Interstate 35 Cut And Cap Proposal

JLWM8609

An urban architect and designer has proposed a plan to make I-35 depressed through downtown Austin and to cap it to allow the land to be re-purposed. So far, the Austin City Council thinks it's a good idea.

http://impactnews.com/austin-metro/central-austin/austin-city-council-backs-study-of-i-35-cut-and-cap-proposal/

The double deck split is north of downtown. The part of I-35 through Austin that is most awful is there: the ditch-like lower deck, with its almost non-existent on ramps and shoulders. These are nearly universally scary the first time you experience them. It is surprising there are not more accidents; I think they tend to bring out vigilance.

So: the thought of creating another tunnel-like situation will not, I think, appeal to most Austin drivers, when the double deck craziness cries out to be reimagined.

The completion of the Waller Creek floodwater diversion has civic leaders looking forward to that area of downtown being rebuilt. They love a fresh start (the follow-through, and long-term upkeep, are not Austin's strong suit). That section of interstate being hard by has thus momentarily drawn their attention.

• The title was changed to Interstate 35 Cut And Cap Proposal

Archived