Fortune

"Alliance Residential Co. is planning to develop a five-story, 207-unit apartment complex south of downtown for the block bounded by Bell, Leeland, Main and Fannin. EDI International is the architectural firm."

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Houston-s-apartment-boom-focuses-on-urban-scene-4619878.php?t=445cfc44ffb05374ef

Latest Renders:

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/537f8331e4b08eeb11e2760f/55e9fab0e4b0d36ec99dd6a2/55e9fcace4b0a39300d61dfa/1441397932957/Final.jpg?format=1200w

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/537f8331e4b08eeb11e2760f/55e9fab0e4b0d36ec99dd6a2/55e9fcabe4b0ad0bfed754e7/1441397932228/Final+Image.jpg?format=1200w

post-10607-0-56693000-1372172141_thumb.j

post-10607-0-18625900-1372172152_thumb.j

• Like 9

looks retaily on the bottom...seeing as though it's in CBD proper i'm kinda surprised they're mot pushing for something closer to the 7-8 story range, though.

No kidding. We've always been told land value determines height. What gives?

I'm glad development is crawling to the north, starting to build a connection to the core

Edited by lockmat

"The land is still under contract and is still a parking lot, but the project site consists of 1.44 acres on the southeast corner of Main and Bell streets, just a block north of another incentive project: SkyHouse Houston, Novare Group Inc.’s $65 million high-rise.

Alliance wants to build a 207-unit, four-story community above parking."

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2013/06/downtown-living-incentive-plan-finds.html

• Like 1

looks retaily on the bottom...seeing as though it's in CBD proper i'm kinda surprised they're mot pushing for something closer to the 7-8 story range, though.

Per the hbj article, could it be all the first floor is just parking and this is an effort to disguise it? Or could they still fit some retail in?

Per the hbj article, could it be all the first floor is just parking and this is an effort to disguise it? Or could they still fit some retail in?

They could put retail on the first floor and have the garage behind it. Thats what skyhouse is doing with their north retail area. However, I'm being merely speculative. 

truthfully i seriously doubt they put retail here - seems unnecessary.

Lost opportunity; even more expensive to fix too. It's right in front of a train stop (which makes me wonder why the MFAH doesn't advertise on the side of their parking garage at the Museum District stop but that's another convo), if anything the tower next door doesn't need retail b/c this one doesn't. Or they both need retail; but one having retail and the other not is a recipe for disaster for the sole retail property.

Lost opportunity; even more expensive to fix too. It's right in front of a train stop (which makes me wonder why the MFAH doesn't advertise on the side of their parking garage at the Museum District stop but that's another convo), if anything the tower next door doesn't need retail b/c this one doesn't. Or they both need retail; but one having retail and the other not is a recipe for disaster for the sole retail property.

Totally forgot that it's in front of a stop... The city should actually force or at the very least heavily incentivize developers to include retail at stops. Not quite following you why it needs to be either both or none, tho.

Totally forgot that it's in front of a stop... The city should actually force or at the very least heavily incentivize developers to include retail at stops. Not quite following you why it needs to be either both or none, tho.

I'm guessing because retail likes to be near retail, and if there isn't any there, they won't build it at all because they don't want to be alone because it won't a destination area.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Gotta agree with you here.

When the rail was being built, all we heard was allllll these business owners crying foul about how the rail was killing their businesses. NOW that the main st rail is complete, it seems like everyone is clueless on how to capitalize on it. I mean HELLO, you basically have thousands of people every hour passing by your business just looking out of the train windows for something interesting to look at. Advertise loudly, build around the stops, do something!

• Like 3

Regarding the possibility of retail, (1) we do not know that there is not going to be retail (2) the renderings look like there will be some retail (3) Alliance has built other projects with retail.   On a related note, the downtown current projects map says the building will have an underground garage (which makes 1st floor retail even more feasible/likely).   I have no idea how reliable that note is, but there it is.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I care.

4746f144583a870d.jpg

I care as well. 

I honestly wouldn't mind if every parking/vacant lot in downtown went to something "mediocre" like this.  Development like this is great and it brings more residents to downtown, making it a more livable and healthy neighborhood. 

• Like 3