Former Fiesta On Interstate 10 West

IronTiger

Prior to the new fancy Fiesta Market Place opening last summer, I didn't think that Fiesta operated any "fancy" stores. I'm aware that the 99 Ranch Market (or Ranch 99 Market, one of the two) opened in a former Fiesta on Interstate 10 (Fiesta closed during the Katy Freeway widening). Problem is, I'm having a difficult time believing it opened as a Fiesta, since it seems to be at home with second-run grocery stores (old AppleTree/Safeway stores, particularly). Was the Interstate 10 Fiesta originally something else? Sure seems like it.

Where is this fancy Fiesta Marketplace? We had a Fiesta take over the old Kroger space at Westheimer and Dairy Ashford and it's slightly nicer than the one at Bellaire and Hwy 6 (not that that's a good thing as you can't get fresh made tacos at the new one).

The parking lot, even when accounting for the adjacent strip, is quite large (about 3-4 rows were cut in the highway expansion), too large for anything but destination furniture stores. It wasn't STØR, I know that much. Kroger doesn't make a lot of sense: why would they abandon it for the nearby old AppleTree? Winn-Dixie didn't have it either (no Houston stores). Mystery indeed.

There once was a HUGE fancy one down 45 south and FM 528. they had hydroponic gardens all a bunch of other stuff as well. It was really way ahead of its time when it was opened. I think it is a Burlington coat factory now. 

Weingarten's got into the real estate business after it dumped their stores in the '80s. It by no means proves it used to be a Weingarten's. When I can sit down at a computer again, I might be able to nail down when the building was built.

After reading about the fancy one in Webster (very un-Fiesta like), I'm starting to wonder if it really did start as a Fiesta after all. I'm betting they became more like the Fiesta of today when they absorbed all the relatively small and dumpy AppleTree stores...

CONFIRMED!

New Fiesta to anchor I-10- Blalock center

Houston Chronicle - Sunday, JUNE 4, 1989
Author: Staff

Weingarten Realty Investors will develop a west Houston shopping center anchored by a Fiesta Supermarket, the Houston-based real estate investment trust company announced. 

The 115,000-square-foot center, located at Interstate 10 and Blalock , will be anchored by an 80,000-square-foot Fiesta Supermarket, Weingarten said. 

Construction will begin within weeks and opening for the Fiesta store is scheduled in January 1990. 

The Fiesta store, designed by Hermes Reed Hindman, will feature a large archway through a 95-foot skylighted tower. The Blalock store will be the 19th in the Houston-based Fiesta grocery chain. 

Fiesta 's in-house construction company will serve as general contractor for the Fiesta building and Sun Builders will be general contractor for the remainder of the Blalock center. R.G. George and Associates is mechanical engineer and Haynes Whaley is structural engineer, said project manager John Marcisz of Weingarten. 

The retail center, called 10 Blalock Square, will be the third new retail development to be built by Weingarten in the Houston area in the last two years. 

Last year, Weingarten developed The Shops at Three Corners, located at the intersection of Main, Kirby and OST, near the Astrodome. The Shops at Three Corners is 99 percent leased. An 86,000-square-foot K mart is under construction as Phase II of the project. 

Weingarten also is developing the 200,000-square-foot Centre at River Pointe in the Conroe area on Interstate 45 at Loop 336. The River Pointe project, anchored by Albertson's Supermarket and K mart, is expected to open in November.

• The title was changed to Former Fiesta On Interstate 10 West

Archived