Aris At Market Square: 32-Story High-Rise At 409 Travis St.

Mab

Why is the start date so far in the future when other projects like Hermann Place were just announced and already about to start? Think it's to give 609 Main some time to get off the ground so Hines doesn't have 2 projects starting at the same time?

I doubt it, Hines is a very large company and at any given time has multiple projects under construction all over the place.  I would think it has more to do with where they are in the design/development stages.  We've already seen a couple of different versions in just a few weeks which leads me to believe that they are still working out the design.  It takes it a bit of time to then finalize construction documents.

The other projects were much further along development wise before they went public I'm sure.  Hines also has a lot more hoops to jump through with it's location vs projects like Hermann Place.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

premium_gallery_landscape.jpg

• Final Name TBD
  • 33-Stories, 327,000 square feet (289 Units)
  • Construction Start: Sept. 2014, first resident move in May 2016, final completion Jan. 2017

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Hines-bets-big-on-its-hometown-4890024.php#/8

Edited by Urbannizer
  • Like 4

Agreed. Definitely worth subscribing for. Love that we can all look forward to something new almost every weekend now.

I wish the hbj would step their game back up, they're much cheaper to subscribe to than the chron paid side. Sunday mornings used to be the Chrons big news day, is Saturday mornings it now, at least for real estate?

I wish the hbj would step their game back up, they're much cheaper to subscribe to than the chron paid side. Sunday mornings used to be the Chrons big news day, is Saturday mornings it now, at least for real estate?

I think new articles on real estate are released on both Saturday and Sunday mornings, if I'm not mistaken. With Saturday mornings being the better news day for real estate.

So any time frame on when we could get to see a rendering of the entire building?  I've been pestering a friend at Ziegler+Cooper and he has yet to respond to my questions.

And what is the over/under on this thing getting scrapped during the next 11 months before construction starts?  That is a long time to sit on Hines "Starting Soon" docket.

• Like 1

So any time frame on when we could get to see a rendering of the entire building?  I've been pestering a friend at Ziegler+Cooper and he has yet to respond to my questions.

And what is the over/under on this thing getting scrapped during the next 11 months before construction starts?  That is a long time to sit on Hines "Starting Soon" docket.

? there were a few full sized renderings posted on here and Swamplot a while back. about a week after it was first announced with the teaser pic.

as for the latter question. im curious as well..

Thanks.  And, though I've not posted here in years I have been creeping with some of these threads...  I had forgotten the rendering in the background that was on the Channel 13 broadcast.

I still want to see THAT rendering without any of the mess around it.  And I'm honestly more interested in the "backside" of the building - since we have no idea just how good/bad that could be.  One has to worry when rendering crop up that only show 1 angle, that means the design on the otherside is purposely being hidden (or the architects are just being cheap - renderings are pricey).  I should know, I've seen it done at all the firms I've worked at over the years.

Thanks.  And, though I've not posted here in years I have been creeping with some of these threads...  I had forgotten the rendering in the background that was on the Channel 13 broadcast.

I still want to see THAT rendering without any of the mess around it.  And I'm honestly more interested in the "backside" of the building - since we have no idea just how good/bad that could be.  One has to worry when rendering crop up that only show 1 angle, that means the design on the otherside is purposely being hidden (or the architects are just being cheap - renderings are pricey).  I should know, I've seen it done at all the firms I've worked at over the years.

i wouldnt say they are hiding anything.. just showing the view of the tower that most people will see when visiting Market Square park. the bottom half of the back side will be blocked by the 10ish story buildings along Main. im sure the other side will look fine.

Then the architects are saving the thousands of their fees that would go towards getting that other rendering.  I'm sure if it starts to manifest itself from more than just a rendering and construction is near then we will see some additional details here and there.

Personally, of all the buildings proposed for downtown this is the one I like the most and think that it will have the greatest impact on the city as a whole.  If modern highrise living in downtown both from Hines and whats their name further south on Main Street work, then we can start to expect more and more development of this typology.

• Like 1

I agree, I'm also excited about this project, particularly because of the location and the company that is developing it.  And, likewise, for its potential to have a changing impact on our city.  With 150,000 + people working downtown, its rather surprising that downtown Austin has so much more highrise residential development, despite the much smaller workforce there.  This project alone isn't enough to change the situation, but it will play an important role along with other improvements in the area.  E.g., continued improvements along the bayou, including flood-bypass channels.

• Like 1

yep. this whole downtown residential initiative has been a huge success, but as well as its going, we should have even more. its good to see developers feeling more comfortable dipping into the market since the success of One Park Place though. hopefully this trend continues even after the initiative has expired.

I agree, I'm also excited about this project, particularly because of the location and the company that is developing it.  And, likewise, for its potential to have a changing impact on our city.  With 150,000 + people working downtown, its rather surprising that downtown Austin has so much more highrise residential development, despite the much smaller workforce there.  This project alone isn't enough to change the situation, but it will play an important role along with other improvements in the area.  E.g., continued improvements along the bayou, including flood-bypass channels.

Downtown Austin has a nice lake in front of it. Downtown Houston is surrounded mostly by freeways, and has to compete with the Galleria area and anywhere between downtown and the west loop that a developer might happen to drop a pin on a map.  The average Houstonian high-rise customer still hasn't figured out that if all the high-rise people live in one place, the whole will be greater than the sum of its parts.

• Like 1

That lake is also man made...

Houston offers more highrise diversity than Austin...so far.  And as such we have fewer concentrations of high rise living than what we now see in Austin's downtown area.  The difference is we have 5-7 different areas where residential towers have proliferated over the years.

And this project, while not enough to drastically change Downtown forever, it is enough to help move Downtown in a more residential friendly direction.  Given Hines' desire to build exclusively commercial buildings I can say that this project is non-the-less very promising.

• Like 1

Downtown Austin has a nice lake in front of it. Downtown Houston is surrounded mostly by freeways...

Downtown Houston now has Discovery Green and Market Square Park, and soon will have a re-developed Buffalo Bayou.  Not to mention 3 light rail lines while Austin has some sort of commuter rail that doesn't seem like it would serve any purpose if you were living downtown other than to reverse commute.  Or all the pro sports and world class cultural things Houston has to offer downtown. 

I think what has held downtown Houston back has been the lack of grocery stores and green space, and now that is changing... lack of good public schools is still going to be a drawback for any families looking to move downtown.  I don't think downtown Houston is "surrounded" by freeways any more than Austin is surrounded by I-35, MoPac, etc... certainly not something that is preventing people from living downtown.  Although I suppose I could understand your perspective if you rode the ferris wheel at the Aquarium, which provides a lovely view of... I-45.  :mellow:

Downtown Austin has a nice lake in front of it. Downtown Houston is surrounded mostly by freeways, and has to compete with the Galleria area and anywhere between downtown and the west loop that a developer might happen to drop a pin on a map. The average Houstonian high-rise customer still hasn't figured out that if all the high-rise people live in one place, the whole will be greater than the sum of its parts.

Is downtown Austin the only place high-rises are allowed per their zoning in their metro area?

Is downtown Austin the only place high-rises are allowed per their zoning in their metro area?

Probably not, but it's the only place I can think of where they'd want to be that they're allowed.

I wasn't trying to start a downtown Houston vs. downtown Austin thing. Obviously I favor Houston, given my user name. :)  But at this moment in time, there are more people in this world who would want to live within 5 blocks of Town Lake in downtown Austin than within 5 blocks of anything in downtown Houston. As soon as we get an active pedestrian life that will start changing rapidly, but not until then.

I agree that Town Lake is a great draw for DT Austin.  Despite that, Buffalo Bayou is a resource that we haven't exploited so well yet.  I hope we will get flood bypass channels that will make "Lake Allison" a thing of the past, while also getting more quality-of-life benefits from it.  I think we can work with the python-like grip of the early-60s freeway loop around downtown, although I also hope we can change that, too.  The lack of amenities for downtown residents seems (to me) to be the biggest obstacle.  DT Austin does have the flagship Whole Foods store close by, which must really help it.  For us, I'm glad to see how well Phoenicia seems to be doing, albeit on a smaller scale.  Hopefully their success and more residential development will lead to more choices for DT residents.

10365046535_214eb0b693_o.jpg

Occupying one half of a city block in the heart of downtown Houston, Hines Market Square is within a five minute walk of the CBD with access to public transportation, and an extensive array of restaurants and clubs in the Historic Warehouse District. Overlooking Houston’s first Urban Park, Market Square, the 33 story tower offers the luxury and convenience of a five star resort hotel. Also located within walking distance from Discovery Green, Buffalo hike and bike trails and three sports stadiums, the new residential tower will be home to 289 residents. Residents living in the tower will be treated to uninterrupted views of Buffalo Bayou to the North, Allen Parkway to the West, city views to the South and Minute Maid Stadium to the East. Perched above the garage on level nine, with dramatic night time city views, is an array of amenities including: an aqua lounge with outdoor pool and terrace, fitness center, club room with gourmet kitchen, Wi-Fi lounge, and a private theater. The corner of Travis and Preston streets has a welcoming porch for outdoor dining which reinforces pedestrian activity at the street level.

The design of this luxury residential tower is guided by the modern principals of strength, elegance and timelessness for a 21st century architectural expression clad in a crisp combination of glass, aluminum, and stainless steel complimented by the richness of stone and masonry detailing throughout. The geometry of the tower is organized into a timeless architectural expression with a classic base, middle and top. The project is crowned by a lantern which is illuminated at night to become a landmark building on the Northern edge of downtown Houston. The design of the buildings base responds to the architectural heritage of the surrounding warehouse district, yet engages in a dialogue with Market Square becoming a foreground building as you approach downtown from the North.

http://zieglercooper.com/hines-market-square/

• Like 9