Gordy & Sons Outfitters At 22 Waugh Dr.

houstonfella

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

lg_22_waugh_.jpg

Twenty-Two Waugh is being designed to be in a state-of-the-art, Class AA office building with direct access to major streets and freeways, as well as proximity to Downtown Houston and many of Houston’s finest residential neighborhoods. In addition to on-site retail, the 221,425-square-foot building is within walking distance of a lively dining and shopping district.

The podium-structured, 25-story building will provide unobstructed, 360-degree views of Houston’s central business district, the Galleria, Buffalo Bayou and Memorial Park, creating an ideal office environment on every floor. A roof-top terrace on top of the parking garage will be available to all tenants. The project is planned to meet LEED certification.

lg_22_waugh_2.jpg

lg_22_waugh_3.jpg

http://pagethink.com/v/project-detail/Twenty-Two-Waugh/6n/

Uhh.... why is it inappropriate? There are several other office towers right next to this.. In fact, my stepmom works in one right next to this that was built in the 80s. 

Edit: Right next to this is 12-story 55 Waugh and then a much small office building called 100 Waugh.

That's kinda the point.  The largest building in the area, by far, is 12 stories.   Everything else in the Waugh/Washington area is low-rise. This proposal is 25 stories.  FWIW, I'm not crazy about Hines' San Felipe proposal either, but it is less inappropriate than this one.

For the record, Triton apparently has a different definition of "next to" than I do.  According to Google maps, right next to this site (to the south) is a community of townhouses, not a 12-story building.  Next to the community of townhouses is the 2-story United Way headquarters.  The 12 story building is across Waugh from the United Way HQ.

Should we file a nuisance suit against the developer? C'mon, this site is along a six-lane thoroughfare within a half mile of two major controlled access parkways.

MTY03j2.gif

Too often, threads turn into a non-ironic "2/10, Would Not Build" competition.

Let's be thankful that we're in Houston and there are so many building projects throughout town, compared to pretty much any other place in the country.

That's kinda the point.  The largest building in the area, by far, is 12 stories.   Everything else in the Waugh/Washington area is low-rise. This proposal is 25 stories.  FWIW, I'm not crazy about Hines' San Felipe proposal either, but it is less inappropriate than this one.

For the record, Triton apparently has a different definition of "next to" than I do.  According to Google maps, right next to this site (to the south) is a community of townhouses, not a 12-story building.  Next to the community of townhouses is the 2-story United Way headquarters.  The 12 story building is across Waugh from the United Way HQ.

It's all about context. I'm guessing you don't even live in this area so you don't know what this area truly looks like from the ground.

I guess we need to tear down Memorial by Windsor because it is sooooo out of place next to the other townhomes. I think you need to look at the area again and stop judging this tower based off the renderings because, first off, the renderings purposely take out even the minor things such as all the powerlines along Washington. They also scrub out 55 Waugh. It's not that out of place.

Again, you need to go to Google Maps again and look at this area in context.

You want to talk about inappropriate? What about the America Tower right down the road! Wow.

I don't mind the building itself or even the location, but the chaos that is washington is doomed for failure.

It takes no zoning to new heights.  Parking lots, garden apts, office building, strip mall, body shop...

I really wish some developer would take Washington near downtown and build off of market square outwards...not just a bunch on BS scattered on a 2 ish mile stretch.

It's like an old man in the middle a bunch of cool college kids. It does seem a little out of place.

Its the light tan and light blue colors, IMO. I don't know, I like this one, but something about it just screams "I'M FROM 1995!"

Its the light tan and light blue colors, IMO. I don't know, I like this one, but something about it just screams "I'M FROM 1995!"

Haha! I don't know what your're talking about but that tower is state of the art. It will become the crown jewel of Houston architecture in the new millennium, literally taking the crown away from the Memorial City Memorial Hermann.

I guess we need to tear down Memorial by Windsor because it is sooooo out of place next to the other townhomes. I think you need to look at the area again and stop judging this tower based off the renderings because, first off, the renderings purposely take out even the minor things such as all the powerlines along Washington. They also scrub out 55 Waugh. It's not that out of place.

Of course you know very well nobody suggested tearing anything down or, for that matter, even blocking construction.

I have looked at the area in person (even though I don't live in the immediate neighborhood I am allowed and able to do that).

I know very well that it is all about context and I don't think this building fits in the context of Washington Ave ... at all.  I recognize you disagree.  That's totally cool.  C'est la vie.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Archived