The Susanne: Multifamily At 3833 Dunlavy St.

sevfiv

This is a topic to discuss the development on the Montrose Fiesta property from the Montrose H-E-B topic ().

From Swamplot:

Over the weekend, variance signs were posted at the dead-ends of Sul Ross and Branard St. near the Menil Collection and in front of the bank of antique shops facing Dunlavy. The notices are the clearest indication yet that some big new development is being planned to replace the Fiesta Food Mart at the corner of Dunlavy and West Alabama in Lancaster Place. Last month, Swamplot posted a reader’s report that the property had been sold and that a 6-or-7-story “West Ave-style” mixed-use project was planned for the 3.68-acre site.

http://swamplot.com/the-montrose-fiesta-is-over-here-comes-lancaster-square/2011-12-05/

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The Sussane in Montrose will be replacing the old Fiesta on the corner of Dunlavy and W. Alabama. I can't remember if there was a thread for this but I couldn't find any so if there is please merge. 

Swamplot: http://swamplot.com/heres-the-8-story-apartment-complex-thats-replacing-the-montrose-fiesta/2013-08-08/#more-67759

DeLLhZT.jpg

lzKtOhN.jpg

Edit: It appears urbanizer opened a thread so please merge. BTW this looks like Yorktown.

cRSRX4N.jpg

Not as bad as I feared.  Doesn't compliment the beautifully designed HEB, which I wish it would...I am just not horrified by a "Fankentuscan" monstrocity. Do you think that Marvy was listening?  The deep overhangs are nice.

Doesn't look like we should expect GFR.  Fine.

Jim,

The overhangs on the Menil are great, and the Ones on the Finger property look good. But, the building doesn't really do anything for (or to compliment) either Menil or HEB. Do you think otherwise?

For some world class modern architecture in the immediate neighborhood. I'd like to see developers, with the resources, work toward harmonizing and respecting. Specially with a structure significantly larger. Instead, Fingers, chooses to spend the money to re-create a past era rather than create something special to the area and the present era. Don't get me wrong. It's not a bad looking building and it has some merit...and it's better than what (I think) most of us all expected. It just won't creat a unified environment. It will simply stand alone.

We must have different ideas about what "complement" means in a language of architecture. First off compare the two bldgs different programmed uses; one's a commercial store designed to intake goods and display them to the public for purchase. The other (the Susanne) is for storing residents vehicles securely (which HEB doesn't do) and to provide each resident with a private unit and communal amenities (HEB does some communal amenities but in this case one is public and the other private).

Should they have just copied the Menil (world class architecture) or the HEB and tried to force an apartment complex into the form/footprint or should they have designed an apartment complex and added a few scaled features to reflect the neighborhood writ large? Sometimes architectural "respect" is in not being noticed as much as the world class architecture down the street or the nice commercial architecture next door. See also my comment in swamplot about residential curb appeal.

If your looking for something special in the area, look no further than the HEB parking lot (best parking lot in Houston? maybe..).

not sure what jim is harping about but i share naviguessor's sentiment in that something less classical and more in line with the HEB would have been greatly preferred. there's really nothing wrong with the design perse but nothing about it says montrose - in fact, it screams river oaks/tanglewood/memorial. montrose is young, hip, trendy and i think the HEB reflects that as well as a single-use grocery store could. Hines' new apt on westheimer would have looked fantastic next to the HEB and Menil. this.....

hell, just the name The Susanne... wth is that? how many young 20-something's earning decent money looking for a place in the loop want to live in a place named after their grandmother? the more i think about it the more puzzling this one is... it's almost as if marvy thought he was building on san felipe and kirby with the rest of the high end multifamily going on over there. seriously scratching my head over this one.

Jim - Agree with you.  HEB Parking Lot is great...as far as parking lots go.  I also understand that the buildings have different purposes...thus different designs.  However, I agree with swtsig, this does does not fit the neighborhood. Yes, its dense, like other devlopments underway, and others to come...but nobody will be saying, "Thank you, Marvy.  Thanks for creating something great for the neighborhood." or "Thanks for somehting Really Beautiful". 

Thank you, Dominique.  Thank you, Herbert.  ...for creating some things that Are Really Beautiful for our great neighborhood. 

When has Marvy Finger ever developed a modernist bldg?

I'd like a larger version of Mirabeau B. condo complex too but I'm not sure what y'all were expecting. He at least did the prairie style overhangs on the roof line (which will look better when seen in proportional context to the HEB's shorter height and more cantilevered overhangs). Everything else looks subtly budget conscious, a more common trait among the millennial cohort than most would give them credit for, but still varied enough for casual acceptance. This complex has to compete with quite a bit of comparable housing stock (mostly on Richmond which is good enough to be compared to them :cough: Richmond Landing :cough:) so I see your point about it falling below the Montrose expectations bar but I think it's real value to renters will be it's location.

I also noticed in the site plan that the complex's roundabout motor court will reflect the main entrance to the HEB, so there will be an architectural massing relationship between the two bldgs plans and elevations. That's more than I expected.

Archived