Como Club At 6219 Grand Blvd. 

roadkingdude

The Teen Hall I remember was on Grand Blvd, several blocks north of Holcombe behind the old Sacred Heart Academy on Holcombe.  My buddies and I went there in the late 50s to see and enjoy my favorite KILT and KNUZ deejays spinning records for the Friday and Saturday night "hops". 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The Teen Hall I remember was on Grand Blvd, several blocks north of Holcombe behind the old Sacred Heart Academy on Holcombe.  My buddies and I went there in the late 50s to see and enjoy my favorite KILT and KNUZ deejays spinning records for the Friday and Saturday night "hops". 

Filio...  My wife lived just off Grand Blvd, between Holcombe and Dixie Dr, in the early-mid 50's when we were dating.  She does not remember a "Teen Hall" in the area at that time.  What we both remember is a private club on Grand Blvd, between Dixie Dr and MacGregor.  If I remember correctly, it was known as the Como Club, or something like that.  It had a swimming pool behind the building.  It may be the same facility that you mention and later became the Teen Hall that you remember from the late 50's.  I guess Paul Berlin (KNUZ) was one of the deejays you saw there.

• Like 1

I think the place you mention did become Teen Hall in the late 50s, because I distinctly remember the DJ's would always give the address on Grand Blvd when they were promoting their upcoming appearances there.

Yes Paul Berlin from KNUZ was one of the DJ's who frequently spun his stacks of wax there. I also remember Arch Yancey from KNUZ,  and Russ "Weird Beard" Knight from KILT. 

• 1 year later...

It was a private club on Grand Blvd, between Dixie Dr and MacGregor.  If I remember correctly, it was known as the Como Club, or something like that.  It had a swimming pool behind the building. It became Teen Hall. My mother and stepfather owned it. Many great bands and artists played there, BJ Thomas, Steve Tyrell, Johnny and Edgar Winters and many others. There was a dance called the "Whip" that we all used to do that was very popular. I got thrown in that pool on my 16th birthday and didn't know how to swim!  Some of the Houston Oilers hung out there after hours.

• 1 year later...

Out in Humble in the late  1950's  and early 1960's we used to go to a "Teen Hall" on E. Mt. Houston> It was maybe 50 cents to get in. The strongest thing they served there was
Coca-Cola and we had never heard of dope or marijuana... although a Schlitz or a Pearl may have been seen in the darkness of the parking lot now and then.
 It was a cool fun place for Humble kids to meet Aldine kids of the opposite sex.........er ugh...er "gender"! (=

Since we're soaking ourselves in these old memories, let us not forget the fun many of us had at the Mason Park Gym on 75th street. They had sock-hops there practically every Saturday night in the late 50s and early 60s with DJs from KNUZ or KILT.  

And now that you mention it Michelle, I think the Mason Park Dances were sponsored by the Civitan Clubs. Not a hundred percent sure of that though.

Edited by FilioScotia
add info

• 5 months later...
On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2013 at 4:17 PM, FilioScotia said:

• 4 years later...
On 7/17/2013 at 9:19 PM, roadkingdude said:

Hi, I am new to the forum.   Does anyone remember the old Teen Hall club.  (swimming pool in the back) What happened to it ? Any info on history. My wife & I used to go in early 60s before we knew each other.   

Yes, my band "Little Jimmy Taylor & The Del-Reys, later known as Rey-Dels played there often. We rotated with others such as The Champagne Bros" B.J. Thomas and The Triumphs" etc.

KILT radio and Bob White disc jockey also would call us to back up "Gene Thomas" when he sang there. Good memories. My name is Don 'Friedsam and I am still playing guitar in a very good band. Our regular every weekend gig for maybe 2 years was Mt. Houston Teen Club (VFW) hall.  

On 4/25/2016 at 10:52 PM, Tommy Brooks said:

Out in Humble in the late  1950's  and early 1960's we used to go to a "Teen Hall" on E. Mt. Houston> It was maybe 50 cents to get in. The strongest thing they served there was
Coca-Cola and we had never heard of dope or marijuana... although a Schlitz or a Pearl may have been seen in the darkness of the parking lot now and then.
 It was a cool fun place for Humble kids to meet Aldine kids of the opposite sex.........er ugh...er "gender"! (=

My band "Little Jimmy Taylor & The Rey-Dels played there almost 2 years or more every Fri & Sat night. We also played Teen Hall and was a back up band for singers like Gene Thomas etc.

• 7 months later...

I went to Jones High and a classmate April Phillips Step Dad owned the place. All the best bands played there:BJ Thomas & Triumps, Champagne Bros., C L & the Pictures.  They turned into a night club called the Green Dragon or the Magic Mushroom. 
Several years back I tried to locate it on Grand Blvd.  It’s very near Fry #288.  It was fenced off but the building is still there. Did the same thing with Van’s Ballroom on …

• The title was changed to Como Club/Teen Hall Club On Grand Blvd.
  • 4 months later...

Como Club was located at 6219 Grand Blvd. 

From the newspaper The Jewish Herald-Voice dated August 9, 1956:

Newcomer or oldtimer, here is your chance to break the ice at the gala get-acquainted party being given by the Beth Yeshuruan Sisterhood, at the Como Club, 6219 Grand (adjacent to the Town and Country Apartments), Tuesday, August 14, 6:30-12 p.m.

oNC8i1b.png

• The title was changed to Como Club At 6219 Grand Blvd. 
  • 7 months later...

Does anyone have old photos of Teen Hall or Club Como in its heyday? There's an old sign that's worn off on the side of the road, can barely read it. I'd love to get a picture of it back when it had a fresh coat of paint. There's a new development, Levitt Green, that's going up adjacent to the old Como Club property. Would be nice to get some history of the site shared before the developers snatch up the land and tear it all down.

• Like 1

@Sgrt Clober Thanks for the post! I never knew about the old sign and went to check it out for myself today.

What exactly does the old sign say? Doesn't look like it says Como Club or Teen Hall.  From my understanding, it says:

Ray Barnett's Yar ?

R (B?) 17 * 7488

Edit: Ray Barnett's Cinnamon Cinder Club At 3249 Dixie Dr.

ap6pX2m.jpg

ViD0XTH.jpg

ClhH7Ln.jpg

42YafIx.jpg

The current home at 6219 Grand is sitting on a very cool parcel of land. It's abutting the Highway 288 freeway, and surrounded by trees.  Usually, if your city home is surrounded by trees that would indicate you are wealthy.  I'm not sure if the current occupants are wealthy though.  I'm sure the parcel is a few acres? It might be worth something!

HA and GE give different aerial photos. HA has a clearer image, but they are marked.

2023:

svVbEJ4.jpg

I circled the building I think was the Teen Hall Club/Como Club/Castaway Club/Ray Barnett's Club.
4 different names for the club, apparently! Looks like Ray Barnett's was the last version?

6ZbQ04R.jpg

1957:
There was a pool? I see an elongated shape that's closer to the street.

YzC2dfZ.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I lived between Brays Bayou and Old Spanish Trail, just east of what is now the Columbia Tap Rail Trail.  Teen Hall, where Roy Head & The Traits, BJ Thomas & the Triumphs, and Sonny & The Sunliners often played, had a swimming pool in back and a large dance floor.  It was located a little west of the Columbia Tap Rail trail, which was a working railroad in the early 1960s.  I went dancing there a lot between 1962 and 1964.  The Whip was the dance of the day.  I suspect that the location may be under the South Freeway or nearby, possibly the location on Grand that others have spoken about.

Edited by Boogaloo Bill
  • Like 2