Aris At Market Square: 32-Story High-Rise At 409 Travis St.

Mab

Honestly, I think this building is going to be so cool. Not only does it have the amenity rich residential units that downtown sorely needs, it is an amazing compromise between historic and modern, with solid street presence. We have needed this for a long time. I hope other developers take notice. This needs to be a huge success.

So happy it's happening!

Edited by Avossos
  • Like 1

Since it does appear that this project is moving into the construction phase, it once again shoes me how little I know about large construction projects. I would have bet you $100 that Hines would have significantly delayed ground breaking due the the competition under construction across the street. I cannot fathom that two resi hirises will be coming online across the street from each other and within a few months of each other and trying to lease, about 700 luxury units or so to the identical demographic.

At this point, it is best if I just shut-up, admire the guts it takes to be a real estate developer, and leave the building economics to the pros.

:: bows::

::exits::

• Like 2

I see Hines' tower and the other Market Square tower as complementing other. More folks living around Market Square will permit the lunch places to potentially open up for later hours (looking at you, Treebeards) and increase the desirability of the area.

Edited by houstontexasjack
  • Like 2

Better amenities?

Right? I don't see a cabana pool overlooking market square, a rooftop cantilevered pool, or an indoor basketball court in this tower..

Kind of makes me wonder if Hines is going to rethink some things/ this will turn into an amenities war between the two. Probably not but it's kind of hard to imagine Hines will sit back and let their tower play second fiddle to Market Square Tower.

Right? I don't see a cabana pool overlooking market square, a rooftop cantilevered pool, or an indoor basketball court in this tower..

Kind of makes me wonder if Hines is going to rethink some things/ this will turn into an amenities war between the two. Probably not but it's kind of hard to imagine Hines will sit back and let their tower play second fiddle to Market Square Tower.

From what we can tell, it will be second fiddle in terms of amenities, but will look more attractive to outsiders and passersby. The retail spaces should make this a much more lively corner at street level, and the architecture is (imho) better. Views may also be marginally better, with more interesting streets around Hines' building than MST. Unless something very interesting replaces the Chronicle parking garage across the street from MST, I'm expecting that block to remain a dead zone, and the same goes for Louisiana St.

Edited by H-Town Man

Cherry Demolition is on site and the whole area is fenced off, I can only guess this building will happen.

Just drove by to run some errands. Unfortunately, the whole lot is still not fenced off, just the driveway that has always been.

I bet if Hines had any idea that the other tower was going to actually be built and get started before they did, they would have started on their high-rise a while back instead of dragging thier feet. Downtown residential competition is only going to increase.

Something tells me that BMS starting construction on the 40 story tower so suddenly and abruptly might have been intentional.

From what I understand, MST supposed to have 22,000 square feet of retail including shop restaurants and a grocery store so I would imagine that corner would be pretty lively.

Most of that 22,000 square feet is already existing space in the parking garage on the other side of the block. Only one retail space is planned for the northern half of the block, and it won't be near the corner, which will be a giant portico for cars.

It's already starting to get a great night life again over there. I went there Saturday night and a few of the bars actually had lines standing out the door. I was a little shocked at that since I thought it would be a little easy to get in. The big problem with that area though is the rampant amount of homeless people... some of the people look very questionable around there and at least two homeless people got kicked out of La Carafe while I was there. I definitely plan on going back to that bar area but my girlfriend was definitely nervous walking though parts of it, especially on Main... even Market Square Park had a lot of people sleeping in it and she refused to walk by them.  :rolleyes:

Better amenities?

Well I kind of stretched the amenities based on location, but these buildings are only a block apart so my better amenities comment didn't hold up either way. They are not a mile apart so Hines being right at the train station or the bars and stuff on main isn't really that much of a plus in the amenities department.

I didn't really mean amenities in the building itself as I can't recall what hines is supposed to offer.

It's already starting to get a great night life again over there. I went there Saturday night and a few of the bars actually had lines standing out the door. I was a little shocked at that since I thought it would be a little easy to get in. The big problem with that area though is the rampant amount of homeless people... some of the people look very questionable around there and at least two homeless people got kicked out of La Carafe while I was there. I definitely plan on going back to that bar area but my girlfriend was definitely nervous walking though parts of it, especially on Main... even Market Square Park had a lot of people sleeping in it and she refused to walk by them. :rolleyes:

You can't kick them out of public places..but it is against cities rules to sleep on public property (That on the city for not enforce the rules. You will have a hundred cops in the day time but it will be a ghost town for cops at night..