Fortune

I can vaguely see a rope trailing down from his waist and he has a harness so I assume he was strapped in. The other guys...not so sure lol

Event then, Body Belt fall arrest systems have been unnacceptable for fall arrest systems since like the late 90s for a couple of reasons why. When you fall, you accelerate quite quickly, the fall arrest system today are roughly designed for 5000 lbs of force. Thats not to say, that you weight 5000 lbs, you'll be safe. It means, that the force applied by a 300 lbs person falling 4-6 feet and stopping within a foot or two, will apply several thousand lbs of force to the arrest system. Body belts, are banned by OSHA (there are exceptions and this isnt one of them), because an inverted fall with 5000lbs of force on the arrest system will basically rip the belt down your legs or up your torso, and you die anyway. The other reason they were banned is because was if the body belt performed as such, it put incredible amount of stress on the hip bones, breaking the hip bones--- it also, could effectively annihilate internal organs with the equivalent of a 5000 lb punch to your stomach region. The recoil of a grown adult slamming his/her knees into their face at that velocity would knock most people unconscious, and it was determined that while many belts saved people from going splat on the pavement, their hanging position and injuries sustained by the belt they'd be dead within a minute from asphyxiation 

They should have a 6 point body hardness, at a minimum doing the work they're doing. Someone mentioned contacting the GC or owner of this project. I would encourage that. Either those guys are being knowingly reckless, or management is trying to cut corners on the backs of labor. 

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=NEWS_RELEASES&p_id=1078

https://www.osha.gov/Region7/fallprotection/fall_protection_info.html

• Like 2

Event then, Body Belt fall arrest systems have been unnacceptable for fall arrest systems since like the late 90s for a couple of reasons why. When you fall, you accelerate quite quickly, the fall arrest system today are roughly designed for 5000 lbs of force. Thats not to say, that you weight 5000 lbs, you'll be safe. It means, that the force applied by a 300 lbs person falling 4-6 feet and stopping within a foot or two, will apply several thousand lbs of force to the arrest system. Body belts, are banned by OSHA (there are exceptions and this isnt one of them), because an inverted fall with 5000lbs of force on the arrest system will basically rip the belt down your legs or up your torso, and you die anyway. The other reason they were banned is because was if the body belt performed as such, it put incredible amount of stress on the hip bones, breaking the hip bones--- it also, could effectively annihilate internal organs with the equivalent of a 5000 lb punch to your stomach region. The recoil of a grown adult slamming his/her knees into their face at that velocity would knock most people unconscious, and it was determined that while many belts saved people from going splat on the pavement, their hanging position and injuries sustained by the belt they'd be dead within a minute from asphyxiation 

They should have a 6 point body hardness, at a minimum doing the work they're doing. Someone mentioned contacting the GC or owner of this project. I would encourage that. Either those guys are being knowingly reckless, or management is trying to cut corners on the backs of labor. 

https://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owadisp.show_document?p_table=NEWS_RELEASES&p_id=1078

https://www.osha.gov/Region7/fallprotection/fall_protection_info.html

Awesome stuff you found. I had no idea about stuff like this. If anyone should be calling the GC or owner it should be astros148! Anyone of us could potentially contact them, but all we have to go by is the photo itself and could be passed off as us taking something out of context. The only way the photo sticks is if the person that took it put words behind it.

It's strange to think about a building in downtown Houston that appears to be almost completely made out of trees.  OTOH, I guess trees were the most conspicuous part of the landscape there 200 years ago ...

There may have been trees near the bayou, but most of the area was potholed prairie

• Like 1

I love the density. A repaint job is the best thing that ever happened to Houston House. Now, if only 2016 Main could update its look from that off-white and brown...

I always thought that Houston House looked like the Jawa’s big tracked desert rover thing from the original Star Wars movie alone by itself in a sea of asphalt.  Good that it is getting some neighbors.

sandcrawler.jpg

• Like 5