Boyd Mullen Chevrolet Dealership At 816 W. Pasadena Fwy.

Ashikaga

Once again, I remembered something else from over 40 years ago. This was I remember, in Pasadena, on State Highway 225 not far from Gulfgate Shopping Center/Mall. It was a car dealership called Boyd Mullen Chevrolet. I think that it was at the Shafer/Shaver Street exit. I don't think that it's there anymore. How far on or off base am I?

Chet Cuccia

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
timmers is on 225 around south richey, i believe, and it has had that namesake since at least the mid eighties

boyd mullen sounds (recently) familiar, but i can't figure out why...

I remember near it was a drive-in restaurant with carhops. Loud "swamp pop" music was always playing over the PA speakers there.

• 6 months later...
timmers is on 225 around south richey, i believe, and it has had that namesake since at least the mid eighties

boyd mullen sounds (recently) familiar, but i can't figure out why...

The last time that I was near that car lot was back in 1981 while working at a temporary job in Houston. I remember going to a convenience store near it to buy some beer, but the clerk told me that they didn't sell it, and none of the other stores did, either. Was or is Pasadena dry?

The Chevvie dealership at 225 and Richey has been Timmers Chevrolet for at least 20 years -- maybe more. Before that it was Boyd Mullen Chevvie for as long as I can remember. It was Mullen when I moved to Pasadena in 1955.

Also, in those days the 225 freeway wasn't there. It was named Sterling Street in Pasadena, and La Porte Road outside Pasadena. That street is still there but it's now the westbound feeder road for 225.

The timmers chevrolet building was demolished last month. The only thing that stands is the body shop. I hope they build something useful there. A Valero would be nice maybe $3.00 gas on this side would not be missed. (all gas stations around the 225 freeway have almost 2.99 gas!)

The timmers chevrolet building was demolished last month. The only thing that stands is the body shop. I hope they build something useful there. A Valero would be nice maybe $3.00 gas on this side would not be missed. (all gas stations around the 225 freeway have almost 2.99 gas!)

I remember that on the Boyd Mullen sign his name was in distinctive cursive letters that would catch your eye from a distance.

:blink:

I remember that on the Boyd Mullen sign his name was in distinctive cursive letters that would catch your eye from a distance.

I need to get over to Pasadena more often. I wasn't aware that the old Timmers Chevvie store had closed. Won't be the same on that corner without a big car lot. Ah yes, progress. I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
:blink:

I need to get over to Pasadena more often. I wasn't aware that the old Timmers Chevvie store had closed. Won't be the same on that corner without a big car lot. Ah yes, progress. I guess.

Now I've just remember at Boyd Mullen and other dealers the "OK Used Cars" sign. That was a national logo. I see it in back issues of Life and Look magazines.

• 8 months later...

I saw some photos on TexasFreeway.com which showed the stretch of Texas Highway 225 from the San Jacinto Monument to where it dead ends near IH-610. One of those photos is looking west. I could see the exit to Richey/Shaver Street and could see that Timmers Chevrolet dealership. Looking on a map, I think that Richey is the street that you would take to go through the Washburn Tunnel. When you arrive on the north side of the channel, it becomes Federal Road.

I remember Boyd Mullen chevrolet very well...when I was 17yo, my Dad bought my first corvette there. I wanted a hot yellow new 1966 t-top coupe, but it was $4700, Dad did not want to pay that much. They had a special order come in that the guy did not take...it was a new 1966 convertable for $3600...no airconditioning, blue. I told Dad I could live with it...he was not much into cars so I did not tell him why it did not have A/C...it was a 427cu/425hp (factory!) with racing clutch, heavy duty 4-speed, 3.7 rear end with solid lifters....70mph in 1st gear! (in a hurry). I loved that car, even with 10mpg!

MK

I remember Boyd Mullen chevrolet very well...when I was 17yo, my Dad bought my first corvette there. I wanted a hot yellow new 1966 t-top coupe, but it was $4700, Dad did not want to pay that much. They had a special order come in that the guy did not take...it was a new 1966 convertable for $3600...no airconditioning, blue. I told Dad I could live with it...he was not much into cars so I did not tell him why it did not have A/C...it was a 427cu/425hp (factory!) with racing clutch, heavy duty 4-speed, 3.7 rear end with solid lifters....70mph in 1st gear! (in a hurry). I loved that car, even with 10mpg!

MK

Yes, I remember the Boyd Mullen sign. But my parent's didn't get their first new car until 1970, and it was a Ford Pinto, not a Boyd Mullen Chevrolet.

Timmers Chevrolet moved and changed names. It was owned by a guy named Carroll Smith. He had those commercials on tv that said " I don't want to be your plumbler, and I don't want to be you dentist ....... I just want to be your car dealer.

It is now Monument Chevrolet on 225 and Beltway 8. It was once advertised as "Carroll Smiths-Monument Chevrolet" but I haven't seen any commercials for it in a long time.

joe

MK

Jesus! I'd have probably killed myself if I'd had one of those when I was 17! :o $3600 was a fair chunk of change in 1966, but even in 1966 dollars it's still a lot less than what a 427 Vette of that vintage is worth today. Hope you held onto it for a long time - I'm not sure I could've sold a car like that if I'd ever had one.

Jesus! I'd have probably killed myself if I'd had one of those when I was 17! :o $3600 was a fair chunk of change in 1966, but even in 1966 dollars it's still a lot less than what a 427 Vette of that vintage is worth today. Hope you held onto it for a long time - I'm not sure I could've sold a car like that if I'd ever had one.

I darn near killed myself in it a few times...it lasted 4 years. I was sitting at a stop sign on a rainy night and some lady lost control of her car and skid broadside into me. I had the body fixed, but it messed up the frame. Anything over 30mph and it rattled after that. Had to let it go. Traded it in for a 1970 corvette, yellow, t-top, 427/390hp with A/C...only 200 of them built! Guess what, in 1972 it was stolen, never found. I love corvettes, they just gave me bad luck!

MK

ps - one time in the 1966 vette (before I-45, when 75 was still a two lane) I was late for a date in Houston and drove Dallas to Houston in 2hrs, 30min...stopped for gas twice!

I darn near killed myself in it a few times...it lasted 4 years. I was sitting at a stop sign on a rainy night and some lady lost control of her car and skid broadside into me. I had the body fixed, but it messed up the frame. Anything over 30mph and it rattled after that. Had to let it go. Traded it in for a 1970 corvette, yellow, t-top, 427/390hp with A/C...only 200 of them built! Guess what, in 1972 it was stolen, never found. I love corvettes, they just gave me bad luck!

MK

ps - one time in the 1966 vette (before I-45, when 75 was still a two lane) I was late for a date in Houston and drove Dallas to Houston in 2hrs, 30min...stopped for gas twice!

In the newspaper today I see the price of Corvettes ranging from $40,000 to $55,000.

• 4 years later...

Once again, I remembered something else from over 40 years ago. This was I remember, in Pasadena, on State Highway 225 not far from Gulfgate Shopping Center/Mall. It was a car dealership called Boyd Mullen Chevrolet. I think that it was at the Shafer/Shaver Street exit. I don't think that it's there anymore. How far on or off base am I?

Chet Cuccia

It was Boyd Mullin Chev. at the corner of Sterling Ave (latter changed to Pasadena Fwy) and Richey St. I worked at the boat place at 922 W. Sterling (Pasadena Fwy) 1961-1974, next to Axle Wheel & Frame. Going towards Houston on the old Sterling Ave before you got to Sinclair Refinery there was a place called the Do-Nut hole and next to it was a drive-in hamber (like the type of Princes') called the Corral and they also had car hops.

The old Corral drive-in next to the refinery was also just outside the Pasadena City Limits. That meant they served beer, and it was THE place to go if you could find a friend old enough to go with you and buy it for you. Countless Pasadena kids did that over the years. Me included.

Speaking of the Corral, I recently saw the Corral's big sign in an episode of American Pickers on the History Channel. Those two guys came down to Pasadena to rummage through Mickey Gilley's trove of old stuff looking for stuff to buy.

When they were done with Gilley, he sent them to another junk collector up near Dallas, and there on that guy's big lot was the Corral Drive-in sign. I mean the big vertical sign, with the letters running up and down, instead of side to side. It really does still exist.

• The title was changed to Boyd Mullen Chevrolet Dealership
  • The title was changed to Boyd Mullen Chevrolet Dealership At 816 W. Pasadena Fwy.

Archived