How Tall Will Hines Next Tower Be?

How Tall Will Hines' New Tower Grow?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. How many floors will Hines' new building have ultimately?

• 41-49
    • 50-59
    • 60-69
    • 70-79
    • 80-89
    • 90-99
    • 100+

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats what I was thinking. Why can't Houston build anything that tall when cities all over the world and here in the USA that are not doing as great as Houston are building them? Something needs to change look of the Houston skyline, its looked pretty much the same my whole life!

Not exactly a compelling reason to build a signature tower. I don't think that Houston is going to get a tower like that anytime soon because of public perception. The only potential tenants for that kind of building in Houston are oil companies. Oil companies don't want to engage in that kind of conspicuous spending because of the amount of discussion that it would start about their profits. Look at what Chevron is doing, they are building inexpensive and cheap. It's all about staying under the radar.

Not exactly a compelling reason to build a signature tower. I don't think that Houston is going to get a tower like that anytime soon because of public perception. The only potential tenants for that kind of building in Houston are oil companies. Oil companies don't want to engage in that kind of conspicuous spending because of the amount of discussion that it would start about their profits. Look at what Chevron is doing, they are building inexpensive and cheap. It's all about staying under the radar.

I could see a foreign company doing it.  Remember Deyaar's expensive dirt in uptown?  Look who's the name tenant on Hines' last skyscraper -- BG Gas, a foreign company.  There are many companies in the Middle East and Asia that would likely enjoy the publicity of a tall skyscraper in downtown Houston....Koreans, Qataris, Emiratis perhaps? 

I could see a foreign company doing it.  Remember Deyaar's expensive dirt in uptown?  Look who's the name tenant on Hines' last skyscraper -- BG Gas, a foreign company.  There are many companies in the Middle East and Asia that would likely enjoy the publicity of a tall skyscraper in downtown Houston....Koreans, Qataris, Emiratis perhaps? 

Good point.  I would agree that best candidate is probably a company from a developing region that is looking to make a statement in the energy industry.

i totally agree with the possibility of the next supertall coming from a foreign company. its strange, but in a way fitting for Houston.. what other big name energy companies are out there? i know many of the large foreign companies are government owned, im not sure how that would effect them building a tower in another country. the middle east is a safe bet to assume, but there are loads of potential in the south american oil fields and asian gas fields so who knows.

Well I guess even my office could be considered Class AA, because we have a gym (with personal trainer, sauana, showers, etc.), and a cafeteria, yet the building is dated and looks like crap. But I guess you can't find anything better in a 10 mile radius.

I spoke with a guy who is a structural engineer on this project, he did not disclose the height but did tell me the building will be 52 stories. 

this is after the redesign? the building was already close to 52 stories with the crown. im hoping they keep the crown empty and dont decide to build floors up into it. i want this sucker to be tall!  :P 52 stories is a 25% increase from the 41 stories, meaning if they proportionally increase the height of the crown (as someone else pointed out on page 1 i believe), the crown should be 12 stories, meaning this will be a 64 story building..? that would be fantastic. downtown needs a ~900 footer to fill in the void between 800' and 1000'.

can someone photoshop this picture to make a 900' Hines tower instead of the 41 story version thats shown? IMO the new Chevron tower is a little short too since its more like 58 floors.

DtownSkyline_zpsfc4a0b55.jpg

Is the chevron tower confirmed at 58? I thought it was more like 50

If the renderings are anything to go by, it's 58 floors tall.. There's a large rendering somewhere where it's pretty easy to count the floors. 50 floors in the tower (with 2 double high floors, one at the top one at the bottom) and the podium it's standing on is 3 double stories tall, so that would put it at 58 stories.

Is that another Essex rendering implanted into this picture than the previous Head and Shoulders shampoo bottle looking one?

im not sure. i took the picture from the Potential/Future(?) Skyline thread in another section of the forum. he didnt specify what tower it was, just said it was "a filler" for the International tower, though someones saying it will supposably only be 41 stories now. 

on second thought with the whole crown proportions theory, im not sure i see them increasing the crown an additional 25%, because they arent increasing the width of the tower any so it would effect/increase the slope of the roof line. so if they dont increase the crown this tower would be approx 61 stories to the top. probably not quite 900' but id say 850' is a safe estimate. anyone good at photoshop? this tower should stand out nicely from all angles.

Spoiler:

49 floors with two levels of parking below grade.  683' 11" to level 49, to the top of the crown it is 756' 9", and from the roof to the top of the crown it is 59' 11".

Highlight to see text.  I tried a few spoiler codes but couldn't get them to work.

Spoiler:

49 floors with two levels of parking below grade.  683' 11" to level 49, to the top of the crown it is 756' 9", and from the roof to the top of the crown it is 59' 11".

Highlight to see text.  I tried a few spoiler codes but couldn't get them to work.

where did you get this information if you dont mind me asking? it seems almost too specific..

and if thats the case, 8 more stories is what they consider "texas sizing"? the crown was originally about the equivelant of 9 stories, which would not be less than 60'.. im hoping this is wrong and they didnt shorten the crown. or we just overestimated the original height of the crown(even though it showed 9 more rows of facade) and they didnt lessen the angle of the roof.

well if thats true then darn.. i was hoping we were going to get something taller (lol, we should be happy Houston is finally building tall again). but i guess theres always hope for the Chevron tower to be taller, assuming its going to be about the height of a 58 story building (should break 800' if thats the case).

this building will be the 9th tallest in Texas if your info is correct. i guess thats something to be happy about, even though it doesnt knock any Dallas buildings out of the rankings (lol, it actually knocks another Houston tower out unfortunately)

here are the plans showing the "9 story" crown on the 41 story version.

hr_plan.png

Spoiler:

49 floors with two levels of parking below grade. 683' 11" to level 49, to the top of the crown it is 756' 9", and from the roof to the top of the crown it is 59' 11".

Highlight to see text. I tried a few spoiler codes but couldn't get them to work.

where did you get this information if you dont mind me asking? it seems almost too specific..

and if thats the case, 8 more stories is what they consider "texas sizing"? the crown was originally about the equivelant of 9 stories, which would not be less than 60'.. im hoping this is wrong and they didnt shorten the crown. or we just overestimated the original height of the crown(even though it showed 9 more rows of facade) and they didnt lessen the angle of the roof.

well if thats true then darn.. i was hoping we were going to get something taller (lol, we should be happy Houston is finally building tall again). but i guess theres always hope for the Chevron tower to be taller, assuming its going to be about the height of a 58 story building (should break 800' if thats the case).

this building will be the 9th tallest in Texas if your info is correct. i guess thats something to be happy about, even though it doesnt knock any Dallas buildings out of the rankings (lol, it actually knocks another Houston tower out unfortunately)

here are the plans showing the "9 story" crown on the 41 story version.

Keep in mind that it was the CultureMap headline writer, and not Hines, who called it "Texas sizing".

Archived