Fortune

When I passed by the site today there was a lot people and machinery moving rebar and digging up the parking lot. Good to see these Downtown projects get going!

Yeah I walked by there too. Was great to see construction all up and down main. This, Skyhouse, Savoy, Greenstreet and Macy's site all in a nice little stretch

• Like 1

Just imagine that angle by 2017 when there will be a 10 story residential high rise, two 12+ story residential highrises and a new park on another of the blocks.. Besides the obvious 5 story apartment here...

The two 12 story buildings will be in the frame but not the 10 story.

I am drawing a blank on the park. Where will this be?

Edit: Looking at Google maps I counted 35 lots in SE downtown that are at least 50% covered by surface parking. I used polk as the northern boundary and main as the western boundary. Counted 60 blocks in total. This is is really a sad state judging by the fact that most of the occupied blocks host single story buildings

Edited by HoustonIsHome
  • Like 1

^and the view will be from a newly renovated downtown icon.

unfortunately it wont be an icon after its renovated..

Edit: Looking at Google maps I counted 35 lots in SE downtown that are at least 50% covered by surface parking. I used polk as the northern boundary and main as the western boundary. Counted 60 blocks in total. This is is really a sad state judging by the fact that most of the occupied blocks host single story buildings

they havent announced the location of the park yet, just that they are pursuing one in southern downtown. 

and i definitely wont argue with you that there are a ton of surface lots in south east downtown.. they dont call it the "parking lot district" for nothing. heh.. im looking forward to the park revitalizing the area and bringing new developments with it, as the other downtown parks have done for their respected districts. hopefully in the next decade that portion of downtown will be unrecognizable, filled with entertainment, residential and mixed use developments..

So the point your making is....?

There should be multiple buildings occupying 1 city block and none of these blocks should be parking?

I like the multiple uses for 1 block, and think that feels more urban. I think we see that north downtown. But in this former "parking district" it is unreasonable to assume that a parking lot block will be purchased in peices. This area of downtown is going to have, most likely, single buildings on it... Just because this is the case, doesnt mean it is bad.

What's done is done here. I wish the 1900s buildings still filled these blocks, but, i will take what we get here. Happy to see the development!

• Like 1

So the point your making is....?

There should be multiple buildings occupying 1 city block and none of these blocks should be parking?

I like the multiple uses for 1 block, and think that feels more urban. I think we see that north downtown. But in this former "parking district" it is unreasonable to assume that a parking lot block will be purchased in peices. This area of downtown is going to have, most likely, single buildings on it... Just because this is the case, doesnt mean it is bad.

What's done is done here. I wish the 1900s buildings still filled these blocks, but, i will take what we get here. Happy to see the development!

The point I made was quite clear I said it is an ugly shot of downtown plain and simple.

Anyway if downtown is going to build a healthy residential population it is going to have to build UP soon.

The building that Alliance is building on this block isnt going to cut it.

The following are the number of total units if all 35 lots were occupied by:

Alliance-7250

Hines MS-8700 on 33 floors

Skyhouse- 11800 on 22 floors

Park Place-12000 on 30 floors not counting parking

Block 35-16200 on 40 floors

Thats an average of 10000 units. I am thinking that 102 floor building might start looking attractive if residential interest picks up. About 60 floors of residential in that building would do.

• Like 1

I count 30 such blocks out of a total of 63 blocks in the specified area (counting Toyota Center as 4 blocks, which is the number it covers.  The good news is, that is 10 fewer blocks of surface parking than just a relatively few years ago:

Toyota Center and Tundra Garage and Hilton Americas/GRB Garage:  7 blocks

Sacred Heart Co-Cathedral:  1 block

Sky House:  3/4 block

Main & Leeland Apartments:  1 block

More good news:

There are apartment towers seriously proposed that will take away another 3 of those blocks.

Edited by Houston19514

The point I made was quite clear I said it is an ugly shot of downtown plain and simple.

Anyway if downtown is going to build a healthy residential population it is going to have to build UP soon.

The building that Alliance is building on this block isnt going to cut it.

The following are the number of total units if all 35 lots were occupied by:

Alliance-7250

Hines MS-8700 on 33 floors

Skyhouse- 11800 on 22 floors

Park Place-12000 on 30 floors not counting parking

Block 35-16200 on 40 floors

Thats an average of 10000 units. I am thinking that 102 floor building might start looking attractive if residential interest picks up. About 60 floors of residential in that building would do.

Relax.  We don't have to rely on the Alliance project or projects like it to "cut it."  Your concern about needing to build UP soon seems especially odd when you are already aware of the projects that are doing so. There are at least 10 serious residential projects in the works downtown and the Alliance is the shortest.  The only other one with a single-digit floor count is Finger's 500 Crawford project.

Relax. We don't have to rely on the Alliance project or projects like it to "cut it." Your concern about needing to build UP soon seems especially odd when you are already aware of the projects that are doing so. There are at least 10 serious residential projects in the works downtown and the Alliance is the shortest. The only other one with a single-digit floor count is Finger's 500 Crawford project.

I am relaxed.

Im just saying that eventually they are going to have to go up if they want a sizeable downtown population.

The 10 residential plans on the board amount to how many units? 2500??

I'm just saying that residential could return downtown to building tall again if the market keeps up.

I count 30 such blocks out of a total of 63 blocks in the specified area (counting Toyota Center as 4 blocks, which is the number it covers.  The good news is, that is 10 fewer blocks of surface parking than just a relatively few years ago:

Toyota Center and Tundra Garage and Hilton Americas/GRB Garage:  7 blocks

Sacred Heart Co-Cathedral:  1 block

Sky House:  3/4 block

Main & Leeland Apartments:  1 block

More good news:

There are apartment towers seriously proposed that will take away another 3 of those blocks.

Sky House block had buildings on it that had to be demolished.

I'll take a five story apartment building with 350 people living in it over a dreary parking lot on the southside of downtown right now.

Besides didn't you say there were 30 other blocks we could get the mid rise to hi rises built on. I think its important just to start

getting as many people as possible into downtown and if it takes a couple of these smaller projects to grease the wheel, that's fine with me. That's more warm bodies living in downtown.

• Like 1

He also missed the point I made that a lot of the lots that do have buildings on them have one story buildings that will probably be demolished too.

The 10 story residential is going on the lot that had that glass store.

You missed the point.  ;-)  The residential developers are already going up. 

Edited by Houston19514

Not up enough dang it. :P

Downtown has proposals for a 33 story, a 28 story, possibly a 38 story (depending on what thee texaco redevelopers decide), and now a 40 story residential highrise. Not counting the rumored 40+ story ritz with resi. But I agree, we can always build taller! Heh