Camp Strake Development

Muralpainter

Thought the topic was worthy of it's own thread. The BSA announced the sale of the camp in September. Curious to see what “develops” in the future of Camp Strake.

The Courier article: http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/courier/news/conroe-mayor-excited-about-camp-strake-development/article_8d1a921b-d2d7-59d9-be7c-728cf6f72276.html

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I noticed that Camp Strake had a Safe Harbor agreement with Fish and Wildlife. This sale would seem to point up the toothlessness of that designation. The site for the new camp by Sam Houston National Forest is probably more interesting, species-wise. Once, the Boy Scouts taking possession of that land would have seemed like a positive development, conservation-wise, but no longer. Quite the reverse.

I was wondering the same thing, but 50-feet is not typical for a pipeline. Additionally pipeline construction is typically closer to the roadway. The SJRA does not show water line construction in the area, maybe its sewer?

I was wondering the same thing, but 50-feet is not typical for a pipeline. Additionally pipeline construction is typically closer to the roadway. The SJRA does not show water line construction in the area, maybe its sewer?

50 feet is standard for a pipeline easement.

I don't think Chevron would be one of the suitors given that they just announced a new 50 story building downtown.

i have a very hard time believing either Shell or Chevron have expressed much interest in the site save for perhaps a small chunk for a data center or disaster recovery facility.

DOH!!!!    :blush:

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/courier/news/camp-strake-to-become-next-market-street-whispers-of-an/article_68a5253f-48a2-5346-a8f7-195987aab7c0.html

Despite rumors of another oil & gas company campus, Conroe officials have confirmed that the Camp Strake site will be home to a commercial/residential development and possibly a minor league baseball field.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2013/11/developer-closes-on-former-boy-scout.html

Houston-based Johnson Development Corp. this week inked the deal to acquire the Camp Strake property near Conroe for future development.

The master-planned community developer purchased the 2,046-acre site from Sam Houston Area Council Boy Scouts of America for an undisclosed price.

Johnson will create a comprehensive land plan to identify the parcels within the property that can be developed. The land planning process is expected to conclude in the summer of 2014.

• 1 month later...

The suburban campus office trend is a complete mistake. Young professionals do not want to live outside an urban area, this is a huge mistake in my opinion. I can't imagine personally making that drive and living in an urban area like I want.

I hope this is purely like a research site or something.

The suburban campus office trend is a complete mistake. Young professionals do not want to live outside an urban area, this is a huge mistake in my opinion. I can't imagine personally making that drive and living in an urban area like I want.

Young professionals grow older and some become parents. They'll make enough money to take the Hardy and miss most the traffic until they start their families. That said, I hate that this is happening.

I highly doubt these decisions are made for the sole benefit of the less experienced and less influential employees.  This type of stuff is done at a much higher paygrade.

The Woodlands is rapidly becoming an urban area.

I highly doubt these decisions are made for the sole benefit of the less experienced and less influential employees.  This type of stuff is done at a much higher paygrade.

I understand, but a centralized office / campus seems to have much more upside. Closer to other offices, closer to customers, closer to the 'best the city has to offer - type' ammenities.

As a young professional, I just don't see this as a good move. I wont argue on who decides these things, or if it is a popular decision or not. People who work for Exxon who live in Sugarland, will now either have to commute twice as long, or move. That automatically asks alot of the employees. When your central, your employees can live and maintain whichever lifestyle they want. I am sure this is not news to anyone on here. I am just shocked that this could be a trend. hopefully downtown continues to thrive with or without the relocating companies. I have been so excited for the DT development.

I've heard that energy companies are promising telecommuting options to woo people averse to daily commutes. For instance 30% or 50% telecommuting for certain jobs. Remember that these companies are trying to appear green and environmental initiatives are a part of their big picture. Reducing commutes is something they strive for. I would argue that any plan would have included feasibility studies to reduce company-wide commute times.

In my experience, very few jobs can be done by telecommuting.

Sure, service jobs will always require the employee to be on-location. But my experience is just the opposite of yours. On a typical day I talk to people all over the country and often from international locations. There are plenty of tools like Webex and Lync that make virtual meetings very productive. IMO, remote office working with occasional onsite visits to the office or with clients is the ideal working environment.

Going back to suburban campuses vs. urban offices...I agree that suburban offices seems to be going against the tide if they want to attract young professionals. But many older folks with families will want to live in the suburbs. So I think much of it depends on what kind of employees they wish to attract. I've reverse commuted before and even though it might sound better, it's still a waste of gas and trudging through suburban traffic was still a headache despite going "against the flow".

In my experience, very few jobs can be done by telecommuting.

Depends on the job.  The tools available for remote collaboration now are pretty good.  I've been working with people all over the country and overseas for almost 8 years and am more productive than ever.  Biggest hurdle I've seen so far is old-school (micro) managers who want to see everyone in their cubicles.

I've heard that energy companies are promising telecommuting options to woo people averse to daily commutes. For instance 30% or 50% telecommuting for certain jobs. Remember that these companies are trying to appear green and environmental initiatives are a part of their big picture. Reducing commutes is something they strive for. I would argue that any plan would have included feasibility studies to reduce company-wide commute times.

That's the direction companies should be moving in.  Distribute the employment centers and let as many people as possible work remotely or on a flexible schedule.  It would do wonders for peak congestion, more than any amount of public transport could.

I understand, but a centralized office / campus seems to have much more upside. Closer to other offices, closer to customers, closer to the 'best the city has to offer - type' ammenities.

As a young professional, I just don't see this as a good move. I wont argue on who decides these things, or if it is a popular decision or not. People who work for Exxon who live in Sugarland, will now either have to commute twice as long, or move. That automatically asks alot of the employees. When your central, your employees can live and maintain whichever lifestyle they want. I am sure this is not news to anyone on here. I am just shocked that this could be a trend. hopefully downtown continues to thrive with or without the relocating companies. I have been so excited for the DT development.

I'd argue that you really want your residence to be closer to the "best the city has to offer" rather than the office.

Archived