Underwood & Ezell Drive-In Theaters

Ashikaga

In my research on "Drive-Ins.Com," I found out that many of the now closed-down drive in theatres in Texas were owned by C.C. Ezell & Underwood. The one that I've been trying to find information about for at least the past six months (the Winkler Drive-In Theatre in Houston) was owned by that firm.

Does anyone out there know anything about what might have happened to C.C. Ezell & Underwood? My Google search turned up nothing.

Chet Cuccia

It might be listed the other way around: Underwood & C.C. Ezell. I don't know for sure. It was one way or the other.

• 3 weeks later...
In my research on "Drive-Ins.Com," I found out that many of the now closed-down drive in theatres in Texas were owned by C.C. Ezell & Underwood.  The one that I've been trying to find information about for at least the past six months (the Winkler Drive-In Theatre in Houston) was owned by that firm.

Does anyone out there know anything about what might have happened to C.C. Ezell & Underwood?  My Google search turned up nothing.

Chet Cuccia

It might be listed the other way around:  Underwood & C.C. Ezell.  I don't know for sure.  It was one way or the other.

I wonder if the Houston Chamber of Commerce would have any information about C.C. Ezell & Underwood. Does anyone out there know if HCC has a website?

About Underwood:

Another sonic system, developed by W.G. Underwood, who co-owned a string of ozoners in Texas, went by the name of Sound in the Ground. In this case, patrons pulled their car over a speaker planted in the earth. A metal grate, much like a manhole cover, protected the speaker, which rumbled the sound up through the floorboards.

From here.

Another link that notes they used circus themes on many of their theaters.

About Underwood:

From here.

Another link that notes they used circus themes on many of their theaters.

Thanks. Randy Welborn is in Beaumont. He's a good artist. That aerial photo that you posted of Gulfgate is probably the only one I'll ever see of the Winkler Drive-In Theatre (you can see it at the top of the photo; the very back of the theatre is at IH-45).

But thanks to your photo, at least I know that the Winkler did indeed exist. Maybe someday I'll stumble across someone who has a photo of it.

• 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to Underwood & Ezell Drive-In Theaters

Archived