Aris At Market Square: 32-Story High-Rise At 409 Travis St.

Mab

Will this one still begin any day now? I'm seeing something that says the start date has been pushed back.

I was told both would begin in November but that was several weeks ago and truth be told it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they were further delayed. They've had real issues with costs which have required countless reworks. I don't think people appreciate just how meticulous Hines is when they take on a project.

I've also heard they may be postponing a couple of as of yet unannounced projects. That's strictly secondhand info though.

• Like 1

I was told both would begin in November but that was several weeks ago and truth be told it wouldn't surprise me in the least if they were further delayed. They've had real issues with costs which have required countless reworks. I don't think people appreciate just how meticulous Hines is when they take on a project.

I've also heard they may be postponing a couple of as of yet unannounced projects. That's strictly secondhand info though.

I have a feeling you're talking about the ones off the bayou. I'm looking forward to those.

• 2 weeks later...

It's been there for several weeks. It's for the National Bank renovations.

Interesting. Do they park the gondolas on the scaffolding at night or something?

I figured that there might need to be some provision for shoring up the existing buildings on the block prior to digging out the foundation hole for the tower.  The wall next to the scaffolding looks kind of sketchy.

True.

But, I think that we will be waiting for oil to stabilize before this turns dirt.

No. It is a construction timing and resource issue.

Wouldn't they maybe wait to see how well the absorption for all the units coming on in 2014?*

Unlikely, but there are problably projects that are yet-to-be-announced that are waiting. This one, is not one of them.

• Like 1

So much has broken ground Downtown this quarter, we need something for which to look forward in 2015. I reiterate my hope that the combination of this, Market Square Tower (the apartment), and the eventual development of the Post Office site will lead to Treebeard's being open on weekends and weeknights. Love me some Treebeard's.

Wouldn't they maybe wait to see how well the absorption for all the units coming on in 2014?*

johnoliver_hbo.jpg?w=630&h=354&crop=1

AND NOW

ANOTHER THING THAT HOUSTON HAS A SHORTAGE OF:

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2014/10/23/housing-shortage-looms-for-houston-baby-oomers.html

Houston faces one of the largest housing shortages for Baby Boomers in the country, according to a new report.

Metrostudy Corp., a national housing research and consulting firm with an office in Houston, analyzed the current housing market for Boomers. It found that Houston has the second-largest deficit nationally for Baby Boomer housing. The Bayou City could face a shortage of more than 260,000 homes for active adults 55 and older...

• Like 2

johnoliver_hbo.jpg?w=630&h=354&crop=1

AND NOW

ANOTHER THING THAT HOUSTON HAS A SHORTAGE OF:

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2014/10/23/housing-shortage-looms-for-houston-baby-oomers.html

Houston faces one of the largest housing shortages for Baby Boomers in the country, according to a new report.

Metrostudy Corp., a national housing research and consulting firm with an office in Houston, analyzed the current housing market for Boomers. It found that Houston has the second-largest deficit nationally for Baby Boomer housing. The Bayou City could face a shortage of more than 260,000 homes for active adults 55 and older...

I wonder if ppl will really downsize. Especially her in Houston.

If you refinanced in the last 5 years or so / have paid off your house, what is the incentive to actually move? Smaller houses in 'hip' areas cost just as much as the house you're most likely going to sell and Interest rates are going to go up soon(ish?). 

I mean, you can use that $ you saved refinancing to hire a lawn person. Most suburbs are have a fake towncenter-like place now that bring enough of a city feel closer to where you live. And you have extra rooms for your kids / grandkids for the holidays.

I think this is 'shortage' is a manufactured crisis.

If you refinanced in the last 5 years or so / have paid off your house, what is the incentive to actually move? Smaller houses in 'hip' areas cost just as much as the house you're most likely going to sell and Interest rates are going to go up soon(ish?).

I mean, you can use that $ you saved refinancing to hire a lawn person. Most suburbs are have a fake towncenter-like place now that bring enough of a city feel closer to where you live. And you have extra rooms for your kids / grandkids for the holidays.

You do realize how big a pain in the ass it is to upkeep a 4,000 square foot 2 story house out in suburbia? Most older folks don't want to deal with all of that. Not to mention just don't need it. It cost a lot to air condition all of that space for just 2 people to use only part of the house.

I'm in the middle of up-sizing to a closer in neighborhood. I can tell you there is a shortage of SFH in the $700k-$800k range. I put down a deposit on a place near River Oaks a few weeks back. One week later the prices of the remaining 5 units in the development were raised by $10k and the only other one under construction sold also. It seemed like nearly every place I looked at was pending sold. My RE agent advised me to sign the papers right away if I wanted to get the place and she was correct. 

Getting a low interest 15 year loan on my first house and the equity I gained from the resurgence of Houston RE prices enabled me to move from a townhouse in the Memorial Villages area to a much larger SFH in the River Oaks shopping center area. 

Edited by jgriff

I already downsized.

My sister has downsized

A fiend has downsized.

Another friend has downsized.

All in Houston.

Lots more considering it.

That said, I agree with your final point.... I think that the "crisis" is in the best interests of the real estate Industry to tout.

Are people downsizing? Yes.

Crisis finding small homes in senior friendly areas? Nah.

Edited by UtterlyUrban
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

This tower is suppose to have tunnel access, correct? 

If so, would that be by connecting with One Market Square?  I'm just wondering if this tower's tunnel access is depended on One Market Square getting build, because it will also have tunnel access by connecting with the block directly south of it (Chronicle building).  Could that be delaying this project, if there is that dependency?  Also, Hines has know for a while about the proposed One Market Square/International Tower.

This tower is suppose to have tunnel access, correct?

If so, would that be by connecting with One Market Square? I'm just wondering if this tower's tunnel access is depended on One Market Square getting build, because it will also have tunnel access by connecting with the block directly south of it (Chronicle building). Could that be delaying this project, if there is that dependency? Also, Hines has know for a while about the proposed One Market Square/International Tower.

Don't overthink this... Tunnels have nothing to do with this delay. Not only would be it be borderline incompetent to pin a very expensive project on an adjacent project you zero control over, there is no chance that the immense cost associated w connecting to the tunnels would ever make sense for a residential tower on the far flung reaches of downtown.

Market conditions - that's what's delaying this project. Meaning construction costs and now, more recently, economic concerns. January is still the target.

• Like 2