Aris At Market Square: 32-Story High-Rise At 409 Travis St.

Mab

Ok, here we go.

Courtesy of Marc Longoria (Triton), you can see over at The Catalyst by Minute Maid (28 floors), they are both drilling:

and digging up the foundation at the same time:

Yup. But, I think there was at least a couple of weeks of digging before the crane showed up. I may be wrong on that though. I just remain surprised that the crane showed up in the first wave. I don't recall seeing that before.

It's very interesting though.... A 40 story building across the street excaves a huge hole and then starts building. This Hines structure of 30-ish floors seemingly will not (or maybe they will?). Fun to watch the differences in construction techniques (and equipment staging!).

I know zero about construction. So, to me, this sounds possible but, I think they just pile drive those, don't they?

Nah. 609 Main had the auger or w/e drill thing atttched to a mobile crane drilling shafts around the perimeter of the building before they did the mat pour.

He could be absolutely right.. I just figured that was more for the big skyscrapers. Not a 32 story building. Then again Hines is behind both this and 609.. And they have been drilling with the same set up for a while now at the Southmore. So maybe it's just how Hines builds their towers?

One Market Square

Location: Downtown block bounded by Prairie, Preston, Travis and Main

Developer: Houston-based Hines

Original plan: For more than a year, the developer has been planning a 32-story luxury rental tower with 274 units at the site.

Update: Construction started Jan. 12, and the building is scheduled for completion in the spring of 2016, the company said.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Cracks-forming-in-commercial-real-estate-market-6037038.php#/0

• Like 5

I really like that vantage point.

It's from the Bayou Lofts (former Southern Pacific Building).  For posterity, here is pretty much the same view from 1911.  Pre-Rice Hotel. 

15772405573_577b6de8ee_z.jpg622x350 South View 1911 by differentryana, on Flickr

At the left you see what is now the Icon Hotel.  That is Travis Street in the right 2/3rds.  Market Square Park right next to it.  I believe we can all still see Frank's Pizza.

• Like 5

Hopefully I am not giving too many updates of this building... went to Treebeards again today and thought I'd take a photo while I am here.

15776999023_066ed6215e_h.jpg

Residences at Market Square by marclongoria, on Flickr

Trailer literally just came on site as well.

15776997263_ebe3848d42_h.jpg

Residences at Market Square by marclongoria, on Flickr

With so many on here complaining about oil prices and projects getting put on hold I think you might be doing a lot of people a favor with giving them peace of mind that this and other projects are still getting built because we all know that anytime a sector of the economy slips up a bit people automatically abandon multi-million dollar projects even when they are digging foundations or erecting cranes. Nope, there is still that tiny sliver of doubt....

Edited by Luminare
  • Like 1

With so many on here complaining about oil prices and projects getting put on hold I think you might be doing a lot of people a favor with giving them peace of mind that this and other projects are still getting built because we all know that anytime a sector of the economy slips up a bit people automatically abandon multi-million dollar projects even when they are digging foundations or erecting cranes. Nope, there is still that tiny sliver of doubt....

Not to be a killjoy here but we still don't know for certain if this isn't all for Frank's patio.

• Like 7