Aris At Market Square: 32-Story High-Rise At 409 Travis St.

Mab

The Houston Citizens building is offices. Lots of lawyers. Pretty sure the building is about to undergo a rehab. It's got one of the coolest (big) retail spaces in Houston on the ground floor, mezzanine, and basement. Was several nightclubs in the late 90's/early 2000's, but could be a fantastic high-end restaurant.

• Like 2

Just putting this out there:

I don't think is for 900 Preston.

I think this is for the restaurant space being built between 900 Preston and Frank's.

I was wondering about that.  The last we saw, the space immediately adjacent to Frank's was not part of the Hines property.  Have we seen an actual proposal/plan for this piece of property?

Hmmmm... That would be an incredible coincidence, but yeah, according to site plan in post 266, that's not part of Hines' property. Are there any paint lines in the pavement demarcating a separate space, I wonder?

Also, when is the last time any new construction restaurant was done downtown that would fit into a traditional space like that?

I had called the Hines office a few weeks ago to ask them the status. Yesterday a Hines official called me and I told him I wanted to find out if the project had been delayed or still on. He said they should be starting very soon just got final drawings and have lined up a contractor and were getting ready to start. He said they would be rental units and I should consider a unit. So we have another high rise residential tower going up on Market Square. This is really going to be exciting. Market Square is going to come alive with people. Day and especially night. With these two towers along with the rice, the lofts on Franklin and Travis the density level might spur new street level retail in the old existing empty buildings around the area. It will be a great place to live with the theater district and all of the sporting venues downtown. Plus with the rail you'll have access to med center nag and Herman park and all of the museums.

• Like 5

I had called the Hines office a few weeks ago to ask them the status. Yesterday a Hines official called me and I told him I wanted to find out if the project had been delayed or still on. He said they should be starting very soon just got final drawings and have lined up a contractor and were getting ready to start. He said they would be rental units and I should consider a unit. So we have another high rise residential tower going up on Market Square. This is really going to be exciting. Market Square is going to come alive with people. Day and especially night. With these two towers along with the rice, the lofts on Franklin and Travis the density level might spur new street level retail in the old existing empty buildings around the area. It will be a great place to live with the theater district and all of the sporting venues downtown. Plus with the rail you'll have access to med center nag and Herman park and all of the museums.

Wow. This is another Hines project? This will make their fourth highrise construction site in downtown. Amazing.

It's owned by Frank's.

It will be a zero-lot line building with sort of a beer garden area.

It was approved by the HAHC a few months ago for the address the demo permit was pulled under.

Wow.  So we were all led astray by the posting of the demolition permit news.  Turns out a close look at the address would have told us all along the demolition permit was probably not related to the Hines project.

413 Travis

• Like 1

Further info:   Here's a little detail of what was approved for 413 Travis by the HAHC:

Construct a two-story façade at the front property line to conceal an interior courtyard
and one-story commercial structure at the rear of the lot. The façade will feature oxidized steel panel cladding and a steel cable screen at the storefront level.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

Wow. So we were all led astray by the posting of the demolition permit news. Turns out a close look at the address would have told us all along the demolition permit was probably not related to the Hines project.

413 Travis

Yes. Rereading the Swamplot article, it was indicating it was not for Residences at Market Square. Funny that no one caught that.