Hilton Hampton Inn/Homewood Suites Hotels At 710 Crawford St.

Houston19514

It is much turning out just how I expected.  I would like for it to be slicker and prettier.  But, It ain't too bad for a Hampton Inn.  And, it's the best Homewood Suites I've ever taken notice of.  I think the window/skin pattern is taking a que from the Hilton, it seems.  I appreciate that. 

• Like 5

Holy cow that's ugly. Add another one to the list that turned out far worse than the latest rendering.

It's not a gem, but it's just a Hampton Inn. Those things don't typically make any kind of impact on a skyline unless you're Raleigh or some place like that.

• Like 3

I'm going to look at the bright side of this as this will add more needed hotel rooms to downtown. We're going to get some first rate hotels and we're going to get this. At least this one is in a somewhat inconspicuous part of downtown, as opposed to looming over Discovery green. 

• Like 5

I'm going to look at the bright side of this as this will add more needed hotel rooms to downtown. We're going to get some first rate hotels and we're going to get this. At least this one is in a somewhat inconspicuous part of downtown, as opposed to looming over Discovery green. 

This, being more affordable hotels in downtown. I'll take it.

• Like 2

I took a tour of the Med center/Museum district/  Montrose/ Midtown and Downtown areas on Saturday. I was  surprised there were not more people walking around. Especially around midtown. By my  un-scientific perception midtown appears the most densely populated. It was a beautiful day. Left perplexed, though everything looks great in all the areas I visited.

I took a tour of the Med center/Museum district/  Montrose/ Midtown and Downtown areas on Saturday. I was  surprised there were not more people walking around. Especially around midtown. By my  un-scientific perception midtown appears the most densely populated. It was a beautiful day. Left perplexed, though everything looks great in all the areas I visited.

Ha. My girlfriend said the samething Saturday night. We went to Simply Pho in Midtown and the area was pretty dead. I suspect it's that a lot of people were at the Market Square festival. Downtown was actually pretty packed Saturday night.

lol we should be happy that a prime location looks like a jail house? Our standards are so damn low in Houston, zomg a building has a curve BUILD IT! It helps create density so its great! We need to higher our standards and challenge the status quo, this building looks AWFUL. No ifs buts about it.

lol we should be happy that a prime location looks like a jail house? Our standards are so damn low in Houston, zomg a building has a curve BUILD IT! It helps create density so its great! We need to higher our standards and challenge the status quo, this building looks AWFUL. No ifs buts about it.

So should we start dictating architectural guidelines for developers downtown? If every new building has to meet some sort of aesthetic ideal we'll be stuck with a sea of parking lots forever. Plus, as has already been mentioned, we need cheaper hotel rooms downtown as well so everyone can come here and enjoy it. 

And yes, density is important in a market such as downtown. 

• Like 8

New construction Hampton Inns that are built to significantly higher architectural standards than this are few and far between.  (I have not been able to find any.)

Take a look at the glorious Hampton Inns in the much-envied downtowns of Austin, Chicago, Denver and Seattle.

When viewed in the context of the real world, ours looks pretty good.

The back side of ours looks better than the front side of any of those.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 5

Same developer owns the other half of the block. Which means we can expect the same thing to happen -- a decent rendering of the hotel to be released, only for the final product to be toned down.

Since the west side will be covered by the  other planned hotel I wouldn't have expected much from this side of the building anyway.

Have to agree. The West facing wall was made to be covered up. Whatever they do street level along Crawford will make or break the thing visually, but it's going to be lost in the shuffle between the Marquis and (hopefully) Tramell Crow's tower.

• Like 1

New construction Hampton Inns that are built to significantly higher architectural standards than this are few and far between.  (I have not been able to find any.)

Take a look at the glorious Hampton Inns in the much-envied downtowns of Austin, Chicago, Denver and Seattle.

When viewed in the context of the real world, ours looks pretty good.

The back side of ours looks better than the front side of any of those.

The side facing Crawford will be just as bad. The developer released a pretty nice rendering of this and the final product comes out bland. This is a lower-market hotel yes, but it'd be nice if it didn't look like it was cheaply built in the 90's. Wasn't hoping for a masterpiece, just what was shown to us.

Here's a few pics of Hampton Inns/Homewood Suites in other cities from the beginning of this thread. Most are more pleasing to the eye than ours.

One planned for Chicago:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/realestate/20140513/CRED03/140519952/hotels-are-in-office-is-out-for-proposed-west-loop-high-rise

Hamilton Canada:

https://developmentduffett.wordpress.com/2014/05/28/homewood-suites-hampton-inn-near-completion/comment-page-1/

Challenge accepted. I'm not saying that "Nothing good ever gets built in Houston", what I'm saying is this building will be ugly and an eye sore, based soley off the Embassy Suites. And even if I thought nothing good ever gets built in this city, I can freely do so on this forum.

Anyways, here is your "challenge" (Not much of one really, a quick google/bing search, not looking for the holy grail).

This one was built in the Historic District of Columbia, SC.

2jaaq35.jpg

http://www.hamptoninncolumbia.com/

I'm not sure where this one is, but it looks decent.

2im8avo.jpg

And this one of Chattanoga, looks like the Gables being built on San Felipe.

2qd8z01.jpg

Or what about the ones that use old historic buildings?

Birmingham

30mwpx5.jpg

Mexico City

nfmdk0.jpg

Ogden, UT

34e6v7c.jpg

Edit: And here is one for the cheap seats in the back:

Boston

2d7daat.jpg

So quit your bitching about my bitching :P

• Like 7

The side facing Crawford will be just as bad. The developer released a pretty nice rendering of this and the final product comes out bland. This is a lower-market hotel yes, but it'd be nice if it didn't look like it was cheaply built in the 90's. Wasn't hoping for a masterpiece, just what was shown to us.

Here's a few pics of Hampton Inns/Homewood Suites in other cities from the beginning of this thread. Most are more pleasing to the eye than ours.

One planned for Chicago:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/realestate/20140513/CRED03/140519952/hotels-are-in-office-is-out-for-proposed-west-loop-high-rise

Hamilton Canada:

https://developmentduffett.wordpress.com/2014/05/28/homewood-suites-hampton-inn-near-completion/comment-page-1/

Interesting, this wasn't a cow reference, it was a Cupertino

The ones inside existing structures are nice. The others, moo...

Ours, double moo...

Edited by Sunstar