in your response that the tree doesn't help with visibility at all and shouldn't be an excuse to keep it. Plus thats not how traffic circles work anyway. You visibility should be on the road right in front of you. There are signs that tell you which road is which both at the circle and ahead of time.

The circle though should be utilized to create something unique for the area that will both give something special to the community, but also aid drivers once at the circle. Like maybe further illustrate the direction of the circle or help clearly identify which street is which or help show what is further ahead without the need for the driver to look for themselves.

• Like 1

This looks like the bow of a ship.

eoCNHlk.jpg

SGDXCq1.jpg

Tljmo7y.jpg

W4djMvQ.jpg

lxOZ62y.jpg

This looks like mock up sample of what the color and windows are going to be like.

p7xRWyO.jpg

• Like 8