Two Hermann Place & Three Herman Place: High-Rises At 1661 Hermann Dr.

ClutchCity

Well I guess things have changed since then...

"There are no plans to break ground in the near future",

sarah@temadevelopment

That's pretty cryptic, but does suggest it won't be January.

Everyone needs to relax a bit. Things get delayed for all sorts of reasons. This doesn't mean the project is dead.

• Like 1

My first thought on this building was that, even though it is an interesting design, it would be a tougher building to get through the CD/Coordination phase.

Each floor would be slightly different than the one below, in other words the floors don't directly stack, which would make it less efficient whcih would naturally increase the time it takes to get through the CD phase.

This one was a little bit more ambitous. It might happen I just wanted to point out that that type of design could cause delays.

It takes a long time for a building to go from a nice rendering to a full set of construction drawings.

Look for them to streamline the design a little but.....that is just my prediction.

Edited by shasta
  • Like 3

When one steps back and take an analytic perspective on the holistic view, we can see this was coming. I'm sorry to say that this tower will never break ground. Neither will several others - looks at Chevron - because, we already know deep inside that their forecasts and analysts can see and predict what we all know - We are overbuilding in certain submarkets and the population of talent is following a certain trend that may be unique to Houston.

While that the last idea may or may not be true, I do believe it will be more than difficult for resident Houstonians to pull themselves from the idea that this cityis more than halfway through its peak and that the entire energy sectror is retreating. That is downsizing. Why? Because we all know - at least us Houstonians - that hydrocarbons are becoming ever cheaper and cheaper the better and better we get at hydraulic fracturing.

So. As a recently arrived Houstonian (from the other side of THIS planet)... I plead to you... let us hope that this project will indeed get off the ground. Because if it does not, then the forecasters are right... and Houston is about to enter a very dismal stage. Something I do NOT want to happen as my family and I have just move here... being uprooted from the other hemisphere.

Thank you for you reading my thoughts fellow forumers.

When one steps back and take an analytic perspective on the holistic view, we can see this was coming. I'm sorry to say that this tower will never break ground. Neither will several others - looks at Chevron - because, we already know deep inside that their forecasts and analysts can see and predict what we all know - We are overbuilding in certain submarkets and the population of talent is following a certain trend that may be unique to Houston.

While that the last idea may or may not be true, I do believe it will be more than difficult for resident Houstonians to pull themselves from the idea that this cityis more than halfway through its peak and that the entire energy sectror is retreating. That is downsizing. Why? Because we all know - at least us Houstonians - that hydrocarbons are becoming ever cheaper and cheaper the better and better we get at hydraulic fracturing.

So. As a recently arrived Houstonian (from the other side of THIS planet)... I plead to you... let us hope that this project will indeed get off the ground. Because if it does not, then the forecasters are right... and Houston is about to enter a very dismal stage. Something I do NOT want to happen as my family and I have just move here... being uprooted from the other hemisphere.

Thank you for you reading my thoughts fellow forumers.

ummm.. say what? why would a residential tower never get off the ground in a city that cant keep up with its residential demands? now will it look the same as rendered? maybe not.. unfortunately it may end up losing its twist (pure speculation), like Shasta said, "look for them to streamline the design a bit". but TEMA has owned this plot of land for a very long time with the intentions of developing it into additional residential towers..

as for "neither will several others - looks at Chevron".. i had to stop taking you serious at this point (and probably should of stopped bothering to type this reply, heh). you do realize Chevron JUST bought another block next to their downtown campus with the intentions of using that block for a staging site for construction of the new tower in 2015, before using the site for future parking when the campus is expanded..? now tell me, why would Chevron buy an additional site when they already own one vacant site in downtown (1600 Louisiana), and another half vacant block next to 1500 (thats primed for a 4th Chevron tower in the future)? Chevron is committed to downtown Houston. i wouldnt be surprised to see a corporate HQ relocation in the next decade/after the current CEO retires.

i agree we are overbuilding in the office submarket (unfortunately i have come to the realization International Tower will probably never see the light of day :/ at least not this go round.. maybe in the next cycle of office construction a few years down the road), but the Chevron tower will be taken up entirely by Chevron. its not a speculative tower like other projects around town, fighting for tenants.

how is the energy sector retreating? maybe youre getting it twisted because the Houston economy is diversifying and isnt dominated by oil and gas like it once was? and you do realize these energy/oil&gas companies are some of the largest in the world, meaning they have some of the largest capital in the world? you dont think they will use that capital when the time comes (they already are..) to focus on alternate sources of energy? companies like Exxon, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, ect arent going to just fade away when the next major source of energy comes around.. they are going to adapt. yes fracking is making oil cheaper, but its also creating one of the biggest booms in the oil industry since the early 1900s.. that can only mean good things for the oil & gas companies around Houston.

what forcasters are predicting this doomsday prophecy for Houston?

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

ummm.. say what? why would a residential tower never get off the ground in a city that cant keep up with its residential demands? now will it look the same as rendered? maybe not.. unfortunately it may end up losing its twist (pure speculation), like Shasta said, "look for them to streamline the design a bit". but TEMA has owned this plot of land for a very long time with the intentions of developing it into additional residential towers..

as for "neither will several others - looks at Chevron".. i had to stop taking you serious at this point (and probably should of stopped bothering to type this reply, heh). you do realize Chevron JUST bought another block next to their downtown campus with the intentions of using that block for a staging site for construction of the new tower in 2015, before using the site for future parking when the campus is expanded..? now tell me, why would Chevron buy an additional site when they already own one vacant site in downtown (1600 Louisiana), and another half vacant block next to 1500 (thats primed for a 4th Chevron tower in the future)? Chevron is committed to downtown Houston. i wouldnt be surprised to see a corporate HQ relocation in the next decade/after the current CEO retires.

i agree we are overbuilding in the office submarket (unfortunately i have come to the realization International Tower will probably never see the light of day :/ at least not this go round.. maybe in the next cycle of office construction a few years down the road), but the Chevron tower will be taken up entirely by Chevron. its not a speculative tower like other projects around town, fighting for tenants.

how is the energy sector retreating? maybe youre getting it twisted because the Houston economy is diversifying and isnt dominated by oil and gas like it once was? and you do realize these energy/oil&gas companies are some of the largest in the world, meaning they have some of the largest capital in the world? you dont think they will use that capital when the time comes (they already are..) to focus on alternate sources of energy? companies like Exxon, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, ect arent going to just fade away when the next major source of energy comes around.. they are going to adapt. yes fracking is making oil cheaper, but its also creating one of the biggest booms in the oil industry since the early 1900s.. that can only mean good things for the oil & gas companies around Houston.

what forcasters are predicting this doomsday prophecy for Houston?

I've not seen one doomsday forecast for the houston economy. If anything it's the opposite. The "next" energy source is most likely gas. And it's becoming a global commodity. And that will be another economic boon for the houston economy. I would hate to be invested heavily in biofuels right now.

While that the last idea may or may not be true, I do believe it will be more than difficult for resident Houstonians to pull themselves from the idea that this cityis more than halfway through its peak and that the entire energy sectror is retreating.

Thank you for giving us the only two possible options in the universe.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

12965137235_366e463c62_b.jpg

This residential tower is part of a proposed development across from Hermann Park in Houston. The 42-story tower, when completed, would house 550 residents in 270-units. The tower “twists” 30 degrees over the 42 stories, maximizing the views of Hermann Park for those on lower stories and the Houston skyline for those on the upper floors. The parking structure would be five stories with an amenity deck on top, with pools and cabanas that afford a view of the city. Most units will have two balconies, one with a screen to block the bright sun and another with an open view.

http://www.corgan.com/projects/tower-hermann-park/

• Like 9

I was wondering about that too.  Is the other part the parking garage/amenities deck?  ;-)

haha, was thinking the same thing!

I thought it could be referring to the older building they built many years ago close by, but then I thought that doesn't really fit. Seems to describe something in the future.

• Like 1

It is exciting that we are seeing another rendering...

Last I heard, TEMA was saying that (back in November?) that there was nothing happening anytime soon... So this hopefully means that there is somewhat of a timetable. Urbannizer - What do you know?

It is exciting that we are seeing another rendering...

Last I heard, TEMA was saying that (back in November?) that there was nothing happening anytime soon... So this hopefully means that there is somewhat of a timetable. Urbannizer - What do you know?

The picture is probably old though. Looks virtually the same as the rendering on page three.

"PART of a proposed development?"

Interestingly, there was a drilling crew out this morning on the land between the new tower and The Parklane.

This suggests that the land between the towers could either be: (i) developed, (ii) sold, or (iii) financed soon.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Me thinks this one is undergoing a change in design, the project was removed from the architect's website.

Hopefully for a better one. We don't have any twisty buildings in Houston. Oh well, even if it wasn't twisty it pays homage to the other tower and will fit in nicely.

• Like 1