Aris At Market Square: 32-Story High-Rise By Hines

Mab

I'm all for the DLI, but I personally don't think there should be more large-scale incentives like this for developers to come downtown.  The nudge in the right direction was crucial, but let the market determine the rest.  You have less risk for players to enter the market that otherwise should not have been in the game, w/o the additional funding.  I want downtown to be a destination like anyone else, but let the invisible hand do the work.  There does not need to be a retail-incentive package.  You have the possibility of 5,000 units coming online in the next 2-3 years.  All of these residents have the disposable income that will make retailers want to be downtown.  The Allen Center and Houston Center proposed GF improvements will really enhance the street level bringing more people up from the tunnels and opening up more opportunity for retailers.  Safe, walkable, and lively downtown streets will further promote downtown living, and removing incentives will make the market more competitive giving consumers the best finished product.  The units under development will create a domino-effect and the outcome everyone is hoping for. 

All of the above is just my opinion, of course.

Downtown Houston build an indoor public ice rink someplace, charge a reasonable fee to skate. Build a rock climbing place in the Warehouse District. Build a trampoline gym there too, and a big lazer tag place.

Thank you, Timoric.

I shall now steal your ideas and make untold MILLIONS from them. You are a great man indeed, a TRUE visionary!

• Like 3

Like the colors and saturation of this pic, whatever you did differently... (maybe tinted window?)

Tinted window and I cropped it down from a larger file so there is less resolution than if I had an actual camera that I could set the frame from where I was. Totally accidental, but the sunlight angle was in my favor.

I wonder if they could do a similar incentive for retail - something like a sales tax break on all groceries or dry-goods sold. (Yes I realize the grocery basics don't have sales tax but prepared frozen food does, toilet paper, etc - things that Phoenicia doesn't have anyway)

There have been retail and restaurant incentives in place since about 2005. OKRA, Batanga, Oxheart, Honeymoon, Little Dipper, El Big Bad, etc used them to get open. Only soft good retailer I know of that used the retail incentive was the Tipping Point, which has now closed. American Apparel was set to receive incentives about 10 years ago before the landlord of the Sakowitz building pulled the deal from them.

Edited by largeTEXAS
  • Like 2

Any good rooftop bars in downtown, current or coming soon? Or a building that SHOULD have one on top?

There's one in the Hilton, 1 Shell (Houston Club), Total Plaza (petroleum club), but those are venues that you have to be a member or rent out. There's one ontop of the Wedge that's a restaurant but it has office hours. Spindle top on the Hyatt (restaurant).

There's one in the Hilton, 1 Shell (Houston Club), Total Plaza (petroleum club), but those are venues that you have to be a member or rent out. There's one ontop of the Wedge that's a restaurant but it has office hours. Spindle top on the Hyatt (restaurant).

I don't think those qualify as roofTOP.  I think he is talking about outdoor areas.

House of Blues has a patio by the Bronze/Peacock? bar. Granted it's not very high but it's kind of cool to be in the canyon of all the tall buildings.

If patios count, my vote is Bad News Bar. I love being slightly above a dense, energetic corner of downtown.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well, my “hand over the fence” shots seem pretty bush league now.

Thanks for sharing, hope the water didn’t hurt anything important.

Your hand over the fence shots were pretty good - we were speculating on whether you just got a good zoom through fence or climbed up something. Mystery solved! 

Progress is relatively important; I cannot wait to get elevated and get out of the mud!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

^ Rain. It may not look like it, but we're moving. Stay tuned in the next few weeks. 

I have heard there is a couple of other projects in the state that have actually bypassed SOG because of mud and just went elevated because they couldn't get it dry enough to get select fill or if they could get dry material it wouldn't be for long.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Aris At Market Square: 32-Story High-Rise By Hines