Uptown Park: Uptown Shopping Center At 1121 Uptown Park Blvd.

Like the other two said, it's usually always like that. That was a great idea to put Uptown Park there because it's always vibrant and really adds to the upscale feel of the Galleria area. The Cafe Express that they have there isn't as good as the others that my wife and I have been to but it's still pretty nice.

UP has never had a problem attracting the crowds, especially thurs-sat night. tasting room, cafe express, champs, uptown sushi, mccormick and schmicks, arturos (was there last night) et al always bring healthy crowds. but if it's seemed unusually crowded since ike, remember that practically all of tanglewood was w/o power until 8 last night :D , and UP has always been popular with the tanglewood crowd.

• 4 years later...

Sure seems like it. I'm glad, I don't like this place.

Per first image below: "the residential component of the future expansion of Uptown Park into a high density mixed use development."

50,000 SF at the NW corner of Uptown Park in Houston. AmREIT is looking to sell the "development rights" in the form of a ground lease to build a high-rise multifamily project while retaining the ground level retail component.

http://www.hfflp.com/GetDocument.aspx?ID=56833&FN=50000+SF+Uptown+Park+Flyer.pdf&DT=1

uptown+park.jpg

uptownpark2.jpg

http://www.hfflp.com/GetDocument.aspx?ID=56833&FN=50000+SF+Uptown+Park+Flyer.pdf&DT=1

• Like 2

I actually like Uptown Park the way it is. Its great that the area is densifying but i wish some of the other more mundane shopping centers along Post Oak would be redeveloped first before Uptown Park. Especially the two huge shopping centers across from each other on Westheimer and Post Oak, and the one across the street from BLVD Place.

Edited by Fortune
  • Like 1

I heard of a prominent highrise developer snatching up acreage / site in the uptown park area w/ others actively looking. In fact all of uptown is ripe w activity - several hotels allegedly in the works, possible redevelopment of Galleria III w highrise components, westpark transit center nearing approval along w/ several mobility upgrades (including the 610/59 interchange, thank god!).

Very exciting.

• Like 7

I heard of a prominent highrise developer snatching up acreage / site in the uptown park area w/ others actively looking. In fact all of uptown is ripe w activity - several hotels allegedly in the works, possible redevelopment of Galleria III w highrise components, westpark transit center nearing approval along w/ several mobility upgrades (including the 610/59 interchange, thank god!).

Very exciting.

Are these some of the things you're talking about? There's a hotel listed that I've never seen.

http://www.houstontx.gov/council/1/bfacommittee/20130507/uptownhouston.pdf

To be honest, I don't know know why Swamplot posted that rendering. The video gives no indication this is the design that will be built. HFF is just marketing the site to a developer, who I would think has the right to decide on the design.

The video also implies something other than a residential tower could be an option.

Swamplot also left out the brochure link, I guess because the video explained most of what it had to say. Except the one thing the video leaves out that I think is most important and exciting is that their plan is to turn the rest of UP into a high-density development. This residential tower is just the first step.

• Like 1

Here is what they say it could potentially look like when totally complete:

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1397807/000089710112001938/amreit124763_ex99-1.htm

img013.jpg

I don't know why the bullet points didn't show up, but here they are. (this is from Nov 2012):

The property currently sits on 17 acres of land with 169,112 square feet of GLA and an annualized base rent per leased 
square foot of $34.09 and is 96.7% leased as of September 30, 2012

We have selected our master plan architect, RTKL, and have established a comprehensive master plan that includes 
multiple phases of potential redevelopment over a five to ten year time period

The first phase of the redevelopment could begin in the next 12 to 15 month

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 3

To be honest, I don't know know why Swamplot posted that rendering. The video gives no indication this is the design that will be built. HFF is just marketing the site to a developer, who I would think has the right to decide on the design.

The video also implies something other than a residential tower could be an option.

Swamplot also left out the brochure link, I guess because the video explained most of what it had to say. Except the one thing the video leaves out that I think is most important and exciting is that their plan is to turn the rest of UP into a high-density development. This residential tower is just the first step.

Yea I agree but they did leave a question mark behind the title suggesting it might be the final plans for it. 

Can we please stop spewing the marketing nonsense about Uptown Park being a European shopping experience?

It's a gussied up strip mall and nothing more. 

That said, it would be nice to see them add a mixed-use residential tower on-site and I think an apartment (rental) tower would be successful.

• Like 1

Can we please stop spewing the marketing nonsense about Uptown Park being a European shopping experience?

It's a gussied up strip mall and nothing more. 

That said, it would be nice to see them add a mixed-use residential tower on-site and I think an apartment (rental) tower would be successful.

Most of my European, and Middle East for that matter, shopping experience is gussied up strip malls with a slightly different format - a strip of stores along a street, but with no parking in front. The lack of parking is a pain. Except for Selfridges and Harrods in London, which are stand alone buildings with a single store in them.

• 4 weeks later...

Here are more interesting proposals.

The Austonian? Sure looks like it but slightly different.

hFP8tZc.png

Here is one that I like the best.

wmZ93Mw.jpg

FTiCirH.jpg

A So and So Design IMO.

E8dg1pD.png

https://vimeo.com/71610193      Fast Forward to 5:25

Edited by TowerSpotter
  • Like 2

Holy cow the building in that that second screen shot is hideous, haha. Nice find, though! I like that they're splitting the property down the middle and creating some pretty good density, though. Hopefully, they make it cozier than these initial plans, though. Some of those renderings looked bulky and uninviting.

They've been marketing this for a while. The first video we found said it would be available in 9 months and this one said 18.

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 1

Lockmat, which building is hideous, the tall blue one or the short brown one.

BTW the ones in the 3rd picture would balance out the Uptown Skyline with the William's Tower.

The blue tall and skinny one. It's not so much the tower portion, but the base makes it look awful imo. I'm sure these are just place holders though.

• Like 1

The blue tall and skinny one. It's not so much the tower portion, but the base makes it look awful imo. I'm sure these are just place holders though.

Agreed, Most of these are not fully designed, so probably who ever wins the bid would have to work more on the design. I'm hoping it's the one with 3rd picture.(high density)

Weird thing, had a dream last night I saw a proposal for the site it was like the 'Austonian except when it got to the top it look like stacked boxs on top each other.(the crown)  :blink:

Edited by TowerSpotter

I would agree that this site is ready to undergo redevelopment away from the suburban strip mall paradigm.  I also think the conceptual renderings for tall buildings here are hideous.  If UP gets more tall residential buildings, my expectation is that they will be more Ziegler Cooper designs.  So far, I'm starting to see their Houston work as being a bit too formulaic.   They also designed The Austonian, which is different from their work here.  Considering that ZC seems to be getting the lion's share of highrise residential design in Houston these days, I hope they'll be given free rein to do something a little different here from what they've done in the past.

I would agree that this site is ready to undergo redevelopment away from the suburban strip mall paradigm.  I also think the conceptual renderings for tall buildings here are hideous.  If UP gets more tall residential buildings, my expectation is that they will be more Ziegler Cooper designs.  So far, I'm starting to see their Houston work as being a bit too formulaic.   They also designed The Austonian, which is different from their work here.  Considering that ZC seems to be getting the lion's share of highrise residential design in Houston these days, I hope they'll be given free rein to do something a little different here from what they've done in the past.

The funny thing is that RTKL designed the one that looks like the Austonian by Zeiglar Cooper. Look at the bottom right logo. I wonder what that means.

• 3 weeks later...

Bisnow also reports that they are "considering" redevelopment for Uptown Park. Also I think they even hinted that a tower would go up at Westheimer and Post Oak.

http://www.bisnow.com/commercial-real-estate/houston/is-this-the-new-face-of-luxury/

Jason and Kenneth say Houston's retail changes will include thedeath of single-floor infill retail in new development. Multifamily development is pushing land prices so high inside the Loop, single-floor retail is no longer the highest and best use, no matter the success of the project. Even Uptown Park is considering a redevelopment (perhaps underground parking?), and Jason wouldn't be surprised to see the center at Westheimer and Post Oakrepositioned vertically with higher density. (Grandma never stops telling you to have better posture, even when you're a building.) Opportunity alert: Sites that size at such a killer intersection are rare.

Edited by TowerSpotter
  • Like 1