Fortune

• 3 weeks later...

Doh!

I'm pretty split on this development. I love me some density, but everything about this project feels underwhelming to say the least. Both in the size/scope and design. Oh well, density is density I guess, plenty more vacant parking lots to build more interesting things on.

• 4 weeks later...

its going to be weird seeing a low rise apartment complex in downtown.. ah well, more density/infill/residents! hope your right Alec

on a different note.. whats the likelyhood these lowrise apartment complexes in downtown are just moneymakers/placeholders for the land owners until they deem a highrise to be more profitable in the future when available land in downtown is more scarce?

The lot is empty and billboard is removed. I'd bet a nickel they'll have construction fence up this week. Hopefully skyhouse leaves their webcam on so we can still watch the progress.

Agreed. That was first thought that crossed my mind when I saw empty lot this morning as I rode train to work. That lot is heavily used by Reliant employees at Travis Tower nearby. Sucks for them ...looks like this is a go.

• Like 1

Not in a bad sense, but this place is going to look strange to me in downtown. This style is everywhere else but downtown. It'll actually make downtown start to look like a neighborhood. Weird! :P

I was thinking the same thing.

Its not the height that worries me (tge area has quite a few one or two storied buildings. What worries ne is the red brick. THAT will look out of place. I guess if there were ten others in the works it won't stand out as much, but something tells me this will be the only one in the area for sometime.

The height is fine, they just need to cgange the look of the exterior

I think the greater concern is the material used for construction.  If they are really going to use wooden members for structural support then that is a concern.  Obviously we're talking about a fully sprinklered building.  I still don't like that.

I'm all for smaller scale buildings in this part of downtown.  Anything to fill in the sea of empty lots.

Parking is going to start being more of a premium than it was now.

Thanks! From my vantage point, it was a little hard to tell. Definitely good to hear.

Someone will have to remind me, does this complex have retail facing Skyhouse Houston? I ask because Skyhouse has retail facing this development...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I think the greater concern is the material used for construction.  If they are really going to use wooden members for structural support then that is a concern.  Obviously we're talking about a fully sprinklered building.  I still don't like that.

I'm all for smaller scale buildings in this part of downtown.  Anything to fill in the sea of empty lots.

Agreed. I'm not a huge fan of a wood frame structure in the heart of downtown. Wood frame structures--- tend to be temporary in nature...  That being said, I wouldnt be surprised if the first floor is reinforced concrete with wood frame above it...

Is the issue that a wooden structure is insufficiently strong for the height?

It is building longevity.  Wood rots, steel rusts.  But you can patch steel more easily than you can replace entire sections of rotted/termite damaged wood trusses.

Also, this is Downtown and the building we're talking about is fairly large, so we would want a building with at least a projected lifespan of 50-60 years.  And I don't think all of the wood framed buildings that are mostly mid-rise apartments around town are projected to last that long.  Do you?

By the way - I have no idea if in fact this project will be wood or steel structure.  I'm assuming wood, because that is the norm for these "urban" apartment buildings around town.

It is building longevity.  Wood rots, steel rusts.  But you can patch steel more easily than you can replace entire sections of rotted/termite damaged wood trusses.

Also, this is Downtown and the building we're talking about is fairly large, so we would want a building with at least a projected lifespan of 50-60 years.  And I don't think all of the wood framed buildings that are mostly mid-rise apartments around town are projected to last that long.  Do you?

By the way - I have no idea if in fact this project will be wood or steel structure.  I'm assuming wood, because that is the norm for these "urban" apartment buildings around town.

maybe thats part of the plan. (this is just me scheming what i would do, but hear me out) what makes you think a 5 story apartment building is going to be economically reasonable within our downtown 50 years from now? land values are sure to go up as more and more lots get built on and properties become scarce. especially the prime lots. this will be a fairly desirable spot since its right on the main light rail line/Main Street.

stop renewing leases for the tenants in 20 years or so, eventually get them all out.. tear down the place and either sell off the land to a developer, or develop a new tower there yourself...

• Like 1

Arche you and I think alike. I think a midget wooden apartment complex in our concrete jungle does sound silly. I would rather ever last one of those little squares have a 15 floor (or more) concrete building.

On the other hand if I way my interests I would also like a hefty downtown population. Now waiting for park places and sky houses to develop we may get two each decade. I would rather fill up the lots with the cheaper apts and replace them as the area warrants more space than to sit there waiting years between new residential towers. I think a quickly growing residential population is priority one with me. I think there is more room for error with the towers.

You build a bunch of expensive towers that serve one use and then find its costly to serve the growing population properly.

If you build more cheaply and the population demands are observed more quickly then it is easier to adjust.

Throw a couple more of these 200 and 300 unit low rises downtown and you will see more of an interest from retaillers looking to the area.

• Like 1

it could be the other way around.  If I were running the numbers I would be looking at a scenario where the property loses value after 30-40 years, or that projected rents are lower, so it has to be built cheaply up front to make any sense.  Surely banks providing the financing would be looking at this project as at least a moderately high risk (although much less so with Skyhouse next door).

And yet how long have most of the previous boom apartment buildings wood framed and all (virtually none of them taller than 3 floors) been sitting are all over town being replaced that have sat for 10-15 years too long beyond their lifetime?  Most of them probably have significant structural issues that aren't apparent until the wrecking ball comes around and starts tearing them down.  A more solidly built building would provide the alternative to tear-downs and allow a smaller/middle sized developer the chance to come in and rehab the building into something still useable.

I hope this building isn't built the same way, but I suspect it will be.

Also - do we have an official height in floors?  I saw an image posted above that indicated a 7 floor building, not one that is 5 floors?