102-Story Tower Planned

lockmat

Counting Spires, one of the new Times Square Buildings is taller, and 4 Times Square, as well as NY's new BofA Tower. The Spire was never built in Chicago, so just the Trump Hotel.

I think there is also a skinny super tall residential being built in NYC now... Or maybe it's on hold.

There are many skinny supertalls proposed for NYC. Maybe Houston should also get a skinny supertall so it wouldn't have to cost so much and would have a higher possibility. Hines is developing a skinny supertall in NYC called Tower Verre.

Edit: By the way the Hine's one is to be 82 floors.

DcQgOdi.jpg

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe Houston should also get a skinny supertall so it wouldn't have to cost so much and would have a higher possibility.

Is there really any logical reason to build a skinny supertall in Houston?  I would think that you would only build that way if you had a serious constraint on the amount of land that you could utilize.

Is there really any logical reason to build a skinny supertall in Houston?  I would think that you would only build that way if you had a serious constraint on the amount of land that you could utilize.

In a way we have done a skinny tower but its not considered a "super-tall". The Mercer is a great example, look at the picture below, it has so much room around it but they only built on that small property and yea I know it kind of goes off topic but my point is, what's the problem of building a skinny super-tall if you can do it to a high-rise? nothing at all. Dubai does it all the time with super-talls and high-rises and they did't even have much of a skyline when they started building all those towers. Whether there are any logical reasons to build a skinny super-tall or not, it really comes down to the developer and FAA. Also It doesn't have to take up a small constraint of amount of land, it could have a pedestal on the bottom. Just my opinion though.

post-11442-0-46483500-1374580470_thumb.j

In a way we have done a skinny tower but its not considered a "super-tall". The Mercer is a great example, look at the picture below, it has so much room around it but they only built on that small property and yea I know it kind of goes off topic but my point is, what's the problem of building a skinny super-tall if you can do it to a high-rise? nothing at all. Dubai does it all the time with super-talls and high-rises and they did't even have much of a skyline when they started building all those towers. Whether there are any logical reasons to build a skinny super-tall or not, it really comes down to the developer and FAA. Also It doesn't have to take up a small constraint of amount of land, it could have a pedestal on the bottom. Just my opinion though.

.........not considered "super-tall", but is considered "super-ugly".

are skinny super-tall structures more expensive to engineer/build?  i'm guessing, yes.  if i'm correct, i can't see houston getting one.  i do like that hines rendering posted earlier!  amazing.

.........not considered "super-tall", but is considered "super-ugly".

are skinny super-tall structures more expensive to engineer/build?  i'm guessing, yes.  if i'm correct, i can't see houston getting one.  i do like that hines rendering posted earlier!  amazing.

I agree with you, that building is ugly. Thought about it even more and yea it might be more expensive to build something like that. The challenges they would have to face as they are making it and what not. 

I can't find the link... but wasn't the original plan for the Mercer site to have FOUR identical buildings... which was then scaled back to two... and finally one?

Can't find a rendering of four buildings, but I did find renderings of The Mercer I and II. You can also see in towerspotters post that they had the site cleared for The Mercer II.

52_2.jpg

52_3.jpg

52_4.jpg

This project would have been light years better if they had built all 4 towers, building each set of 2 towers back to back. The front of the building (top photo) is not that bad. The back is hideous. If all 4 towers had built with only the fronts facing outward and the backs facing each other, it might have looked impressive.

Maybe one day they'll start what they finished.

Yep.  Just one looks like a mistake.  A terribile mistake.  From the South, anyway. 

I remember a couple articles in the Chronicle about it when it was built.  "The beigeing of the Houston skyline" or something.  I do agree, however, that four back to back, would make sense.  Pity.

This project would have been light years better if they had built all 4 towers, building the each set of 2 towers back to back. The front of the building (top photo) is not that bad. The back is hideous. If all 4 towers had built with only the fronts facing outward and the backs facing each other, it might have looked impressive.

Maybe one day they'll start what they finished.

I doubt they will make a comeback, they barely made that one alone. 

I can't find the link... but wasn't the original plan for the Mercer site to have FOUR identical buildings... which was then scaled back to two... and finally one?

Nope, just two. Back when the original HAIF was around I lied and told everyone I worked for EDI, when I was only 13 or so.... Just thought I'd be honest, now that I'm somewhat an adult. I also lied to Dalparadise about owning a Townhome on Blossom (It was my dad's). I think we argued about it for an entire page on a topic.

Anyways I said there were originally four planned, which I based that off of an article I had read about possibly doing more projects in the area.

Can you all forgive me?

Nope, just two. Back when the original HAIF was around I lied and told everyone I worked for EDI, when I was only 13 or so.... Just thought I'd be honest, now that I'm somewhat an adult. I also lied to Dalparadise about owning a Townhome on Blossom (It was my dad's). I think we argued about it for an entire page on a topic.

Anyways I said there were originally four planned, which I based that off of an article I had read about possibly doing more projects in the area.

Can you all forgive me?

No

Can anyone draw a 100-story building near minute maid park and the Hilcorp site into the skyline? 

A supertall near minute maid would be awesome of course, but would look kind of strange so far from the other towers.

I gave it my best shot on photoshop.

Edit: Picture of downtown is outdated as you can tell chevron tower is on construction, BG Group Place isn't there as well as One Park Place and Hess Tower 

EjM7SNr.jpg

Totally hoping/speculating, but maybe this is it? ;)

From Bisnow:

Kurt (whose office is designing 7M SF totaling $1B across property types) proved his prowess as a prognosticator. During last year's event, he predicted mixed-use would grow. (Now we call him every day for the weather and the trifecta winners at the horse track.) He was right, but there's been a shift within that sector from horizontal to vertical mixed-use. The facilities are high-rises with product types stacked on top of each other—Ziegler Cooper is designing two of these, one in Houston and one in Austin. The Houston facility will include multifamily, hotel, retail, and office components.

Totally hoping/speculating, but maybe this is it? ;)

From Bisnow:

Kurt (whose office is designing 7M SF totaling $1B across property types) proved his prowess as a prognosticator. During last year's event, he predicted mixed-use would grow. (Now we call him every day for the weather and the trifecta winners at the horse track.) He was right, but there's been a shift within that sector from horizontal to vertical mixed-use. The facilities are high-rises with product types stacked on top of each other—Ziegler Cooper is designing two of these, one in Houston and one in Austin. The Houston facility will include multifamily, hotel, retail, and office components.

Well, they designed the Austonian in downtown Austin so, if there was going to be a mixed-use super tall downtown, ZC would be a qualified firm to do it.

I heard today that a developer attempted to build a 102 story tower in Dallas but got shot down by the DFW airport and now he is planning it for Houston.

Can anyone confirm?

Nativehoustonian said something similar in another thread:

It is s only a rendering. Once completed I believe it will appear very sleek. It seems it may be almost 800 feet high. It is also bringing more jobs to Houston. I think Hines is next at 609 Main St. I have heard that a very tall skyscraper will go up by Minute Maid Park because it is out of HOU airport flight pattern. With the tax abatements a lot of buildings have already been announced. I believe a little boom is coming for downtown. I wonder what Trump is up to?

I found this from 8/2/13. They are proposing an Asian museum in Dallas, but they mention that there was a 100 story skyscraper proposed for that same site in the 1980s.

Back in the 1980s, the prime property was planned for a 100-story office skyscraper.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/commercial-real-estate/headlines/20130801-large-downtown-dallas-site-bought-for-south-asian-museum.ece

Read Dallas Metropolis they know what is going on to Downtown Houston. They are not doing anything in Downtown Dallas because of the Museum Tower (Towering Inferno) fiasco. There are no proposal to build anything for a long time. It's under outside Dallas under Houston is getting another supertall.

Do you have a link? I can't find it.

It is under Dallas Metropolis. Click on their forum, and scroll down to Beyond DFW and you can click Houston is getting another supertall.

http://forum.dallasmetropolis.com/showthread.php/103208-Houston-Supertall-Coming?p=493275#post493275

Is this what you are taking about? All they do is reference this thread.

A very reliable source told me that they are reviving the BotSW Tower. I wonder how many new topics will be started on every skyscraper forum on the Internet?

Sorry, just having a spot of fun. Goodnight.

Read Dallas Metropolis they know what is going on to Downtown Houston. They are not doing anything in Downtown Dallas because of the Museum Tower (Towering Inferno) fiasco. There are no proposal to build anything for a long time. It's under outside Dallas under Houston is getting another supertall.

ROFL. Museum Tower is indeed a fiasco, for any number of reasons. But it has nothing to do with nothing being done in downtown Dallas (which is a bit of an exaggeration).

The occupancy in downtown Dallas is 30 percent. The Elm Place at 628 feet 52 floors has been sitting there empty for years. Their forum, they say is not going to happen as far as building a 50 or 60 floor skyscraper. You need to tell them they are exaggerating not me.

Yes, their occupancy numbers are the primary reason they are not going to be building any 50-60 story buildings.   You originally said they weren't building anything in downtown Dallas becasue of the Museum Tower fiasco.  That is simply not the case.

Please tell me what is under construction in downtown Dallas. please do not include Victory park or Uptown. You should look up the Towering Inferno in Dallas. It is a mess! They don't what to do that building. Nasher should move his sculpture Center here where they are building the addition on the MFA. We have much more museums here then Dallas.

Archived