Isn't it great that AT&T is now a Texas Company. Though many people have negative feelings with the bells, I have even more negative feelings with Time Warner and hope that AT&T can be a serious competitor in the local cable monopoly.

I have many friends who have worked for SWB/SBC for a gazillion years and I would rather send my hard earned money to this Texas based company than Time Warner.

I am so looking forward to the day that they provide cable-like programming to my home. Even if the price is similar, I would rather spend my money with them and terminate my subscription with Time Warner.

I have been getting DSL from SBC for almost 5 years and I have been very happy with my service. I recall that it's only gone out twice. In fact we had both SBC and Time Warner for about a year because of my roommate and her Time Warner was always cutting out and thus she was always jumping on my computer.

• Like 1

Aside from New York, Houston doesn't have another city close to it's 23.

Also interesting that Texas has 2 cities in the top 5.

Did you see that Texas is the only state on that list THREE times?! :blush:

I was surprised to see that California had only one city on that list: San Fransisco. I assumed Los Angeles would be on the list someplace. Remember what happened when you assume :P

• Like 1

Our fair city is 2nd only to NYC in Fortune 500 companies B)

2006 Listings

If you click on Texas, it'll show you every single Fortune 500 company in the state. There's 102 of them, over a fifth of all 500. Compare that to 110 in California, 92 in New York (although the NYC area bleeds into NJ and CT), and 62 in Illinois. I think that we're probably right about in-line with our population when you add it all up.

I see why Houston appears to have so many. They counted by the political boundaries of each city, not by region or MSA. And Houston is geographically huge, encompassing many of its suburban employment centers, unlike most central cities.

If you click on Texas, it'll show you every single Fortune 500 company in the state. There's 102 of them, over a fifth of all 500.

Actually, Texas is home to 102 companies from the Fortune 1000 list; there are 56 Texas based companies on the Fortune 500 list.

• Like 1

Actually, Texas is home to 102 companies from the Fortune 1000 list; there are 56 Texas based companies on the Fortune 500 list.

Oh, yes. You are right...but the thing about them not counting suburban locations as being part of the central city is still accurate.

I wonder where shell would rank if it was an American company. Granted the worldwide headquarters is in the Hague.

[off_topic]kimberly, isn't that a picture of Dallas in your avatar? Or was that on purpose?[/off_topic]

its only the Shell Oil Division HQ's here ;)

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Oh yeah, oh yeah :D:P:P

Speaking of "big companies that have their headquarters in the state", I got some numbers on the 2006 Fortune 500 today, and Texas has passed up NY for the first time - 56 to 55 - making us the big numero uno, ahead of even CA (52), a state with almost twice our population. Can you say "$60+ oil"? Houston is still a strong #2 with 23 to NYC's 44, and well ahead of #3 Atlanta(14), #4 Dallas (11), and #5 Chicago (10) (city list - everybody else 7 or below). Atlanta still lists BellSouth, which should get absorbed by San Antonio-based AT&T/SBC this year. Chicago, and Dallas for that matter, would have a whole lot more if you looked at their metro areas instead of just the city - but Houston still has almost half of Texas' total, with the rest spread in the "Texas Triangle" between DFW, San Antonio, and Round Rock (...um, I mean 'Austin').

Oh yeah, oh yeah :D:P:P

Speaking of "big companies that have their headquarters in the state", I got some numbers on the 2006 Fortune 500 today, and Texas has passed up NY for the first time - 56 to 55 - making us the big numero uno, ahead of even CA (52), a state with almost twice our population. Can you say "$60+ oil"? Houston is still a strong #2 with 23 to NYC's 44, and well ahead of #3 Atlanta(14), #4 Dallas (11), and #5 Chicago (10) (city list - everybody else 7 or below). Atlanta still lists BellSouth, which should get absorbed by San Antonio-based AT&T/SBC this year. Chicago, and Dallas for that matter, would have a whole lot more if you looked at their metro areas instead of just the city - but Houston still has almost half of Texas' total, with the rest spread in the "Texas Triangle" between DFW, San Antonio, and Round Rock (...um, I mean 'Austin').

OH HELL YEAH!!

do you happen to have a list of the fortune 500 companies in houston?

ConocoPhillips

Marathon Oil

Plains All American Pipeline

Sysco

Halliburton

Lyondell Chemical

Waste Management

Enterprise Products

Continental Airlines

Reliant Energy

Kinder Morgan Energy

CenterPoint Energy

TEPPCO Partners

Burlington Resources

Apache

Baker Hughes

Enbridge Energy Partners

Dynegy

Group 1 Automotive

Smith International

National Oilwell Varco

El Paso

Frontier Oil

Anadarko Petroleum (The Woodlands)

Guest Plastic
ConocoPhillips

Marathon Oil

Plains All American Pipeline

Sysco

Halliburton

Lyondell Chemical

Waste Management

Enterprise Products

Continental Airlines

Reliant Energy

Kinder Morgan Energy

CenterPoint Energy

TEPPCO Partners

Burlington Resources

Apache

Baker Hughes

Enbridge Energy Partners

Dynegy

Group 1 Automotive

Smith International

National Oilwell Varco

El Paso

Frontier Oil

Anadarko Petroleum (The Woodlands)

You forgot SHell,Exxon-Mobile,Chevron-Texaco,Citgo,and isn't Valero?