Downtown Tourism Bus

I initially took this picture a few weeks ago, but I have since seen it as far south as the Museum District.

aa1bd6bb-a153-4c08-928e-2dab73c181bc_zps

How long has this been going on? I've seen the company name on other buses previously, though.

found their website.

According to their website, 90 minute tour of downtown and the museum district. $30 for adults. Six stops.

Convention Center 9:50 AM 11:25 AM 12:45 PM

Market Square Park 10:05 AM 11:40 AM 1:00 PM

Visitors Center 10:20 AM 11:55 AM 1:15PM

Downtown Aquarium 10:30 AM 12:05 PM 1:25 PM

Hermann Park 10:45 AM 12:20 PM 1:40 PM

Museum District 10:55 AM 12:30 PM 1:50 PM

http://www.houstoncitytours.us/tours-attractions/houston-city-tour/

Look at that excitement! Corporate office towers! Such beauty! 

No seriously, I dont understand why anyone would pay 30 dollars for this. 

Nor can I, but whatever.

There does seem to be a higher concentration of map and camera carrying tourists DT lately. Couldn't really figure out why.

Nor can I, but whatever.

There does seem to be a higher concentration of map and camera carrying tourists DT lately. Couldn't really figure out why.

Could be because Houston has been making the magazine covers and tops of lists of places to be, work, see, eat, etc.

We're number 7 on the NYT list of places worldwide to see in 2013.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/01/10/travel/2013-places-to-go.html?_r=0

Could be because Houston has been making the magazine covers and tops of lists of places to be, work, see, eat, etc.

We're number 7 on the NYT list of places worldwide to see in 2013.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/01/10/travel/2013-places-to-go.html?_r=0

I like it here, I'm certainly not in the "why can't we have subways and be just like NYC" crowd.

DT just doesn't strike me as much of a destination. I guess the buildings are cool, and the tunnels kind of novel, but there's not a lot to do in DT proper in the middle of a weekday.

Maybe I'm being narrow minded about it. I have absolutely no problem with tourists being here. I like walking around downtown areas when I'm in a new city, but I don't think I'd go there to do it.

...but there's not a lot to do in DT proper in the middle of a weekday...

Depending on the season, you can go see a baseball/basketball game, see a concert at one of the three main venues for national touring musicians, see a popular broadway show on its stop in town, see a play at the Alley, spend some time with the family (if you have one) at discovery green or market square, have dinner/drinks at one of the new restaurants or any of them, see a movie in our nice theater.

I am sure there are more things that I am missing, these were just off the top of my head.

I like it here, I'm certainly not in the "why can't we have subways and be just like "NYC" crowd.

DT just doesn't strike me as much of a destination. I guess the buildings are cool, and the tunnels kind of novel, but there's not a lot to do in DT proper in the middle of a weekday.

Maybe I'm being narrow minded about it. I have absolutely no problem with tourists being here. I like walking around downtown areas when I'm in a new city, but I don't think I'd go there to do it.

I agree. Not to dis folks who like big towers, but most of the best of Houston is not downtown, though I really do like spending time at Hermann Park. Houston isn't really laid out for 90 minute tours, though, so I guess they're doing the best they can. I don't know what route they use to get from downtown to the museum district but they might try running it through Montrose at least.

Depending on the season, you can go see a baseball/basketball game, see a concert at one of the three main venues for national touring musicians, see a popular broadway show on its stop in town, see a play at the Alley, spend some time with the family (if you have one) at discovery green or market square, have dinner/drinks at one of the new restaurants or any of them, see a movie in our nice theater.

I am sure there are more things that I am missing, these were just off the top of my head.

No doubt there's plenty to do in downtown, but if you're on a tour bus you're just going to be driving by. Hopefully, though, the tour guides are pointing some of that out so tourists can check it out later on their own.

Maybe I am different from most of the people on here, but when i go out of town to a different city and am a tourist there, I usually go and stay in their downtown. I find that that is where you are able to get the best example of what the city is like.

I would hate the thought of going to Washington DC only to stay in Laurel, MD or go to Indianapolis, IN only to stay in Anderson, IN.

Maybe I am different from most of the people on here, but when i go out of town to a different city and am a tourist there, I usually go and stay in their downtown. I find that that is where you are able to get the best example of what the city is like.I would hate the thought of going to Washington DC only to stay in Laurel, MD or go to Indianapolis, IN only to stay in Anderson, IN.

Downtown is probably a safe bet in most cities if you don't know much about them going in. Whenever I travel I try to look at some local newspapers/blogs/reviews online to get a feel for some places I might want to visit and plan my trip accordingly.

If you are staying DT, I agree.

I guess I was thinking more about the folks I just saw today walking around with their maps. Maybe they're doing stuff this weekend/tonight and just killing time.

Nor can I, but whatever.

Don't forget that the city is "putting their money where their mouth is" in trying to transform downtown to an entirely different place.  They have begged for more hotels and apartments which are essential ingredients in developing synergy. With the increased "24-7" people who now will be downtown you will get secondary supporting pieces like more retail, restaurants, parks, tourism centers, and yes a tourism bus.......the market is just following what is needed.

Someone from Cleveland who is here for a 3 day convention and it is their very first time in Houston may have little reservation about spending $30 to educate themselves about Houston. So, at least they have an idea about "Houston" when they return. These type of tour buses should be supported....Let's hope they continue to be viable and increase after all of the new hotels are built.

Most people are saying that this doesn't seem interesting, and I agree, "tourist" to Houston with no other purpose for being here is probably better off renting a car.

But if I'm already in town for a week-long Convention, this seems like a worthwhile way to part me from $30 of my Convention cash. And it's a great "day one" activity just to get a general layout of the areas near my hotel if I'm staying Downtown. Sure I'll still probably want to go to the Galleria, but it's good to know what museums I want to visit, and maybe (hopefully) learn that Houston has two free observation decks.

This is a good idea. I'm glad the city is trying it.

What lens would that be?

I've been eyeing the tamron 10-24mm.

Don't have the magazine in front of me, but also looking at something from sigma that has something similar.

what do you shoot? APS-C or full frame? When I was APS-C I really enjoyed the Sigma 10-20/f3.5 EX DC HSM ($649.99).

Most people are saying that this doesn't seem interesting, and I agree, "tourist" to Houston with no other purpose for being here is probably better off renting a car.

But if I'm already in town for a week-long Convention, this seems like a worthwhile way to part me from $30 of my Convention cash. And it's a great "day one" activity just to get a general layout of the areas near my hotel if I'm staying Downtown. Sure I'll still probably want to go to the Galleria, but it's good to know what museums I want to visit, and maybe (hopefully) learn that Houston has two free observation decks.

This is a good idea. I'm glad the city is trying it.

is the observation deck in Williams Tower not free? or were you just referring to the downtown area?

what do you shoot? APS-C or full frame? When I was APS-C I really enjoyed the Sigma 10-20/f3.5 EX DC HSM ($649.99).

I shoot APS with my humble little Sony 55. I'm leaning towards the sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6, but I'm waffling again.  I'd like a faster lens at night, but not willing to pay more then $500 for a lens.

Then again, I still have 2 or three more lenses to buy before I think my collection is complete. 

I shoot APS with my humble little Sony 55. I'm leaning towards the sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6, but I'm waffling again. I'd like a faster lens at night, but not willing to pay more then $500 for a lens.

Then again, I still have 2 or three more lenses to buy before I think my collection is complete.

Ah, your a Sony shooter as well. Nice! When I had the A700's I bought the 10-20/4-5.6 but eventually got the 3.5. After the upgrade I would say I liked the 3.5 much better. Plus a little brighter framing subject matter up at night. It's a shame I didn't know you we're a Sony shooter. I sold 1 A700, one A77 kit, my 10-20/f3.5 and 10fish. When the weather cools down we will have to do some shooting around town!

Archived