• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm so sorry for seemingly spamming this thread but this is my industry area (which I'm obsessively passionate about) and I think I'm bringing new information in each time. Let me know if I should pos

Just want to make sure everyone understands the gravity (pun intended) of this. There are three space stations (realistically) under development in the world. China's space station, the lunar gateway,

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/space/article/Houston-Spaceport-announces-Collins-Aerospace-as-16188126.php This is huge! Collins Aerospace will be building a manufacturing an

Posted Images

Under the agreement, which has yet to be approved, the city of Houston will pay up to $40 million for the facility to be built. The city will recover its investment through a 20-year lease agreement, officials said.

Why in hell is the city spending $40mil when this company could easily go out and bank finance the job themselves (or get a developer involved)?  I wasn't aware that our tax dollars are being used to fund commercial development....

• Like 3
6 hours ago, tangledwoods said:

Why in hell is the city spending $40mil when this company could easily go out and bank finance the job themselves (or get a developer involved)?  I wasn't aware that our tax dollars are being used to fund commercial development....

Corporate welfare, the only welfare in America that's not demonized. 

• Like 2
11 hours ago, jmitch94 said:

Corporate welfare, the only welfare in America that's not demonized. 

Your post and the prior one rather step on your point.  ;-)

In any event, it's a little short of "welfare" to lease a building out to someone at a price that will fully repay the costs (and at the end of the lease, the City still owns the land and the building).

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 3
On 6/11/2021 at 9:21 AM, Houston19514 said:

Your post and the prior one rather step on your point.  ;-)

In any event, it's a little short of "welfare" to lease a building out to someone at a price that will fully repay the costs (and at the end of the lease, the City still owns the land and the building).

That’s assuming they stay in business and or hold up their end of the deal or even worse, aren’t granted more tax brakes in the future. 

• Like 1