Tommie Vaughn Ford/Chuck Davis Chevrolet

Ashikaga

Now here are two business that I never saw, but I remember hearing their commercials on the radio back during 1962-64.

The first was Tommie Vaughn Ford. I read in the Houston Chronicle that he passed away last week, and that his dealership is still in business.

The second was Chuck Davis Chevrolet. Like Boyd Mullen Chevrolet, I don't think it's there anymore. Does anyone out there know anything about Chuck Davis Chevrolet?

Chet Cuccia

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Now here are two business that I never saw, but I remember hearing their commercials on the radio back during 1962-64.

The first was Tommie Vaughn Ford.  I read in the Houston Chronicle that he passed away last week, and that his dealership is still in business.

The second was Chuck Davis Chevrolet.  Like Boyd Mullen Chevrolet, I don't think it's there anymore.  Does anyone out there know anything about Chuck Davis Chevrolet?

Chet Cuccia

I thought that someone would respond to this topic because Tommie Vaughn passed away a few weeks ago. I remember his dealership back in the early 1960s along with Chuck Davis Chevrolet. I was just wondering if any of you could remember the latter.

Chet Cuccia

How about this one?

Boom ba ba boom ba ba boom ba ba

"Buy your Chevrolet from Persia. Mike Persia Chevrolet.

Buy your Chevrolet from Persia. Mike Persia Chevrolet."

BTW, there was a post about Tommie Vaughn's passing last week.

How about this one?

No, I can't say that I've ever heard of Mike Persia Chevrolet. I've heard that Houston is the best place to buy a new vehicle because of the competition.

Chet Cuccia

I think Chuck Davis Chevy should still be around. A friend of mine from high school, his family owned the place. His dad used to bring home some pretty sweet cars for a few days. Probably not the wisest decision with a bunch of high school kids salvating over the keys.

I think Chuck Davis Chevy should still be around. A friend of mine from high school, his family owned the place. His dad used to bring home some pretty sweet cars for a few days. Probably not the wisest decision with a bunch of high school kids salvating over the keys.

I look at the Houston Chronicle almost every day. I don't recall seeing Chuck Davis Chevrolet. The one that I see the most is Landmark Chevrolet.

Did your friend's dad ever bring home a Corvette?

I have a question for all of you. If you could well afford one, if you had enough money to pay cash for one, would any of you out there buy a Corvette?

Chet Cuccia

I have a question for all of you.  If you could well afford one, if you had enough money to pay cash for one, would any of you out there buy a Corvette?

Personally, I'm a Ferrari Spyder kinda girl. I'd keep on saving.. Although, I've always been partial to the ol' Stingrays. Mmm. '70 in Bridgehampton Blue.

I look at the Houston Chronicle almost every day.  I don't recall seeing Chuck Davis Chevrolet.  The one that I see the most is Landmark Chevrolet.

Did your friend's dad ever bring home a Corvette?

I have a question for all of you.  If you could well afford one, if you had enough money to pay cash for one, would any of you out there buy a Corvette?

Chet Cuccia

Actually, he did. It was blue, with a window as a hood. It was pretty awesome. Seeing this huge engine from outside of the car.

That reminds me of an old Aggie joke about why Aggies have pointed chins and flat foreheads. When I read about your car, I was stroking my chin wondering if I should know the answer. Naturally, the forehead came in for a good slap when the obvious answer struck me.

• 2 weeks later...

Mr Vaughan was a good friend of my family growing up, probably because he and my grandfather kept an A&M and LSU debate going since both played football for their college. He really had a way of dealing with people and still being a business man. Every car we ever bought came from there until my grandfather bought a Lincoln Town Car in 94. Mr Vaughan gave me one of my first jobs when I was in High School and he told me he rarely advertised because he believed if people wanted to come, the didn't need to be coaxed and he liked having a group of return customers he could forge a relationship with rather than sell you a car and never see you again. Earlier this year I went to Houston to see my family and went by Tommie Vaughan Ford because I was looking at buying a truck. Well Mr. Vaughan made an appearance with his nurse and it broke my heart to see this previously strong, loving, caring, personalble man sitting there weak and frail not recognizing me or my mom and feeling the weakness in his handshake. After my mom called and told me he had passed I am glad I had that one last chance to shake his hand. I know this has nothing to do with your post, but I guess I felt like I had to say it.

Tommie Vaughan Ford will never be the same. His son in law now runs it, and I have nothing to say negative, but I feel I must say it is run purely as a business now, not as a relationship when Mr vaughan was... God Bless Him and his family...

Mr Vaughan was a good friend of my family growing up, probably because he and my grandfather kept an A&M and LSU debate going since both played football for their college. He really had a way of dealing with people and still being a business man. Every car we ever bought came from there until my grandfather bought a Lincoln Town Car in 94. Mr Vaughan gave me one of my first jobs when I was in High School and he told me he rarely advertised because he believed if people wanted to come, the didn't need to be coaxed and he liked having a group of return customers he could forge a relationship with rather than sell you a car and never see you again. Earlier this year I went to Houston to see my family and went by Tommie Vaughan Ford because I was looking at buying a truck. Well Mr. Vaughan made an appearance with his nurse and it broke my heart to see this previously strong, loving, caring, personalble man sitting there weak and frail not recognizing me or my mom and feeling the weakness in his handshake. After my mom called and told me he had passed I am glad I had that one last chance to shake his hand. I know this has nothing to do with your post, but I guess I felt like I had to say it.

Tommie Vaughan Ford will never be the same. His son in law now runs it, and I have nothing to say negative, but I feel I must say it is run purely as a business now, not as a relationship when Mr vaughan was... God Bless Him and his family...

Thank you for taking the time to express your feelings for Mr. Vaughn.  I started this topic simply because I remembered from when I lived in Houston (1962-64) hearing commercials on the radio for Tommy Vaughn Ford and for Chuck Davis Chevrolet. I guess Mr. Vaughn's family will continue running the dealership the was that he did.

Chet Cuccia

How about this one?

H2B, I definitely remember this. I was actually going to post the same thing until I saw your post.

Also, who remembers Mike Peacock Chevrolet on Katy Freeway. Last I knew, he sold it and opened a Caddy dealership on the North Freeway.

You know, there was some connection here that was running around in the back of my mind, and I think I finally know what it is. I believe that Mike Persia became Chuck Davis, and the same jingle was used for Davis.

"Buy your Chevrolet from Davis. Chuck Davis Chevrolet.

Anybody agree with that?

As to Peacock, I think it was Tom Peacock, but I don't know where they were. He has a Cadillac dealership on the North Freeway, so maybe that was a Chevrolet place before that.

As to Peacock, I think it was Tom Peacock, but I don't know where they were. He has a Cadillac dealership on the North Freeway, so maybe that was a Chevrolet place before that.

I remember the Tom Peacock commercials that always had a good looking gal doing the pitch. Someone told me that was Tom Peacock's wife.

7777 Katy Freeway

i know Courtesy Chevrolet is there now but wasn't that the former location of Peacock?

I can remember the "seventy seven seventy seven katy freeway" jingle and I associate it with Peacock.

Does anyone out there know anything about Chuck Davis Chevrolet?

Chet Cuccia

Chuck Davis had a large dealership at 3555 O.S.T. in the 1960s and 70s. He is also listed at 8452 Gulf Freeway between a Texaco station and a Pier 1 in 1969.

Mike Persia had dealerships in New Orleans at 300 N. Rampart and 1361 Canal Street. There was one in the Houston market too. At one point I remember his commercial tune with the drums used for Joe Conti Chevrolet. It had all the same lyrics but the name was changed.

Tom Peacock Chevrolet has been acquired by Mac Haik and is still located at 11711 Katy Freeway. They still use the peacock logo on that and other Haik dealerships. The "Everything is Beautiful at Peacock" lady is Tom Peacock's daughter. We once attended the same church. Now in her 50s, I have seen her more recently on Tom Peacock Cadillac commercials. I don't believe they were ever connected with Courtsey Chevrolet at 7777 Katy Freeway. (Are they being forced to move due to the I-10 expansion?)

Paul Wishnow, a long time Houston media personality, has a radio show on AM 1070 where he discusses antiques every Sunday afternoon. He still uses the vintage radio commercials from the 50s - 70s for his sponsors when possible. Westheimer Moving and Storage and Houston Jewelery and Distributing are two he plays that have tunes that sound like they were done by the same group that made the car commercials mentioned above.

• 2 weeks later...
Chuck Davis had a large dealership at 3555 O.S.T. in the 1960s and 70s.  He is also listed at 8452 Gulf Freeway between a Texaco station and a Pier 1 in 1969.

Mike Persia had dealerships in New Orleans at 300 N. Rampart and 1361 Canal Street.  There was one in the Houston market too. 

The "Everything is Beautiful at Peacock" lady is Tom Peacock's daughter. 

True about the Tom Peacock lady.

Chuck Davis was still in business ca. 10 years ago; I went there to look at a used car. The dealership was pretty run down. There's a Davis Chevrolet dealership on the S. Loop at Kirby.

Tommie Vaughn is still in business on N. Shepherd, inside the Loop.

I have not been able to remember where Mike Persia was located but I remember the name and the commercials. What was the name of the Chevy dealership on Shepherd at Westheimer, where the Randall's center is now?

Incidentally, Hub Foshee died this week. He took over the DeMontrond Buick dealership on Kirby and Westheimer and ran it as Hub Buick for years.

I don't believe they were ever connected with Courtsey Chevrolet at 7777 Katy Freeway.  (Are they being forced to move due to the I-10 expansion?)

Nope, they are expanding.

They bought the Holiday Inn next door and will be bulldozing it so they can put up a parking lot (or so the song says)

• 2 months later...

Yes, things used to be simpler. There were simply cars and pickup trucks. No mini vans or SUVs. If you had a big family and needed more room, you bought a station wagon.

Phone service used to be simpler (but, I'll admit, more expensive). There were a handful of area codes. I remember 713 covered all of Houston, Galveston, Beaumont, and all of the way up to Jasper. Now there are so many different area codes around, you never know which one you're in when you drive somewhere. I think that the city of Houston itself has three area codes.

If you needed to make a long distance call (even though it cost more back then), you simply picked up the phone and "dialed." There was only one long distance carrier (AT&T). You knew to think carefully before making that call because it was simple: You knew that your phone bill would be higher when it came in the mail.

I looked up "BellSystem.Com." It shows all of the magazine advertisements of years ago. It brought back many memories for me.

• 4 weeks later...
Mike Persia had dealerships in New Orleans at 300 N. Rampart and 1361 Canal Street. There was one in the Houston market too. At one point I remember his commercial tune with the drums used for Joe Conti Chevrolet. It had all the same lyrics but the name was changed.

46291b9e.jpg

Archived