Aris At Market Square: 32-Story High-Rise By Hines

I posted a few pictures in the other Marketsquare develpoement and felt the Hines project should get some attention too. The picture shows today August 8th. Note that this is the first time I've seen a vehicle on the site since the soil sample work.

post-13371-0-55960200-1407510344_thumb.j

• Like 4
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sorry for the delay!  Was this what you had in mind, @bobruss?    

Downtown Houston Drone Shot by Chris Olbekson, on Flickr

Posted Images

Is that a fence or just bushes?

There is a fence blocking the driveway but the rest is bushes. The two cars in the driveway are I believe Frank's Pizza employee's since the same two are there everyday almost. There is one truck and one work van on the property itself. Pedestrians have been using the lot as a cut from Main since it is not completely fenced.

• Like 1

Cool post, Triton, even though that particular view of the skyline is pretty much certain to never occur - at a minimum, it omits the Marriott Marquis, the 40 story building across Market Square, and perhaps even 6HC.

• Like 1

Cool post, Triton, even though that particular view of the skyline is pretty much certain to never occur - at a minimum, it omits the Marriott Marquis, the 40 story building across Market Square, and perhaps even 6HC.

Or the highrise to be built along the Hess garage......
  • Like 1

Can't imagine that has anything to do with this building, right?

Maybe not but I figured I'd post it somewhere... It's all along Travis for several blocks but it's mainly located around this area.

This is a "throw the spaghetti at the wall" guess, but perhaps they're trying to tinker with the traffic light timing?  It's weird - Travis is pretty well synchronized, while on Austin, which also runs north in a less trafficked area of downtown, it seems like one has to stop at just about every block.  Cleaning that up could certainly take some load off of Travis.

• 2 weeks later...

Probably doesn't count as activity, but there were some workers in a pickup truck next to an empty flatbed trailer parked on the lot today. They weren't actually doing anything, but they did look to be employed and purposfully on the site, so the pot is still being watched.

• Like 1

Probably doesn't count as activity, but there were some workers in a pickup truck next to an empty flatbed trailer parked on the lot today. They weren't actually doing anything, but they did look to be employed and purposfully on the site, so the pot is still being watched.

Maybe we can pitch in and get you a shotgun microphone for these situations.

• Like 1

This could be for the little white (garage?) building on the right side of Nate's photo, built about 10 years ago, that will have to disappear according to the site plan in post #266.

You may be right.. To answer your question, no. They do not need to pull a permit just to clear a parking lot. 

This could be for the little white (garage?) building on the right side of Nate's photo, built about 10 years ago, that will have to disappear according to the site plan in post #266.

That is a walled in private parking lot with an automatic gate entrance on Prairie between El Big Bad/Cabo and Byrds/Georgia's Market. I figured it was for the tenants of whatever was upstairs from Georgia's, but don't actually know. 

That is a walled in private parking lot with an automatic gate entrance on Prairie between El Big Bad/Cabo and Byrds/Georgia's Market. I figured it was for the tenants of whatever was upstairs from Georgia's, but don't actually know. 

Correct.  Those are the parking spots for the condominium owners/residents on the upper floors of the Byrd Building.  Very interesting that it's included in the Hines project footprint.  I presume they have made arrangements with the condo owners to provide parking in the new Hines structure.

• Like 1

Honestly, I think this building is going to be so cool. Not only does it have the amenity rich residential units that downtown sorely needs, it is an amazing compromise between historic and modern, with solid street presence. We have needed this for a long time. I hope other developers take notice. This needs to be a huge success.

So happy it's happening!

Edited by Avossos
  • Like 1

Since it does appear that this project is moving into the construction phase, it once again shoes me how little I know about large construction projects. I would have bet you $100 that Hines would have significantly delayed ground breaking due the the competition under construction across the street. I cannot fathom that two resi hirises will be coming online across the street from each other and within a few months of each other and trying to lease, about 700 luxury units or so to the identical demographic.

At this point, it is best if I just shut-up, admire the guts it takes to be a real estate developer, and leave the building economics to the pros.

:: bows::

::exits::

• Like 2

I bet if Hines had any idea that the other tower was going to actually be built and get started before they did, they would have started on their high-rise a while back instead of dragging thier feet. Downtown residential competition is only going to increase.

I see Hines' tower and the other Market Square tower as complementing other. More folks living around Market Square will permit the lunch places to potentially open up for later hours (looking at you, Treebeards) and increase the desirability of the area.

Edited by houstontexasjack
  • Like 2
  • Highrise Tower changed the title to Aris At Market Square: 32-Story High-Rise By Hines