Aris At Market Square: 32-Story High-Rise At 409 Travis St.

Mab

huh? i wasnt complaining. i love the tower, and rarely complain about things so i dont understand the "for once".. just pointing out/curious how the ground floor interaction with the street will be now that its slightly different at the bottom and doesnt look like as many store fronts. i would love to live here too!

huh? i wasnt complaining. i love the tower, and rarely complain about things so i dont understand the "for once".. just pointing out/curious how the ground floor interaction with the street will be now that its slightly different at the bottom and doesnt look like as many store fronts. i would love to live here too!

my apologies - some of the comments on this board have irked me a lot lately. i feel like mister x or something :wacko:

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

hines-market-square-rendering.jpg

As Swamplot noted, it seems like they've taken out the ground floor retail that appeared to be on Preston Street in the initial renderings.

A propos of this, I want to make some negative comments about this project, since all we've done so far is shower gratitude on Hines:

1. Looks kind of stumpy.

2. The glass treatment on the facade gives it a sleek, yuppie feel more appropriate for Uptown. The historic district ideally deserves a full masonry treatment, something classy like the Museum Tower.

3. The horizontal bands on the upper floors remind me of those scrolling thin green lines on old tv's, pre-1990. The vertical brick pilasters on the lower floors look nice; why not something more like this further up?

4. If the corner entrance area is a grand residents' entrance and not retail as I suspect, it's a wasted opportunity. Prominent corner retail and side retail with potential for outdoor restaurant seating would be fantastic here. Residents do not need a giant lobby to come into. If you're going to do ground floor retail, might as well go all the way and do something amazing.

hines-market-square-rendering.jpg

As Swamplot noted, it seems like they've taken out the ground floor retail that appeared to be on Preston Street in the initial renderings.

A propos of this, I want to make some negative comments about this project, since all we've done so far is shower gratitude on Hines:

1. Looks kind of stumpy.

2. The glass treatment on the facade gives it a sleek, yuppie feel more appropriate for Uptown. The historic district ideally deserves a full masonry treatment, something classy like the Museum Tower.

3. The horizontal bands on the upper floors remind me of those scrolling thin green lines on old tv's, pre-1990. The vertical brick pilasters on the lower floors look nice; why not something more like this further up?

4. If the corner entrance area is a grand residents' entrance and not retail as I suspect, it's a wasted opportunity. Prominent corner retail and side retail with potential for outdoor restaurant seating would be fantastic here. Residents do not need a giant lobby to come into. If you're going to do ground floor retail, might as well go all the way and do something amazing.

Well that's a relief.  I was afraid H-Town Man had had a stroke or something.  ;-)

Oh, and from ZieglerCooper's description of the building:  "The corner of Travis and Preston streets has a welcoming porch for outdoor dining which reinforces pedestrian activity at the street level."

Edited by Houston19514

I don't know if this is truly the finalized rendering... I say this because I remember the first rendering looked most similar to this, then I distinctly remember a second rendering that looked a little different (better in proportions, but less . The rendering above looks similar to the 1st.

If this is truly the 3rd rendering, then I agree in the sense that this is the worst of the 3 I've seen. This is such a unique space, and this is better than I was expecting. I think it needs to be MOSTLY brick, and accents of the other materials, as opposed to vice versa, as they mentioned. I hope they make this as classic as possible, with the hints of modernity as the accents. Either way,it will be an improvement.

As is so often the case with those who want only to be relentlessly negative (e.g., Swamplot),  the reduction of retail on the Preston side is noted and bemoaned, but the countervailing increase of retail on the Travis side goes unmentioned (they moved the auto entrance/exit from the Travis side to the Preston side).

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1

This is a modern highrise. Brick is really inappropriate in this context. I disagree that the museum tower is "classy" and the fact that's it's a huge brick box is most of the problem. Have always been disappointed by it. Swamplot was speculating about ground floor arrangements. I'm sure Hines sees the benefits of retail at the base and will take advantage of it if possible. I still really like the overall design and look we are seeing.

• Like 1

As is so often the case with those who want only to be relentlessly negative (e.g., Swamplot), the reduction of retail on the Preston side is noted and bemoaned, but the countervailing increase of retail on the Travis side goes unmentioned (they moved the auto entrance/exit from the Travis side to the Preston side).

In earlier renderings there was retail on both streets with only a single bay taken out for the garage entrance on Travis. Now there seems to be no retail at all on Preston. I think this is what Swamplot noted, though didn't really bemoan (I'm bemoaning it though).

In earlier renderings there was retail on both streets with only a single bay taken out for the garage entrance on Travis. Now there seems to be no retail at all on Preston. I think this is what Swamplot noted, though didn't really bemoan (I'm bemoaning it though).

I'm very familiar with the earlier renderings (and site plans), the new renderings, and both Swamplots and your notes and bemoanings. 

The new plan has very close to the same total retail frontage as the original rendering (and includes retail at the corner, some of it fronting on Preston.  Both Swamplot and you only noted the removal of retail on one side and failed to note the similar amount added to the other side.  (But one presumes that, since there is parking in the levels above the retail, none of it can count as legitimate retail space anyway...)  ;-)

I'm very familiar with the earlier renderings (and site plans), the new renderings, and both Swamplots and your notes and bemoanings. 

The new plan has very close to the same total retail frontage as the original rendering (and includes retail at the corner, some of it fronting on Preston.  Both Swamplot and you only noted the removal of retail on one side and failed to note the similar amount added to the other side.  (But one presumes that, since there is parking in the levels above the retail, none of it can count as legitimate retail space anyway...)  ;-)

The second rendering below is the one I had in mind that shows retail on both streets:

9730446349_4914d7dd3d_b.jpg

The latest rendering shown on Swamplot...

hines-market-square-base.jpg

would seem to show a net loss in retail from the earlier "Revised" rendering. The difference is not "countervailing," as you say, since the "Revised" rendering shows 5 bays of retail space on two streets plus the corner, versus 4 bays on one street plus the corner in the current rendering.

If as you say the corner space is retail, and not a residents' entrance, then the difference in retail space is indeed a minor one. I hope that is the case, although I suspect that my "bemoanings" bother you even more when they are for minor things than when they are for major ones. ;-)

Edited by H-Town Man

I'm actually a little happy it's not just a solid glass building. I think the different facades will blend in nicely with the palates of colors in the area. Also, not having as much ground floor retail might be beneficial to the retail spaces that already exist. Baby steps...

• Like 1

H-Town Man, in the revised rendering (the second of the ones colored by a third grader) I don't see any garage entrance.  I agree the retail wraps all of the way around which would be awesome, but unless I am missing it, they forgot to cut out the portion that would have to go for the entrance.

H-Town Man, in the revised rendering (the second of the ones colored by a third grader) I don't see any garage entrance.  I agree the retail wraps all of the way around which would be awesome, but unless I am missing it, they forgot to cut out the portion that would have to go for the entrance.

It's there on the far right end.