The lack of shade at sidewalk level

I went to Bermuda a couple of weeks ago, and even though it was hot, it didn't feel as bad, because many of the buildings at sidewalk level built structures to provide shade to pedestrians. As I walk around downtown, I notice total inconsistency, sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not. With the implementation of A/C this kind of design was disregarded but I think it's a small thing that could make a huge difference and possibly add pedestrian life to a downtown that is severely lacking one.

I went to Bermuda a couple of weeks ago, and even though it was hot, it didn't feel as bad, because many of the buildings at sidewalk level built structures to provide shade to pedestrians. As I walk around downtown, I notice total inconsistency, sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not. With the implementation of A/C this kind of design was disregarded but I think it's a small thing that could make a huge difference and possibly add pedestrian life to a downtown that is severely lacking one.

I agree.

I spent time looking at the Post development on west gray, trying to figure out what makes it such an appealing, pedestrian area while most of the rest of midtown and downtown is not.

Then I noticed this:

post-9042-0-48723700-1375748472_thumb.jp

post-9042-0-80236500-1375748485_thumb.jp

See those little green things that are all evenly spaced on the sidewalks around the property? Superb design. I really do believe the shade adds to the street level comfort and experience.

And the pretty red bricks don't hurt either.....

I don't understand how anyone on this board could argue that shade is not a good thing or would improve life for pedestrians. It's a no brainer and anyone who would argue otherwise is either an idiot or a lizard that needs the sun to warm themself.

Where a hat! I went to Phoenix two weeks ago. It was 125 degrees there and I'm sorry dry heat is much hotter. I could not take it. No matter lip balm and lotion you use my skin starting cracking. US Airways cancelled 20 flights because it was so hot the planes need a lift to take off. My UA flight left on schedule but you can tell they were cruising a lot faster down the runway to take off. It was weight restricted only it was half full.

I don't see anyone arguing that shade isn't a good thing. The question is how much lack of shade is a deterrent to retail development. it's definitely a factor, just not sure how much of a factor.

It's not about retail it's about for the benefit of a person that is walking. Everything isn't about dollars and cents.

i posted some pictures in the other thread about whats holding downtown back, but i like the horizontal roman shades. they could be implemented around popular hot spots in the downtown area to provide shade when its hot, while still looking good.

DSC03686_zps29fbfe8b.jpg

Archived