Aris At Market Square: 32-Story High-Rise At 409 Travis St.

Mab

Cranes are going up here and at Capital Garage. I think that makes 19 currently in downtown.

If 2 are going up at Capital garage then yes I count 19 too.  Hopefully Catalyst will join them with 2 more before some start coming back down. Most likely to come down next might be Alley Theatre and/or 1311 Louisiana garage.

• Like 2

After the Art Car Parade I made my way downtown to see the two tower cranes going up, here and at the Skanska site. One of the Austin Commercial site superintendents said the would finish the crane install today. Will post a video later.

l002RIX.jpg

kB7tFSt.jpg

yUqrnuo.jpg

SJrzrLs.jpg

WGC4N8m.jpg

VeCu3Or.jpg

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 7

This will dominate the block, but in a good way - there's already a couple of tall structures, and it will all by varied.  I can't wait to see it once it gets near the state national building's level

State National and Houston Citizens look big walking around the area. This tower (and the other across the park) will put a whole other level of visual heft in to the area.

• Like 1

~$240 a sq ft is an insanely high land price, even for downtown, correct? Apparently this, along with many of the other DLI applicants wouldn't of been able to move forward on their projects without the incentives.. Makes me wonder how many more (if any) residential units are coming in the near future now that the DLI is capped out.

~$240 a sq ft is an insanely high land price, even for downtown, correct? Apparently this, along with many of the other DLI applicants wouldn't of been able to move forward on their projects without the incentives.. Makes me wonder how many more (if any) residential units are coming in the near future now that the DLI is capped out.

There probably won't for a bit, but really do we need more RIGHT now? Lets remember that a good percentage of them have yet to even break ground. I think a smart idea is just to wait until a good portion of these are built before a decision is made to maybe renew the incentive or create an entirely new one. Make developers know that they just can't hop onto the program and then wait forever to build their projects.

I completely agree about not needing more for a bit. It just kind of worried me when the head of Hines multi family southwest division says many of these residential projects wouldn't of made sense without the incentives. At the same time I guess its a positive that the city realized this and was willing to do something about it to attract new residential units. They need to provide incentives to bring a major grocery store downtown...

Edited by cloud713
  • Like 1

I wonder if they could do a similar incentive for retail - something like a sales tax break on all groceries or dry-goods sold. (Yes I realize the grocery basics don't have sales tax but prepared frozen food does, toilet paper, etc - things that Phoenicia doesn't have anyway)

• Like 4

Where did you get $240psf? That is a really high price.