Sign in to follow this  
samagon

Railroad quiet zone?

Just read that the railroad line that goes up from spur 5 towards downtown is going to become a quiet zone, so does anyone know about the other lines that cross the east end? The one that goes down Harrisburg? The one that crosses telephone and Lawndale?

They've done some improvements at the telephone crossing, and also at the Lawndale crossing. Is this part of the process for that line?

Not sure if the Quiet Zone has been implemented, but I have noticed a large DEcrease in the amount of train horns I've been hearing over here in the East End. It's been weeks, I would say, since I've been awakened at 3 or 5 am with a blaring train horn. Does anyone have news about this or am I just sleeping deeper than normal, as I get older??

Over here on Antoine near the BNSF crossing there are signs that are still covered saying "NO TRAIN HORN". They would still blow the horn day and night . Your ears are getting accustomed to hearing the horns that it is routine and it doesn't bother your sleep patterns . I'm very much used to it . 

Not sure if the Quiet Zone has been implemented, but I have noticed a large DEcrease in the amount of train horns I've been hearing over here in the East End. It's been weeks, I would say, since I've been awakened at 3 or 5 am with a blaring train horn. Does anyone have news about this or am I just sleeping deeper than normal, as I get older??

When I asked Councilman Gallegos about this several months ago, and he thought the Quiet Zone would be implemented "in a month or so"

Apparently this hasn't happened. I work at home and still hear the horns at the Lawndale Ave. and Telephone Road crossings during the day. For the past couple of hours this evening, they've been sounding long and often. Some nights, there are "dueling horns" between 1:00 and 2:30.

Any updates on East End's first Quiet Zone from our COH councilman or SuperNeighborhood leaders would be welcome.

It's amazing how the weather can affect what you can hear as well.

During the winter when the air is just a little bit more dense because it's cold, the noise travels farther, and it is louder and a bit more crisp to the ear, now that we're in the midst of summer the air is hot and damp, the hot air is not as dense, so the sound doesn't travel quite as far/well, the humidity factors into this as well, muffling the sound more. 

I know they are implementing the quiet zone, but last week I too heard a train faintly as I sat on my porch enjoying the mosquitoes and a cool drink.

Also, the longer you live around them, the less you notice them. 6 years ago, when I first moved into the neighborhood I heard every single horn, I would wake up at intervals through the night and listen to what I would swear was the operator just standing on his horn for what seemed like an hour straight. Now a days, when I'm in the house, I have to strain to hear it.

I imagine if I didn't know they were implementing a quiet zone, I'd not even notice they were missing.