Aris At Market Square: 32-Story High-Rise At 409 Travis St.

Mab

Errrrr. What?

For the uninitiated among us....

What does a crawler crane do and how is it involved in the excavation?

This is a crawler crane, like the Link Belt on site:

ls-348.jpg

A "crawler" is just a crane on two tracks, like a tank.

This is a tower crane:

TOR-001-a-solution-for-the-Tower-cranes.

A tower crane is used to erect tall buildings.

A crawler had various uses, but as far as why there is one on site this early, I dont know. They may use it to move equipment around the site, they may be using it to build other equipment.

Or worst of all, all this construction equipment could just be there to construct the little patio thing they are building next to Franks. :lol:

• Like 2

Or worst of all, all this construction equipment could just be there to construct the little patio thing they are building next to Franks. :lol:

I know you are probably joking but for those wondering, it can't. I asked a construction worker what the project was and he said it was a "tall apartment building." That was all I needed to know, hence that was the exact minute I said "it's under construction!!!" Plus, I could actually ride my bike on the lot on Saturday but now it is actually fenced off from every corner.
  • Like 3

I know you are probably joking but for those wondering, it can't. I asked a construction worker what the project was and he said it was a "tall apartment building." That was all I needed to know, hence that was the exact minute I said "it's under construction!!!" Plus, I could actually ride my bike on the lot on Saturday but now it is actually fenced off from every corner.

I'm going to need more evidence that this isn't all for the Frank's patio.

• Like 2

This is a crawler crane, like the Link Belt on site:

ls-348.jpg

A "crawler" is just a crane on two tracks, like a tank.

This is a tower crane:

TOR-001-a-solution-for-the-Tower-cranes.

A tower crane is used to erect tall buildings.

A crawler had various uses, but as far as why there is one on site this early, I dont know. They may use it to move equipment around the site, they may be using it to build other equipment.

This part I understood -- I know that there are tower cranes and all sorts of mobile cranes. What I don't understand in my original post was why the crane (any crane) is there so early. A poster above suggests that it could be for drilling pilings .... Could be but it still seems too early. Isn't their at least a few weeks of excavation or grading to do?

This part I understood -- I know that there are tower cranes and all sorts of mobile cranes. What I don't understand in my original post was why the crane (any crane) is there so early. A poster above suggests that it could be for drilling pilings .... Could be but it still seems too early. Isn't their at least a few weeks of excavation or grading to do?

I would think so too.

But like I said, there is a number of things it could be there for so we'll just have to wait and see.

Until I see a few diggers on the site, Im still not going to get my hopes up that this is actually Hines.

I took a look at the site. They have one of the big augers laying on its side. Pile drilling seems to be a reasonable explanation for the crane. The absence of a hole is a bit confusing.

Like I said, I don't think the SkyHouses had holes either. I wonder if there are two different styles of constructing buikdings.. A mat pour, or pilings.. Or sometimes both in the case of larger buildings like 609? The office building/hotel next to the convention center started straight with pilings, no excavation..

Like I said, I don't think the SkyHouses had holes either. I wonder if there are two different styles of constructing buikdings.. A mat pour, or pilings.. Or sometimes both in the case of larger buildings like 609? The office building/hotel next to the convention center started straight with pilings, no excavation..

I walked by Skyhouse RO early on and I think I remember that they had excavated a bit of a hole, maybe about one story deep.  The Belfiore had a similarly deep hole excavated, which is still visible (I'm guessing they will have one level of underground parking that will extend away from the tower).  Skyhouse RO has that big parking garage, so in contrast to Belfiore, they wouldn't need to extend the pit so far away from the building.

http://swamplot.com/hiness-32-story-apartment-tower-catty-corner-from-market-square-is-going-up-now/2015-01-20/

hines-mkt-sq-park.jpg

A WEEK later than promised, trucks and equipment have been moved onto the southeast corner of Preston and Travis streets downtown, ready to carve a 32-story highrise apartment building out of this surface parking lot, a reader reports (sending the above pics).

Meanwhile, Ziegler Cooper’s design for the tower has grown more brick-y and a bitless sleek and Mod than renderings featured a year ago on Swamplot appeared to show. The building hascontracted since then as well: It’s now 1 floor shorter, and — at 274 units — 15 apartments lighter than indicated previously.

The building will still feature street-facing retail space on the ground level of its (now) 8-floor garage podium, and a pool deck above, according to the architects:

Construction is expected to be complete by 2017.

Edited by DrLan34
  • Like 3

You can just click on the link, you know? Anyway, it really has changed. It pretty bland now compared to the old renderings.

I did click the link, you know? I even clicked it again after your comment to see if any different design was posted that we hadn't seen before. This looks the same as the design we've had for a long while now, to me?

doh. just noticed Swamplot even said the "changes" are compared to the renderings they posted last year. so we have had this new design (and obviously all the "new" details) for the better part of a year. i guess Swamplot is just a little bit behind...

and i agree kbates. this version definitely suits Market Square better.

Edited by cloud713