Tommie Vaughn Ford/Chuck Davis Chevrolet

Ashikaga

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
McKinney and LaBranch. It's odd how there used to be so many car dealers downtown and car repair places downtown. Now there's not even a gas station that I know of.

Same thing over here. In the downtown areas of Beaumont, Port Arthur, and Orange there are no car dealers or gas stations to be found anywhere.

About those old photos of car dealers that you posted. I looked at the one of the Rambler dealer because my first car was a 1963 Rambler American. I saw a small car on that lot that looked small enough to be a two-seater. I asked my dad if Rambler made such a small car. He said that he thought that it was called the Metropolitan. So I entered Rambler Metropolitan on Google.Com. It showed some old ads. It got 41 miles per gallon. We could sure use a car like that today.

Maybe you know of a way to look it up and post it on the forum.

Of course!

The dealer:

ArcherRambler.jpg

and the Metropolitan:

met-002.jpg

Subdude,

It simply amazes me how you find and post photos so quickly! If the Rambler Metropolitan were made today, would you want one? I certainly would.

Subdude,

It simply amazes me how you find and post photos so quickly! If the Rambler Metropolitan were made today, would you want one? I certainly would.

Like I've said, back then a person either had a car or a pickup truck. There weren't any mini-vans or SUVs. If you had a big family and you needed a car with more room, you bought what was called a station wagon. My parents had a Rambler station wagon when I was about 10 or 11.

Of course!

The dealer:

ArcherRambler.jpg

ArcherMotors.jpg

Now here are two business that I never saw, but I remember hearing their commercials on the radio back during 1962-64.

The first was Tommie Vaughn Ford. I read in the Houston Chronicle that he passed away last week, and that his dealership is still in business.

TommieVaughnFord.jpg

You know, there was some connection here that was running around in the back of my mind, and I think I finally know what it is. I believe that Mike Persia became Chuck Davis, and the same jingle was used for Davis.

Boom ba ba boom ba ba boom ba ba

"Buy your Chevrolet from Davis. Chuck Davis Chevrolet.

Anybody agree with that?

I agree. It was Chuck Davis originally.

Give the man a 'vette!

B)

I look at the Houston Chronicle almost every day. I don't recall seeing Chuck Davis Chevrolet. The one that I see the most is Landmark Chevrolet.

Did your friend's dad ever bring home a Corvette?

I have a question for all of you. If you could well afford one, if you had enough money to pay cash for one, would any of you out there buy a Corvette?

Chet Cuccia

Chuck Davis Chevy is on the SE corner of 610 & Kirby. I bought a Cavalier there a few years ago.

Was there a Richardson chevrolet Southwest freeway at Hillcroft? I seem to remember a jingle like that. I also remember Bob Robertson Chevrolet on the Gulf Freeway but I dont remember if it was Wayside exit or Telephone rd exit.

Yes there was a Richardson Chevy

This is maybe there original location?

RichardsonChevy.jpg

[/quote

Thanks. Now I know I wasnt imagining things. Thats probably the original location as I remember the jingle from the late 60's or early 70's. Wouldnt a Thanksgiving special like that be nice right about now. No wonder my mom and dad could afford new cars every 2 years or so. Thanks again.

• 1 year later...
I think Chuck Davis Chevy should still be around. A friend of mine from high school, his family owned the place. His dad used to bring home some pretty sweet cars for a few days. Probably not the wisest decision with a bunch of high school kids salvating over the keys.

I saw an ad in the Houston Chronicle for Davis Chevrolet, but it had no first name in its name. I wonder if it might be the same Chuck Davis?

Thanks. Now I know I wasnt imagining things. Thats probably the original location as I remember the jingle from the late 60's or early 70's. Wouldnt a Thanksgiving special like that be nice right about now. No wonder my mom and dad could afford new cars every 2 years or so. Thanks again.

My dad says this is where he got one of our cars there too! 1960 Chevy Bel Air

Now I have the Bill McDavid jingle stuck in my head; a woman singing with a wood block tapping in the background that made me think of a little trotting burro. I think I remember the lyrics correctly:

For the finest deals in Texas land

it's Bill McDavid's Texas brand!

Bill Mc David, Exit 7 (pause) Gulf-Free-way!

I saw an ad in the Houston Chronicle for Davis Chevrolet, but it had no first name in its name. I wonder if it might be the same Chuck Davis?

It is the same company, but I don't think it is the same owner. Davis Chevrolet is on the South Loop across from Reliant by Calvert Toyota.

The original Chuck Davis Chevrolet was on OST just east of what is now 288 near where Southern Sales used to be.

Joe

It is the same company, but I don't think it is the same owner. Davis Chevrolet is on the South Loop across from Reliant by Calvert Toyota.

The original Chuck Davis Chevrolet was on OST just east of what is now 288 near where Southern Sales used to be.

Joe

Thanks. Even though it was at least four decades ago, I can still hear both the Chuck Davis Chevrolet & Tommie Vaughn Ford songs that were on their radio commercials going through my head.

Now I have the Bill McDavid jingle stuck in my head; a woman singing with a wood block tapping in the background that made me think of a little trotting burro. I think I remember the lyrics correctly:

For the finest deals in Texas land

it's Bill McDavid's Texas brand!

Bill Mc David, Exit 7 (pause) Gulf-Free-way!

When I was a kid, the giant Bill McDavid "Rocket" neon sign was a key landmark on the trip between Houston and Galveston; it was impressive enough during the day, but when we'd return from Galveston at dusk or after dark and it was lit up, you could see it for what seemed like miles. It had special significance, since it represented both Oldsmobile's line of Rocket engines as well as Houston's space heritage, and my mother was a longtime Oldsmobile owner (although, strangely enough, I don't think we ever bought a car at McDavid's dealership).

When I was a kid, the giant Bill McDavid "Rocket" neon sign was a key landmark on the trip between Houston and Galveston; it was impressive enough during the day, but when we'd return from Galveston at dusk or after dark and it was lit up, you could see it for what seemed like miles. It had special significance, since it represented both Oldsmobile's line of Rocket engines as well as Houston's space heritage, and my mother was a longtime Oldsmobile owner (although, strangely enough, I don't think we ever bought a car at McDavid's dealership).

Now Oldsmobile is a thing of the past.

My dad almost bought a '64 Dodge from Art Grindle on Westheimer at Chimney Rock. It later became Southwest Dodge. They tried to pull the classic "trade-in manuever" on him, and when he realized the terms for the new car were all of sudden different from what he agreed upon, my dad demanded his old car keys back. The salesman insisted that the deal was final and kept repeating "but here are the keys to your new car, sir". My father got so mad he came over the salesman's desk and grabbed him by the collar. I was so exicted, I'd never seen my father in a "fight" before. It was every kid's dream to see your father (and hero) threaten to kick someone's ass. He got his keys back within a few minutes, and eventually bought a Plymouth from Rosenstock Motors downtown.

My dad almost bought a '64 Dodge from Art Grindle on Westheimer at Chimney Rock. It later became Southwest Dodge. They tried to pull the classic "trade-in manuever" on him, and when he realized the terms for the new car were all of sudden different from what he agreed upon, my dad demanded his old car keys back. The salesman insisted that the deal was final and kept repeating "but here are the keys to your new car, sir". My father got so mad he came over the salesman's desk and grabbed him by the collar. I was so exicted, I'd never seen my father in a "fight" before. It was every kid's dream to see your father (and hero) threaten to kick someone's ass. He got his keys back within a few minutes, and eventually bought a Plymouth from Rosenstock Motors downtown.

I read that car salesmen are tied with politicians as the most untrustworthy persons. But I don't know what the "trade-in manuever" is. Maybe you can enlighten me on that.

I read that car salesmen are tied with politicians as the most untrustworthy persons. But I don't know what the "trade-in manuever" is. Maybe you can enlighten me on that.

"The trade-in manuever" is the promise that your old car was worth $500.00, but then when it came time to sign on the dotted line, the story is changed to "the used car manager overuled me pal and your old car is really only worth a $100.00 bucks". My dad may have been just a working class plumber, but he was smart enough to see through that scam.

"The trade-in manuever" is the promise that your old car was worth $500.00, but then when it came time to sign on the dotted line, the story is changed to "the used car manager overuled me pal and your old car is really only worth a $100.00 bucks". My dad may have been just a working class plumber, but he was smart enough to see through that scam.

Now do you see why people don't trust car salespeople?

Here's another classic. Does any one remember the Dodge commercials with Sheriff Joe Higgins. I know it's not Historic Houston but a classic still.

joe

"You in a heap o' trouble boy." I've always loved the way bit-part and 3rd banana actors get famous and make a lot of money in TV commercials. Dick Wilson -- the guy who did the "Don't Squeeze the Charmin" commercials -- had done small roles in the movies and on TV for years, but no one remembers him for anything but those commercials.

Same with Joe Higgins. He had done small TV roles for years before he landed those Dodge sheriff commercials. All of a sudden the guy's a national phenomenon, and everybody's going around imitating the way he said that catch line. Only in the USA.

Dr. Joseph Higgins PhD was a talented actor, and a man of many interests and abilities.

Check him out on the Internet Movie Database. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0383414/

• 2 weeks later...
Don't ask how or why this remained in my memory for so long. This is the Chuck Davis jingle from the 60's:

Davis

Chuck Davis

Chuck Davis Chevrolet

Can and will make you a better deal

On America's number one automobile

Davis

Chuck Davis

Chuck Davis Chevrolet

Oh yeah!

Chuck Davis Chevrolet

Rosenstock always ended his commecials with "If you don't buy your car from Rosenstock - we both lose money"

There was another dealership that I can't remember the name of that ended their commercials with "Downtown - San Jacinto at Pease" spoken in a very deliberate manner.

I believe the Boom ba ba boom ba ba boom ba ba jingle was originally Mike Persia and may have been taken over by Chuck Davis some years later

Excellent! Those are the words that I remember on the radio. Chuck Davis Chevrolet, Oh Yeah!

Years ago, I remember a TV commericial. The jingle went:

"Everything is beautiful at Peacock, Chev-Ro-LET"

It would show a colorful peacock similar to the one on the NBC Network.

Don't ask how or why this remained in my memory for so long. This is the Chuck Davis jingle from the 60's:

Davis

Chuck Davis

Chuck Davis Chevrolet

Can and will make you a better deal

On America's number one automobile

Davis

Chuck Davis

Chuck Davis Chevrolet

Oh yeah!

Chuck Davis Chevrolet

Rosenstock always ended his commecials with "If you don't buy your car from Rosenstock - we both lose money"

There was another dealership that I can't remember the name of that ended their commercials with "Downtown - San Jacinto at Pease" spoken in a very deliberate manner.

I believe the Boom ba ba boom ba ba boom ba ba jingle was originally Mike Persia and may have been taken over by Chuck Davis some years later

I believe that was Chick Smith. He later moved to Spring and ended his commercials with "Chick Smith Ford. Right next door to the Goodyear blimp base." His son went through a bitter divorce. He kidnapped his kids and fled to Mexico. Chick Smith said he didn't know where he was but it turned out he was supporting him the whole time.

joe

Archived