U-Tote-Um Grocery/Convenience Stores

Ashikaga

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Another U-tote-M picture. Or did you mean the only U-tote-M in existence?

I meant the photo, that's why I put possibly. That is a great shot by the way, I am glad there is another shot. I am sure the U-tote-M in the Copolla movie is long gone also. That shot is EXACTLY how I remember mine though. Maroon and yellow checkered tiles, Neon sign, robber fleeing the store............

Wow, we've all lived the same life!

I tended to frequent the 7-11 store that was near our house in Baytown, but we occasionally went to the U-tote-um up by the Lakewood Pharmacy -- and yes, I do remember the totem pole signs they used to have. That pic of Matt Dillon in front of one is a jarringly exact shot of what they once looked like.

The U-Tote-Em "regular" was Dr. Pepper and a moon pie with a Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos comic book thrown in.

Does anyone remember the "Baby Giant" stores in Pasadena/Deer Park? Weird name.

As for the Thunderbird call, I am too young to remember that, but we used to listen to ZZ Top's song "Thunderbird" and call out, 'what's the word?' to which we'd inevitably respond with an enthusiastic THUNDERBIRD!

My family loved the U-tote-em stores. We moved to Houston from Chicago and seeing these great convenience stores with the open doors, even in winter, was such a treat. This was back in the 60s.

Wow, we've all lived the same life!

I tended to frequent the 7-11 store that was near our house in Baytown, but we occasionally went to the U-tote-um up by the Lakewood Pharmacy -- and yes, I do remember the totem pole signs they used to have. That pic of Matt Dillon in front of one is a jarringly exact shot of what they once looked like.

The U-Tote-Em "regular" was Dr. Pepper and a moon pie with a Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos comic book thrown in.

Does anyone remember the "Baby Giant" stores in Pasadena/Deer Park? Weird name.

As for the Thunderbird call, I am too young to remember that, but we used to listen to ZZ Top's song "Thunderbird" and call out, 'what's the word?' to which we'd inevitably respond with an enthusiastic THUNDERBIRD!

Retama, we have/had something a little unique to Baytown, those Jones 7-11s around town remeber those? I remember the U-Tote-M on Bayway Dr. also. My grandmother's house is in Lakewood. For those who may have seen the segment on the news about a month ago where the car ran off the road and into the Baytown Little Theater, the U-tote-M is right in front of it.

Retama, we have/had something a little unique to Baytown, those Jones 7-11s around town remeber those?

Yes, TJones, I remember them well. A friend of mine who still lives in Baytown told me that the last two (the one in Cedar Bayou and the one on Ward Road) have now closed, both within the year. I used to go to school with kids from the family that managed those stores.

I just stumbled onto this site while looking up some information on my Jr High and High Schools, Mo. City Jr. High and Willowridge High School. I live in Phoenix now, but my mom (currently living in Spring) has turned up the volume on her "you just need to get your fanny back home where you belong" song lately and has had me thinking a lot about....home. I'm glued to this site now and getting dizzy from all the memories rushing back...lol.

Wow, I never imagined that a convenience store flashback would bring back so many memories! "My" UToteM was at the entrance to my neighborhood, next door to the fire station, on FM 2234 in Missouri City. I don't remember the name of the cross street, but it was in a small shopping strip at the entrance to Hunters Glen, sections I & II. I lived in section II, or the back half of the subdivision, and did a lot of walking from my house to that shopping strip for any reason, but the destination was usually the UTotem for Dr. Pepper, candy or Doritos.

I was still living in Houston when all the convenience stores suddenly became Circle K's, and was thrilled to find that there are still several 7-11's in Phoenix. I couldn't wait to go to one when I first got here and everyone thought I was completely insane........or just seriously easy to please! LOL, anyway, sorry to ramble on, but it was fun :D Now I'm gonna go do TONS more reading/reminiscing :)

Wow, I never imagined that a convenience store flashback would bring back so many memories!

I was born and raised in Houston (1954-1993) and moved up to the NYC area 14 years ago. Strangely they have 7-11 and Gulf Gasoline up here. Gulf was the station I used for my little Honda 90 motorcycle and later Gulf was the first credit card I ever got. Seems weird to have Houston memories in the tri-state area.

i remember them. there was one on studewood in the heights.
I remember that U-tote-em! I used to shop there as a kid! They had a great magazine rack...a great rack...lol!!! I used to buy monster magazines and comic books there back in the 70's. :wacko::lol: I also remember the main office for all the stores used to be over where the big bridal store on 610 W near Bellaire Blvd. The building is still there. It used to have a huge totem pole on it...
Wow, we've all lived the same life!I tended to frequent the 7-11 store that was near our house in Baytown, but we occasionally went to the U-tote-um up by the Lakewood Pharmacy -- and yes, I do remember the totem pole signs they used to have. That pic of Matt Dillon in front of one is a jarringly exact shot of what they once looked like.The U-Tote-Em "regular" was Dr. Pepper and a moon pie with a Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos comic book thrown in.Does anyone remember the "Baby Giant" stores in Pasadena/Deer Park? Weird name.As for the Thunderbird call, I am too young to remember that, but we used to listen to ZZ Top's song "Thunderbird" and call out, 'what's the word?' to which we'd inevitably respond with an enthusiastic THUNDERBIRD!
Heh, yeah, I remember Baby Giant! Do you remember Sunny's?
I meant the photo, that's why I put possibly. That is a great shot by the way, I am glad there is another shot. I am sure the U-tote-M in the Copolla movie is long gone also. That shot is EXACTLY how I remember mine though. Maroon and yellow checkered tiles, Neon sign, robber fleeing the store............
"Robber fleeing the store..." BWAHAHAHAAHA!!!!I used to call Stop N Go, Stop N Rob... :lol:

Yeah, I remember Sunny's too. We had friends in Pasadena and used to drive over there for the day in the summer.

Until about 5 years ago, there was a Sunny's on Alief-Clodine near Hwy. 6. It was demolished to make room for the Westpark Tollway underpass.

Until about 5 years ago, there was a Sunny's on Alief-Clodine near Hwy. 6. It was demolished to make room for the Westpark Tollway underpass.

Yep, but never fear cowboy, there is still a Sunny's next to Fajita Flats on Fondren just off Westheimer if anyone needs to feel nostalgic.

• 3 months later...
I remember that U-tote-em! I used to shop there as a kid! They had a great magazine rack...a great rack...lol!!! I used to buy monster magazines and comic books there back in the 70's. :wacko::lol: I also remember the main office for all the stores used to be over where the big bridal store on 610 W near Bellaire Blvd. The building is still there. It used to have a huge totem pole on it...Heh, yeah, I remember Baby Giant! Do you remember Sunny's?"Robber fleeing the store..." BWAHAHAHAAHA!!!!I used to call Stop N Go, Stop N Rob... :lol:

There was a U-Tote-Um on Bissonnet near Ashby, as well as a Baby Giant on the corner of Greenbriar and Bissonnet. When I was in high school we used the terms "U-Cheat-Um" and "U-Scrotum" interchangeably.

The U-Tote-Um on Bissonnet was a life saver during the immediate aftermath of Hurricane Alicia - it was the only place still with power, and more importantly, cold beer!

As for odd names, in Amarillo there is a chain called the "Toot-N-Totum" - my brother-in-law refers to it as the "Fart-N-Carry".

Now I've just remembered something else from my days in Houston over 40 years ago. I recall us stopping by a convenience store chain called "U-Tote-Um." The sign was an indian totem pole. Does anyone else out there remember those stores?

Are there any popular chain convenience stores over there in Houston? If there are, what are their names? There are some Racetrac's over here. I looked up their website. It said that there are also some over in the Houston area. I saw an article in the Houston Chronicle that said that the Diamond Shamock stores in Houston are changing their names to Valero. I don't know if the ones over here will do that or not. When I last saw them, they were still Diamond Shamrock.

Chet Cuccia

u-tote-um....there was one by my house in freeway manor on edgebrook and old galveston. for awhile there it was u-tote-um for convenience and weingarten's for groceries. on sundays there was a mexican couple that sold tamales out of a cart in the parking lot. during the late 60's u-tote-um got big enough, with citywide outlets, that they advertised on television, usually channel 69. stop n' go opened up around then and the u-tote-um went to seed and disappeared around '72 as i remember. i have remembered the name because of the totem pole signs.

My brother in law was a Bellaire Policeman and did a lot of work for Mr. Melcher. He occasionally acted as a secret shopper to make sure the U-Totem people rang up their sales correctly and he often followed the cash pick up car from store to store. The money went through a slot into the trunk of the car and the trunk lid was welded closed.

I have a great picture of what I believe may be the first U-Totem. It's poster sized , about 14"x24". Written on the back in pencil it says #1. My $59.95 scanner can't handle it. I took a photo of it but can't figure out how to post it. If any one wants to post it, I'll email it to them. Let me know.

My brother in law was a Bellaire Policeman and did a lot of work for Mr. Melcher. He occasionally acted as a secret shopper to make sure the U-Totem people rang up their sales correctly and he often followed the cash pick up car from store to store. The money went through a slot into the trunk of the car and the trunk lid was welded closed.

I have a great picture of what I believe may be the first U-Totem. It's poster sized , about 14"x24". Written on the back in pencil it says #1. My $59.95 scanner can't handle it. I took a photo of it but can't figure out how to post it. If any one wants to post it, I'll email it to them. Let me know.

In the movie "Scent of a Woman," Al Pacino spoke derisively of convenience stores as places that "sell nachos to hayseeds."

Okay, this is a dumb question, but with the trunk lid welded closed, how did they retrieve the cash from the car? Via the back seats, if you could access the trunk from there?

I don't know how they accessed the money. Maybe through a locking hole in the trunk floor? What I do remember was that this was early 1970's and the used a plane jane Chevy Nova for the cash car. Trust me on this - if there was an easy way to get the money out, my brother in law would have found it.

• 4 months later...

As the TV Radio commercial said "You Tellum, U-Tote-M"

Yes, I remember U-Tote-M and the "Toot n Tellum" or Toot & Tellum near or on Bellaire, possible near Prince's hamburgers, which had the talking plywood animals on the fence, not the side of Bellaire that had A&W Rootbeer, but the side coming from the medical center. I recall getting pinched when my brother and I couldn't stop laughing about the "toot" part of the name.

The U-Tote-Um in my neighborhoos was on the corner of Mandell and Richmond. There was also a 7-11 in a tiny strip center on the corner of Graustark and Castle Court. Before we had our own washer, I would go with my mom to the washateria on the other end and get an Icee. I didn't like the texture of Slurpees when they made the switch as much, but the flavor names were better. My favorite was "Fulla Bulla". :lol:

I lived just a couple of blocks from the one on Mandell at Richmond--where Cafe Artiste is now. For years I called any and all convenience store U-Tote-um's. When I moved to the San Antonio area I was amazed to learn that San Antonians called U-Tote-um's ice houses.

Archived