Ziegler Cooper: Mixed-Use Development

lockmat

I posted this in the 102-story thread, but this is too exciting not to have its own. The only disappointment I might have with it is if it is not downtown. If it is, the sky is the limit for downtown. It will be a paradigm shift for Houstonians opinion of our cbd.

From Bisnow:

Kurt (whose office is designing 7M SF totaling $1B across property types) proved his prowess as a prognosticator. During last year's event, he predicted mixed-use would grow. (Now we call him every day for the weather and the trifecta winners at the horse track.) He was right, but there's been a shift within that sector from horizontal to vertical mixed-use. The facilities are high-rises with product types stacked on top of each other—Ziegler Cooper is designing two of these, one in Houston and one in Austin. The Houston facility will include multifamily, hotel, retail, and office components.

Lockmat, don't be so trigger happy! While this could become potentially wonderful news, it's not "going up".

Unless you are not telling us something...

I have nothin else. Where should we put it? "Other Houston?"

I just don't understand the use of mega in the thread title. Yes, they say it'll have office, residential, hotel, and retail which could make for a pretty big project, but that doesn't mean it will be a "mega development"(if that means anything).

Add parking into the mixed-use mix, though, and it'll probably be pretty mega.  :P

I just don't understand the use of mega in the thread title. Yes, they say it'll have office, residential, hotel, and retail which could make for a pretty big project, but that doesn't mean it will be a "mega development"(if that means anything).

Add parking into the mixed-use mix, though, and it'll probably be pretty mega. :P

The truth is it'll probably not be anything other than a grand idea

Add parking into the mixed-use mix, though, and it'll probably be pretty mega. :P

Maybe I went a liiiitle overboard with mega, but if it has all four components, what other building in Houston has all those? None.

I would expect 2 stories of retail, 300 rental units (8-10 stories), 250 hotel rooms (8-12 stories) and 10 stories of office. So 30ish stories, maybe not mega but the combination kinda makes it mega ;)

Maybe I went a liiiitle overboard with mega, but if it has all our components, what other building in Houston has all those? None.

I would expect 2 stories of retail, 300 rental units (8-10 stories), 250 hotel rooms (8-12 stories) and 10 stories of office. So 30ish stories, maybe not mega but the combination kinda makes it mega ;)

If that's the way it would be I wouldn't mind it :) Building's rising on every corner in Houston.

Maybe I went a liiiitle overboard with mega, but if it has all four components, what other building in Houston has all those? None.

300 apartments in only 8-10 stories? I would expect at least twice that many stories. For example: The Sovereign. 290 apts. 21stories.

Is there any particular reason you expect rental rather than for sale?

300 apartments in only 8-10 stories? I would expect at least twice that many stories. For example: The Sovereign. 290 apts. 21stories.

Is there any particular reason you expect rental rather than for sale?

No reason at all, just a guess.

I guess I was thinking 8-10 because that's what most are, but then again those mid-rises are much more horizontal than a high rise. You're probably right.

What's with all the subforum nazis around here recently? I've seen more people complain about something not belonging in 'going up' in the last 2 weeks that I have in the previous 5 years.

Just press 'new content' button .... Who the hell even searches by sub forum. Annoying as crap.

What's with all the subforum nazis around here recently? I've seen more people complain about something not belonging in 'going up' in the last 2 weeks that I have in the previous 5 years.

Just press 'new content' button .... Who the hell even searches by sub forum. Annoying as crap.

Gee whiz could it be because Houston has seen a surge of activity? Could it also be that I'm way too lazy to do as suggested? Could I also be a hypocrite complaining about your bitching about my bitching?

It's just annoying to me that posters who post useful information and pictures about developments actually going up get lost and don't post when the sub forum is filled with project topics that have a tooth pick for a backbone.

Don't know about you but I have not contributed to this site 99% of the time when I post something. However, I have left skyscrapercity and skyscraperpage because its a penis size contest and city vs. city. Filled with renderings pretending to be actual projects to show off.

So when I see this on my beloved HAIF, it annoys me enough to say something. But I do see your point, so I guess this is kind of pointless.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the site being marketed by Houston First just north of the new Convention Center Hotel.

just north of the Marriott Marquis? that area has been marked as "residential' in the Houston downtown Development Map for a little while. is this the same project? and if so will it only be residential? i know you said the office component may be separate, lockmat.

The Austin project is likely the Planetarium Tower... although I seem to recall it being HOK and not ZC. From ConstructionWire:

Plans call for the construction of a new 47-story, 801,800-square-foot building for the Austin Planetarium with retail and restaurant space, residential units, a museum and technology center and a subterranean parking structure.

Not sure what the Houston project may be.

The Austin project is likely the Planetarium Tower... although I seem to recall it being HOK and not ZC. From ConstructionWire:

Plans call for the construction of a new 47-story, 801,800-square-foot building for the Austin Planetarium with retail and restaurant space, residential units, a museum and technology center and a subterranean parking structure.

Yeah. Pretty sure the planetarium project is HOK. Plus, Lockmat previously clarified that the Austin ZC project is "not that tall". So . . . probably a different project.

The Austin project is likely the Planetarium Tower... although I seem to recall it being HOK and not ZC. From ConstructionWire:Plans call for the construction of a new 47-story, 801,800-square-foot building for the Austin Planetarium with retail and restaurant space, residential units, a museum and technology center and a subterranean parking structure.

Yeah. Pretty sure the planetarium project is HOK. Plus, Lockmat previously clarified that the Austin ZC project is "not that tall". So . . . probably a different project.

And wasn't the planetarium project cancelled?

Also, I was told the Houston one wasn't that tall :/

Plans call for the construction of a new 47-story, 801,800-square-foot building for the Austin Planetarium with retail and restaurant space, residential units, a museum and technology center and a subterranean parking structure.

How recent is that article?

Archived