Aris At Market Square: 32-Story High-Rise At 409 Travis St.

Mab

I'm very concerned that this building doesn't have a top. Since there isn't one on the rendering, that obviously means they must be planning on building the tower without a roof. OMG! What's wrong with people? What is going to happen when it starts to rain?

Oh come on, now youre just being ridiculous......

.....obviously the developers thought of this and are planning on the huge dome over downtown to be finished before the building is. Problem solved.

• Like 1

I talk the owner of Warren's and she also owns La Carafe and the only thing she said is traffic will get worse.

That's the first time I have ever heard a restaurant owner complain about increasing residential in the immediate vicinity of their business.  Do you think maybe her business might get better having a residential highrise across the street?

Edited by livincinco
  • Like 3

That's the first time I have ever heard a restaurant owner complain about increasing residential in the immediate vicinity of their business.  Do you think maybe her business might get better having a residential highrise across the street?

Agreed.  But keep in mind that there is at least an even chance that Nativehoustonian has misreported what was said.

• Like 1

Agreed.  But keep in mind that there is at least an even chance that Nativehoustonian has misreported what was said.

This x1000

He seems pretty clueless about the project in general when the articles are in this thread to read. Personally, I find it highly unlikely he talked to anyone.

I did talk to her.  How you do if the owner is a man or a woman.  See did not seem so thrill that Hines will build around them.  Where is the proof that he bought that parking lot next to Frank's?  I do not have the time to the courthouse.  That rendering is a joke, I wonder who received it?

Um, huh?

• Like 1

Who received this rendering?  It does not look right.  This cannot be across the street from Market Square.  It does not show the clock tower or Warren's and there is a restaurant on the corner.  I talk the owner of Warren's and she also owns La Carafe and the only thing she said is traffic will get worse.  Hines did not buy the whole block. 

"I'm no expert but i have a very strong opinion!"

- Tracy Jordan

i think this quote summarizes your post perfectly.

• Like 5

Apt but can be converted to condo in the future.

So swtsig - is that the motive of these developers currently building highrise apartments since the capital is flowing to multifamily rental right now?

I ask because I don't ever recall 20-40 story highrise apartment buildings going up in Houston as we are experiencing now.  With the exception of a couple of galleria area towers in the early 2000's (1200 Post Oak & Whitco's apartment building on McCue), in previous cycles the highrise multifamily buildings were generally condo units to my knowledge.

Maybe with high end finishes, projects like Hanover's BLVD Place, 2929 Weslayan, Hermann Place, Hines Market Square all plan condo conversions in the future. Quite clever if you ask me - build what the banks are currently financing (apartments) only to convert to what you really wanted to build in the first place (condos) later - possibly even before finishing construction?

Edited by HOUSTONIAN (N-ATL)

wow, fantastic find!

are there not plans for other towers in the planning commission website? it would be neat to get some more official information about some of the other buildings going up.

Sometimes there is info on a tower online from the planning commission. Nothing really on the website that I have access to. I would like to know the height for other towers going up as well.