Downtown Skyline Update

DaTrain

Well, because apparently I have the free time to do it....tonight I started modeling downtown in Sketchup so that when new towers and the like are proposed we can get a pretty accurate feel on how they will look from multiple angles.  I'm trying to make it as true as possible so it may take awhile but expect updates on this.  Also, this is using fairly realistic textures not just massing.

**Update: this is going to be quite an undertaking as there are not many towers modeled in the 3d Warehouse...time will tell haha

How's this coming along? :)

• Like 3

How's this coming along? :)

...Yeah, about that...  :(

Work has been keeping me from updating that unfortunately.  Also, the lack of drop-in ready buildings reallllyy slows things down.  I'll try to keep plugging away but unfortunately busy season is just around the corner.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/2/2013 at 10:24 AM, brijonmang said:

Well done Channel2...I was going to do something similar but it looks like you covered it for me.

Here is a before and after shot using one of the photos cloud713 provided.  

http://s7.photobucket.com/user/brijonmang/media/Dtownbefore_zps176f9fba.jpg.html'>Dtownbefore_zps176f9fba.jpg

http://s7.photobucket.com/user/brijonmang/media/DtownSkyline2_zps30b547b0.jpg.html'>DtownSkyline2_zps30b547b0.jpg

The perspectives don't exactly line up correctly and I had to try and compensate despite buildings being flipped around but hopefully this gives another idea to the possibility for the future.

Someone took a recent shot from the same spot. No International Tower, 5AC, or Texaco expansion yet, but the others are joining the crowd. :)

26604941190_8aebd14ed2_h.jpgIMG_6168 by George Zimzores, on Flickr

• Like 5

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
46 minutes ago, Triton said:

I don't know... I actually kind of dislike this view of Houston. Terrible description but it just looks old, boxy, and boring.

I quite like it, looks quite dense.  It would be better if is was taken later in the year from that angle. There's a lot of brown trees due to the time of year it was taken!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, HoustonSpurs said:

There's a lot of brown trees due to the time of year it was taken!

Yea, definitely looks dense. That could be it too about the time of year. Just looks dreary... brown and gray. Although there's tons of more modern glass structures in this pic, it just screams 70s box buildings to me.

• Like 1