Lighting Up The Montrose Bridges Over I59

Would be nice to see this again! I was wondering what's up with this as well...

1.jpg

That's beautiful but I honestly don't even remember what they really looked like. This definitely isn't anything that I would imagine had been there.

That's beautiful but I honestly don't even remember what they really looked like. This definitely isn't anything that I would imagine had been there.

As i recall, it was just the light on the arch (the red light in the pic) that lit up. The color changed slowly (like the Memorial Hermann Tower). The orange criss-crossing beams in the pic did not light up, at least not that I ever noticed.

I remember the neon strips arching the top but not tge bright orange glow on the upper framing. It seems there were new surface street lights erected when the bridge opened, making the road a brighter orange, but not the frame lit up that way. It's sad that we don't remember what it looked like, because its never been maintained. What a shame.

I don't remember exactly what technology was used, but IIRC it was something a bit novel at the time.  It seems like they only worked for a few months, and after that, the tubes carrying the lighting element (whatever it was) started drooping like crazy.

Lighting technology has advanced so much in just the last several years, it may be feasible to replicate the intended appearance with something both more economical and more reliable - perhaps LED based.  I can't imagine TxDoT digging up the money to do so, however, unless they can come up with some sort of tolling scheme.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A few years back I attended most of the MMD meetings- they are open to the public ( weird time tho like 3pm on week day) I should say that everyone was friendly and each meeting there was a time when " does anyone in audience have any issues to bring before the district?" I was part of the agenda-- in the years I went I only saw one other observer-Ii'm not sure how much feedback the MMD gets from Montrose residents-

I never had anything specific to bring up - I just wanted to report their "doings" back to my civic associations--- but all this discussion about the bridge might be a great topic to bring to the MMD---it could liven up those meetings for sure. ;)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Montrose Bridge Lighting gets Chance to Shine

The Montrose Management District, Texas Department of Transportation and Houston-Galveston Area Council are poised to split the nearly $2 million cost overrun to replace lighting along Woodhead, Mandell, Dunlavy, Hazard, Graustark and Montrose - the latter actually two bridges. H-GAC's technical advisory council approved spending nearly $665,000 on Wednesday, sending the final approval on to the Transportation Policy Council that has the final say later this month.

If approved, and with a state approval also pending but expected, the project could start in a matter of months, with a contract awarded in February or March, officials said.

• Like 3

The Chronicle had article in today's paper:

The Montrose Management District, Texas Department of Transportation and Houston-Galveston Area Council are poised to split the nearly $2 million cost overrun to replace lighting along Woodhead, Mandell, Dunlavy, Hazard, Graustark and Montrose - the last actually two bridges. H-GAC's technical advisory council on Wednesday approved spending nearly $665,000, sending the final approval on to the Transportation Policy Council, which has the final say later this month.........

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
1 hour ago, The Pragmatist said:

I am in the group of people who never knew nor saw that these lit up. Granted, I was young and was never around this area when these bridges were first built. It would look nice to see them lit up though.

They used to look pretty neat and made it interesting driving through the area until they started burning out and were never replaced.  I always thought it would be more interesting if the bridges were painted different colors instead.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...