Fortune

"Alliance Residential Co. is planning to develop a five-story, 207-unit apartment complex south of downtown for the block bounded by Bell, Leeland, Main and Fannin. EDI International is the architectural firm."

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Houston-s-apartment-boom-focuses-on-urban-scene-4619878.php?t=445cfc44ffb05374ef

rawImage.jpg

centerpiecewide.jpg

Its funny when they put out renderings of a tower they often show different angles including other buildings so you get an idea of how the building is going to fit in. With these type of apartments they often just show the apartment glaring in the middle of nowhere. Comeon throw in Skyhouse, Houston House, Savoy and the Exxon building in that rendering

• 3 weeks later...

Houston House grows on me more and more... they must be loving all the adjacent development.

The Houston House is a great and very underrated modernist building. I hope it stays. Could use a new paint job though. It's been very lonely for that building in that area for an awfully long time.

• Like 1

The Houston House is a great and very underrated modernist building. I hope it stays. Could use a new paint job though. It's been very lonely for that building in that area for an awfully long time.

Didn't it just get a new paint job a year or two ago? 

• Like 1

Houston House grows on me more and more... they must be loving all the adjacent development.

The only units worthwhile are the PH and the upper levels and even then the units are long and slender. The lower units were pretty bad last time I was up in there (2008ish); major plumbing problems which was probably the main impetus for the renovation.

I agree.  However, my opinion has varied over the years.  When it was new, I loved it.  30 years or so later, the exterior was not well maintained, and I came to  dislike it.  Now, more time has passed and the exterior is better than it was, and I like it again.  

I also hope it stays, as long as the owners keep it in good shape.  Perhaps because of the material on the exterior and the color of it, it's external appearance seems to depend more strongly than other buildings on maintaining a good color.  I.e., it doesn't weather well.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...